Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare tire with larger aftermarket tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 11:47 PM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Spare tire with larger aftermarket tires?

I’ve got 34” Ridge Grapplers on my truck now and I’ve been thinking, What if I get a flat and need to swap out for the spare ? Do you guys that have larger aftermarket tires get another one as your spare? If so, where do you store it? Does it fit underneath the truck where the stock spare does?

If you don’t get a 5th tire, how safe is it to drive with the smaller tire ?

Old 07-02-2018, 11:54 PM

Received 1,330 Likes on 797 Posts

I bought five tires when I switched to MTRs. Mine barely fits in the hole. 18 years later I haven't had a single flat. I pretty much consider the spare a waste of weight on the road, but any size is exactly what you need when you rip a hole in a sidewall deep in the back country.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:38 AM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MeatWagon17
I’ve got 34” Ridge Grapplers on my truck now and I’ve been thinking, What if I get a flat and need to swap out for the spare ? Do you guys that have larger aftermarket tires get another one as your spare? If so, where do you store it? Does it fit underneath the truck where the stock spare does?

If you don’t get a 5th tire, how safe is it to drive with the smaller tire ?

A 34” will fit in the stock spare location. I always keep a full size spare just in case. I’d rather spend the money and never use it than not have it. If you had to run a different size spare, run it up front and don’t use 4WD.
The following users liked this post:
MeatWagon17 (07-03-2018)

Quick Reply: Spare tire with larger aftermarket tires?