Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync 3 USB hub issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 03:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sync 3 USB hub issues

I recently upgraded my XLT 4.2" to a 8" Sync 3 system. I recently just got around to upgrading the USB Hub so I can run Android Auto but I am having issues.

I wasnt able to get any interaction with my phone and sync 3. In fact, no power is going to the actual usb ports even though the blue LED's are lit up. I hooked up the power source from my 4dtech wire harness and used my existing female USB connection and just plugged in using a male usb to mini usb wire.(hopefully pic explains better)

Does my wire config not work or do I need to enable something via forscan? Or am I missing a step?

Edit: THis is the hub i bought (HC3Z-19A387-B BLUE)

Old 10-27-2018, 03:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Disclaimer, I don't have your setup and am working with no familiarity to it. My comments and questions are based on what I would do to troubleshoot.

The blue LED's are separate functionality from the actual USB ports. Just because they are lit, or not, gives no indication that the USB ports are working.

Regarding the USB ports; this may seem like a dumb question, but does your existing female USB connection work. Don't assume it does now, just because it did. Recheck it. The second question, wouldn't this require a USB crossover cable, and not a regular straight-through extension? Perhaps not, but seems like it should.

Apologies in advance if this sends you down the wrong path.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by SomewhereInIndy
Disclaimer, I don't have your setup and am working with no familiarity to it. My comments and questions are based on what I would do to troubleshoot.

The blue LED's are separate functionality from the actual USB ports. Just because they are lit, or not, gives no indication that the USB ports are working.

Regarding the USB ports; this may seem like a dumb question, but does your existing female USB connection work. Don't assume it does now, just because it did. Recheck it. The second question, wouldn't this require a USB crossover cable, and not a regular straight-through extension? Perhaps not, but seems like it should.

Apologies in advance if this sends you down the wrong path.

Yes, I tested the female connection and it works. Good question though, always good to shoot for easiest first

So, I am just using a cable that came with one of my A/V devices that hooks the device to a computer/laptop. I didnt know there is a difference in the wiring of the actual cable itself. So you are saying a crossover cable would be wired different than mine?
Old 10-27-2018, 05:39 PM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

I think the hubs on these are USB 2.X. So crossover cables should not be needed.

To OP. Are you sure you connected to the correct ports on the APIM?

I have not looked at an APIM so this is just a SWAG. Connect your cable to the back and see if it works. If so your cable is bad if not something in the APIM is not right.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mlarv
I think the hubs on these are USB 2.X. So crossover cables should not be needed.

To OP. Are you sure you connected to the correct ports on the APIM?

I have not looked at an APIM so this is just a SWAG. Connect your cable to the back and see if it works. If so your cable is bad if not something in the APIM is not right.
hmm...I haven't touched the apim side of the cable. Its plugged in where it was original. I don think I can test th cable that way as the connector is different on the apim side
Old 10-27-2018, 06:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

But Mlarv, if the female USB works, and once connected the end USB connection doesn't, it shouldn't be an APIM port issue. Stated differently, if it works unconnected to any extension, and it doesn't when connect to an extension, it's likely the extension.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:07 PM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by SomewhereInIndy
But Mlarv, if the female USB works, and once connected the end USB connection doesn't, it shouldn't be an APIM port issue. Stated differently, if it works unconnected to any extension, and it doesn't when connect to an extension, it's likely the extension.
True enough
Old 10-27-2018, 09:49 PM

Received 647 Likes on 340 Posts

What do you mean its plugged into the same place as the original. The original APIM should be gone and replaced with the SYNC3 APIM. The plugs aren't even the same. You would have had to modify it to get it to fit on the SYNC3 apim. Something tells me you are not connected properly or did you replace the entire USB cable from APIM to USB hub?
Old 10-28-2018, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by jm061
What do you mean its plugged into the same place as the original. The original APIM should be gone and replaced with the SYNC3 APIM. The plugs aren't even the same. You would have had to modify it to get it to fit on the SYNC3 apim. Something tells me you are not connected properly or did you replace the entire USB cable from APIM to USB hub?
fair point, i had to modify the plastic connector a little bit to connect to the sync 3 apim
Old 10-28-2018, 01:31 AM

Received 647 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by srteblue
fair point, i had to modify the plastic connector a little bit to connect to the sync 3 apim
just plug a usb drive into the original end of the cable. It should see the device at least. That way you can narrow the issue down a bit.

Quick Reply: Sync 3 USB hub issues