Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subwoofer add - better to NOT use FORscan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 04:33 PM

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Subwoofer add - better to NOT use FORscan?

Planning to add a powered subwoofer to my 18 Lariat. I will likely use the power from the WPT-1212, but I am thinking of getting remote turn on power from the fuse panel, and using the Front left speaker lines and a LOC for audio signal. It will be easy to access, tap into, and run a couple wires to make this work.

It sounds like the fronts get a full-range signal with more bass than the rears, and I think I can do all this w/o using FORscan (not that I am adverse to FORscan, having used it for other mods).

Any thoughts on this plan from those more experienced?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 05-15-2018, 03:31 AM

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts

Thant's a good idea. Ever use those inline bassblockers ? They are a good simple inexpensive way to highpass the door speakers so they aren't playing any of the same low freqs as the sub. They will let the sub freqs stand out more. Otherwise, there will be cancellation and phase issues with the redundant lows.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by UncleG
Thant's a good idea. Ever use those inline bassblockers ? They are a good simple inexpensive way to highpass the door speakers so they aren't playing any of the same low freqs as the sub. They will let the sub freqs stand out more. Otherwise, there will be cancellation and phase issues with the redundant lows.
If I use a bassblocker, would it be better to feed the sub from the rears? The fronts are Polk 6x9s and actually do a decent job of producing bass while the rears are just 6.5s. Or do I want to cancel below 150 to all door speakers and just let the sub do the lows?

M
Old 05-15-2018, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over the weekend I installed a sub into my 2018 xlt, I used the wpt-1212 for signal and ran my own power and remote wire. If you would like I can take a look at what fuse # I tapped into. The only difficult part was running the power wire from the battery, grommets and wire aren't very pliable when its 30 degrees outside haha.
The following users liked this post:
aceinyourface (03-22-2022)
Old 05-15-2018, 02:17 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Flowdaddy
Over the weekend I installed a sub into my 2018 xlt, I used the wpt-1212 for signal and ran my own power and remote wire. If you would like I can take a look at what fuse # I tapped into. The only difficult part was running the power wire from the battery, grommets and wire aren't very pliable when its 30 degrees outside haha.
you aren't kidding...I fed 4ga. power wire through last December.... here's a hint....Use lube.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SixShooter14
you aren't kidding...I fed 4ga. power wire through last December.... here's a hint....Use lube.
I made the unfortunate mistake of pulling the grommet out of the fire wall by pulling to hard, that thing was a bitch to get back in. Oh and I didn't even start until 9:30pm on friday. Nothing better than running wires in a cold dark driveway.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:30 PM
Official HTT Greeter

I made the unfortunate mistake of pulling the grommet out of the fire wall by pulling to hard, that thing was a bitch to get back in. Oh and I didn't even start until 9:30pm on friday. Nothing better than running wires in a cold dark driveway.
Haha, I was a little more prepared. I did all the mounting and interior work between 9-midnight after work in the 20F parking lot....Then for the wiring I waited for a warm (40s) saturday and started pulling wire at about 10am....used a knife to stab a large X in the big rubber grommet. Then electrical taped a wire coat hanger to the end of the power wire. (though the 4ga. wire was just as stiff as the hanger.)...then using a generous amount of ...personal lubricant....coating the entire length of the wire, I pushed/pulled it through to the passenger floorboard. Wiped it off and ran down the passenger door sill.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:41 PM

I went out to get started today on my 2018 Lariat HDPP and found that there is no factory sub connector behind the C pillar on the drivers side. That threw my plans for a loop. I've pulled a power wire from the battery, but now I'm trying to figure out which wires to tap for front right speaker feed to my LOC. Not to mention remote turn on. Turning into a PITA job.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:06 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Originally Posted by mhamershock
I went out to get started today on my 2018 Lariat HDPP and found that there is no factory sub connector behind the C pillar on the drivers side. That threw my plans for a loop. I've pulled a power wire from the battery, but now I'm trying to figure out which wires to tap for front right speaker feed to my LOC. Not to mention remote turn on. Turning into a PITA job.
Interesting, have you talked to any other '18 owners? I wonder if they've all been removed.

Mine was attached to a hook way down at the bottom and was a real PITA to get loose.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:22 PM

Received 706 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by SixShooter14
Interesting, have you talked to any other '18 owners? I wonder if they've all been removed.

Mine was attached to a hook way down at the bottom and was a real PITA to get loose.
I have an 18 302a and the wiring is there.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer add - better to NOT use FORscan?