Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steep Hill

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Steep Hill

@LivoniaBob just drove from Michigan to California, and has been describing his trip on this forum.

As I read that post, I was reminded of a time about 10 or 12 years ago when I was north of Wendover, Utah, skirting the Great Salt Desert, and found myself climbing a no-name road called Patterson Pass. It got so steep that my 4.6L 1999 F-150 didn't have the torque to move forward in 4 High. Ya, I probably shouldn't have been there, but I did make it over in 4 Low, and promptly wandered around in Utah a while on roads without names, navigating north until I came back to paved roads again.

That made me think about the new F-150, and I wish that I could take that road with the new truck, and have the off-road screen tell me how steep it is. And compare how much more power the new trucks have these days. Maybe I need a road trip in my near future.

Pictured below is the steepest grade that I drive up semi-regularly (see pics below). I believe that 13 degrees is about a 23% grade. It's nothing for the F-150 that I drive now, and is at most an opportunity to play with Hill Descent Control. Being from Michigan, it's about my only opportunity, come to think...

Question 1: Does anyone have a guess as to why the truck give you degrees when all road in the US are measured in percent grade? I always figure that 1 degree is about 2% of grade, when I'm driving, but that's just an estimate until I get to a computer to see what it really is.

Question 2: Anyone drive any steeper roads than this? Does anyone use their Hill Descent Control for anything other than curiosity?

Just idly wondering...
Attached Thumbnails Steep Hill-hdc1.jpg   Steep Hill-hdc2.jpg  
Old 07-28-2016, 05:25 PM

Received 352 Likes on 245 Posts

I use the HDC every 2 weeks, but no fun hills.

Maybe there is a Forscan fix for the degrees vs percentage.

Last edited by srg963; 07-28-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Steep Hill