Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With Sync3 and Carplay How do I choose maps

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default With Sync3 and Carplay How do I choose maps

I recently updated my Sync3 in my 2016 Platinum to add Apple Carplay. For the most part I like it, but can't figure out how to use the default Ford maps when my iPhone plugged in. Most of my driving is on rural roads out of cell phone range so the maps on my iPhone can't work there. There must be a way to use the normal Sync3 Ford maps without unplugging the phone. Help!
Old 11-14-2017, 06:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

See my post on Sygic!
Old 11-14-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

middlebass, you have to disable CarPlay through the settings menu if you want to keep your phone plugged into one of the USBs in the front console bin. For some reason, Ford doesn’t allow both to be available simultaneously. We also have a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. The in-car nav is available when the iPhone is plugged in and CarPlay is active.
The following users liked this post:
middlebass (11-15-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 09:59 PM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jbc77
middlebass, you have to disable CarPlay through the settings menu if you want to keep your phone plugged into one of the USBs in the front console bin. For some reason, Ford doesn’t allow both to be available simultaneously. We also have a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. The in-car nav is available when the iPhone is plugged in and CarPlay is active.
The ladyfriend’s VW allows both as well. This is one of my biggest complaints about Sync.
The following users liked this post:
middlebass (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip about disabling Carplay. I had seen that option, but was hoping there was a better one. FWIW, I still have the old 7" screen Garmin from my previous F-150 and on some road trips I have found it useful to have both it and the Sync3 Nav on with different settings, e.g., the Garmin with north locked up and zoomed out to keep better track of where we are on a very winding road. And each has different pros and cons for certain types of searches and more.

So another solution is to keep Apple Carplay on and use the Garmin when out of cellphone range.

Last edited by middlebass; 11-15-2017 at 10:07 AM.