Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soooo Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soooo Disappointed

Let me start by saying that I have always been pleased with Ford trucks. I still own the first new truck I ever bought, a 1985 F150, and there have been others between then and now. But then came my new 2015 beer can body truck...what a let down. I discovered this forum while searching for comments on door alignment problems. This truck of mine has been to the dealer 3 times to correct the doors, each time coming back an entirely new kind of screwed up. Passenger side is perfect, drivers side looks like it came back from a collision shop that did a sloppy job of re-building. So I requested that the dealer arrange for someone from Ford to look at it when it goes back for the fourth time, explaining that this meets all the requirements for a buy back demand using my states lemon law. They agreed, so I'll see what Ford has to say. But the other big disappointment cant be fixed, and that is with the handling. Here in Vermont, most of our back roads are dirt, and they develop a washboard. This truck will almost spin sideways at low speed on washboard, which I can only attribute to the weight reduction. And then there is the snow. Today was our first snow of the season, and I found that handling and control on wet and slushy snow horrible compared to previous models, again I attribute this to the weight reduction. So the bottom line in my ever so humble opinion, is that if the body was aligned properly, this would be a great truck for the mom who wants to look bad *** bringing the kids to soccer practice, or hauling garbage to the dump on Saturday. But for those of us in the back woods that chose a truck due to local road conditions, not the best choice. I just hope they didn't screw up the F250, I would hate to call myself a Chevy man!
Old 12-29-2015, 02:59 PM

Received 877 Likes on 568 Posts

Have any pictures of the door alignment?
Old 12-29-2015, 03:03 PM

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by GMVT
Let me start by saying that I have always been pleased with Ford trucks. I still own the first new truck I ever bought, a 1985 F150, and there have been others between then and now. But then came my new 2015 beer can body truck...what a let down. I discovered this forum while searching for comments on door alignment problems. This truck of mine has been to the dealer 3 times to correct the doors, each time coming back an entirely new kind of screwed up. Passenger side is perfect, drivers side looks like it came back from a collision shop that did a sloppy job of re-building. So I requested that the dealer arrange for someone from Ford to look at it when it goes back for the fourth time, explaining that this meets all the requirements for a buy back demand using my states lemon law. They agreed, so I'll see what Ford has to say. But the other big disappointment cant be fixed, and that is with the handling. Here in Vermont, most of our back roads are dirt, and they develop a washboard. This truck will almost spin sideways at low speed on washboard, which I can only attribute to the weight reduction. And then there is the snow. Today was our first snow of the season, and I found that handling and control on wet and slushy snow horrible compared to previous models, again I attribute this to the weight reduction. So the bottom line in my ever so humble opinion, is that if the body was aligned properly, this would be a great truck for the mom who wants to look bad *** bringing the kids to soccer practice, or hauling garbage to the dump on Saturday. But for those of us in the back woods that chose a truck due to local road conditions, not the best choice. I just hope they didn't screw up the F250, I would hate to call myself a Chevy man!
I personally don't think the 2015 models look that badass...infact the more I see the more I like my 2013.

A couple of questions...are you running 20 inch tires/wheels? Is it an ecoboost 3.5?

The handling in my opinion has nothing to do with weight reduction.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

how long did you test drive this truck? and this isnt noticeable immediately?

I ask out of curiosity, not trying to be rude, Im developing a list of things to watch out for if i decide to pull the trigger on a f150. But I have to say, its not looking good thus far.

Originally Posted by dannofx4
The handling in my opinion has nothing to do with weight reduction.
elaborate? Its already a common problem on trucks, and making the truck bed even lighter (potentially making the front to back ratio even worse) could have a dramatic effect on handling.

Ive never had an issue in a fullsize ext/crew cab, but in my s10s, tacomas, and reg cab chevy trucks, they have ALL had issues with the rear sliding around in the rain. Some of them ive done complete 180-360s in without warning.

Last edited by SilverSurfer15; 12-29-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:07 PM
F150 Lighting Experts

Received 405 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm disappointed to hear about your door gap and QC issues, but you can't really blame Ford for being an industry leader when it comes to weight loss. That's something they had to do as fuel mileage standards become more and more challenging.

Maybe I'm wrong for saying this, but couldn't you just throw a few sand bags in the bed to add weight and help with your handling needs for those local roads?

Nick C.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,647 Posts

The F150 is the new Ranger...need something bigger? get an F250.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer a few different questions: Tires are 265 70 R17. Truck is a super cab with the 5 liter, I traded a '12 with a eco boost for this because I had the half baked idea to put a plow on it for my driveway. As for the sand bag suggestion, I think that would help, but then I also use it for hauling so loading and unloading a load of sand bags would be a royal pain. Did I test drive? Well, a basic run around the block, but not on the back roads and during a snow storm. I'm convinced it's the weight, driving in the snow was the real eye opener for me, night and day difference between this truck and the 2012 I traded in for it.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:47 PM
nad

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

The cheap stock tires could be a culprit in snow. I have the upgraded Goodyear Adventure kevlar A/T's (275/65r18) and they're great in the snow up here in Canada.

You can also get side walk blocks and lay them down in the bottom of the box so you can still pile stuff on top of them.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

What tires were "stock" on your vehicle? My stock 20" Hankooks are pretty darn great tires in all weather conditions thus far here in Michigan.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

My 15 SC 2.7 with 18" Hancock Dina pro all season handled the first major snow on trip to Utah never slipped a wheel 4x2 3.31 open diff. also seems to handle AZ washboards pretty good. only weight I carry is one suit case and an ARE hard tauneu.

Quick Reply: Soooo Disappointed