Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange/bad place for the new entry keypad

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Strange/bad place for the new entry keypad

I noticed that they mounted it vertically on the door sill now, anyone else see any security concerns with that being higher and not guarded by your body that it's easy line of sight for would be thieves, etc? Not to mention will be a real PITA for lifted trucks for anyone shorter than 6' tall?
Old 02-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Ehh, I think it's fine. I doubt anyone would be able to get close enough to see your numbers anyway without you seeing them.

As far as the lifted issue goes, don't lift the truck and you'll be fine.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:02 PM

Received 242 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by HardcoreFXFour
Ehh, I think it's fine. I doubt anyone would be able to get close enough to see your numbers anyway without you seeing them.

Exactly. I'm short which is why I am not lifting my truck lol.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:34 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

I've also got an escape with the keypad on the door frame mounted vertically. It's not an issue since I don't use it. It's actually integrated flush into the plastic.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:37 PM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

I dont see it really being a problem unless you locked your keys in the truck, even then, odds are a theif isn't going to be prepared to watch you put in the number and then follow you home or something
Old 03-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Proudly Canadian

Received 124 Likes on 113 Posts

Lower it, then you'll REALLY have no issue
Old 03-01-2014, 01:45 AM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS
Exactly. I'm short which is why I am not lifting my truck lol.
Seen plenty of short dudes with huge lifts...lol.

OP has a point. Guess its best to not use door keypad in highly public areas if you can help it.

Originally Posted by Bryson
I dont see it really being a problem unless you locked your keys in the truck, even then, odds are a theif isn't going to be prepared to watch you put in the number and then follow you home or something
Higher model F150s will have push button start and FOB will will open doors automatically. So if you leave your FOB in the cab I doubt it will allow you to lock truck using door switch. I dont think all new F150 models will get push button so yeah odds are low if you use the pad. But some thieves are crafty bastards, might follow you home, so drive home fast after using door keypad!!! lol

Last edited by Lord-of-Ford; 03-01-2014 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:22 AM

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

It looks much cleaner then the older/current one on our door handles. And if someone wants to get into your truck bad enough that they are willing to watch you use your keypad with binoculars somewhere then you have more serious things to worry about.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by HardcoreFXFour

My 75 year old neighbor saw me using my code to unlock...he told me that he could see the code...I laughed ...then he came up and did it...perfectly. He confessed he didn't see the actual numbers...just saw the order in which I pressed the buttons.

I'm more careful now and use my body to mask the sequence.

Dont want him to take my truck for a joy ride with his buddies.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:50 AM
HOPEFUL

Received 266 Likes on 197 Posts

most of Ford's current lineup has the keypad on the pillar, in fact I think the only vehicles that still had it elsewhere is the trucks, 150's on the handle, Super Duty's on a stand alone keypad under the handle, and expeditions were in the window belt moulding above the handle.
I understand the OP's concern, however as someone else said, unless you leave the keys IN THE TRUCK, they arent going to be able to steal the truck, and if the theif wants in that bad, they probably wont be using/worried about that keypad to begin with.

Quick Reply: Strange/bad place for the new entry keypad