Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SYNC ain't doing zip. zero, nodda.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 07:37 PM

Received 199 Likes on 137 Posts

Default SYNC ain't doing zip. zero, nodda.

Truck is a couple of weeks old and my SYNC 3 is dead...I guess. It started a day or so after taking delivery with the Sirius choosing to work whenever it felt like working. Then it progressed to Sirius and the AM/FM choosing if and when to play. So this afternoon I pull out of the garage, the back up camera is working great, but then I go forward and the screen goes black with the exception of a lighted "CANCEL" button on the screen and the message of "watch your surroundings". But, the Sirius was playing great with the exception of being stuck on the Beatles station and no way to change it.

So I stop the truck and put it in reverse, the rear camera comes on and works great. And the Sirius is still playing the Beatles station to the delight of my wife. So off we go to our destination. Upon arrival I turn off the truck, wait a few minutes after opening the door and restart the truck. This time blue screen, no Sirius, no functions when trying to use the buttons or ***** on the center console of the entertainment system. Also no functions of the steering wheel buttons and no voice for voice commands.

Anyone else faced such like problems from their Sync system

FWIW, this is a 2019 F150 XLT

I guess I could go pull the connections off of the battery to see if it resets itself when hooking the battery back up.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:52 PM

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

I'd try to reset the APIM. Before my APIM totally died, I could get it to at least work for a while by performing a reset on it.
To reboot APIM: OFF and Forward button (right) Hold for 5+ seconds
Many have had the APIM (Sync is in the APIM) module replaced. In order to get it replaced, you'll have to be able to replicate the problem at the dealer. I finally drove to the dealer once mine quit working, and with the service writer standing there, did the reboot of the APIM and they agreed to replace it. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
jonrjen (06-16-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 09:04 PM

Received 199 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by breakers28
I'd try to reset the APIM. Before my APIM totally died, I could get it to at least work for a while by performing a reset on it.
To reboot APIM: OFF and Forward button (right) Hold for 5+ seconds
Many have had the APIM (Sync is in the APIM) module replaced. In order to get it replaced, you'll have to be able to replicate the problem at the dealer. I finally drove to the dealer once mine quit working, and with the service writer standing there, did the reboot of the APIM and they agreed to replace it. Good luck.
Went to take your advice and reset things, Jumped in the truck and fired it up and low and behold the center screen comes up with the Ford Blue Oval followed by the message that Sirius has updated. Next the home screen showing the map and the Sirius station that was playing.
I then got a message that said that the Sync required an update via WiFi or the FordPass App. I pulled around to the front of the house so I could tie into the internet and hit the yes button to connect and the screen locked up, but the nav map and Sirius information was still on the screen just under the Connect to WiFi message page.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:31 AM

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

There are many threads re: Sync updates but the main point is updating by wifi dosen't work. You need to go to the MYFORD web site, create a log in, enter your vin. It will tell you if you are up to date. More importantly if you need to update from there, you can download to a memory stick to insert in the dash USB hub to update.
jonrjen (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 08:43 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,359 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked ace
There are many threads re: Sync updates but the main point is updating by wifi dosen't work. You need to go to the MYFORD web site, create a log in, enter your vin. It will tell you if you are up to date. More importantly if you need to update from there, you can download to a memory stick to insert in the dash USB hub to update.
This ^^

The latest Sync 3 v3.3 is Build 19052.

However what you experienced is nothing new. Most Sirius applications update multiple times per month.
jonrjen (06-16-2019)
Old 02-26-2020, 09:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmmm. Updates? Mine quit working for almost a year. I cancelled satellite radio and it started working perfectly again ...that was a little over a month ago and going strong.

Quick Reply: SYNC ain't doing zip. zero, nodda.