Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smartlink....not so smart dealers

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smartlink....not so smart dealers

So I called FordPass for info on the ford smartlink device and they game me the name of the only dealership in my area that participates in the smartlink program. I proceeded to call that dealership and spoke to someone in both their service and parts departments and nobody has a clue what smartlink is, what it does, how to get it, etc...

Has anyone run into this?? Why is ford leaving it up to these dealerships that obviously have no knowledge of their own products??

Frustrating!!
Old 06-18-2018, 04:41 PM

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehic...d-control.html

*FordPass SmartLink™ Wi-Fi hotspot includes complimentary wireless data trial that begins upon activation. Visit FordPassSmartLink.com for vehicle compatibility. Limit one trial per subscriber. Verizon Wireless is the network provider for FordPass SmartLink™ Wi-Fi, which uses Verizon’s 4G LTE network to transmit data. Data usage applies. Coverage not available everywhere; See verizonwireless.com/bestnetwork for details. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. Other Verizon terms apply. Verizon Wireless data subscription required upon end of complimentary 30-day trial period or use of 1 GB data (whichever comes first). Subscription is subject to compatible 4G network availability.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/20/fo...able-mid-2018/

There are probably any number of things that Ford offers that the dealers don't care much about or are slow on the uptake. You could google "ford smartlink" and become an informed consumer on your own.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:02 PM

Received 257 Likes on 167 Posts

Davesp.... But, is it not sad, that Ford Customers, in general know more about their cars, then the paid experts at the dealerships do, who charge you $200 an hour to look at your Ford, yet know less then you do?
Old 06-18-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know all about what smarklink, how it works, how much it costs, etc, but ford makes you go to a dealer to have it installed and activated. My issue is how are we supposed to do that when the dealerships have no clue as to what it is and how to get it. This dealer was listed as a participating smartlink dealer so I would think someone there would know.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Wizard
Davesp.... But, is it not sad, that Ford Customers, in general know more about their cars, then the paid experts at the dealerships do, who charge you $200 an hour to look at your Ford, yet know less then you do?
You’re confusing the Ford Dealership personnel. The certified Ford mechanics make good money but not $200 an hour. The parts department, who you called, don’t. The salesmen don’t either. Nobody in that dealership makes $200 an hour.

And no, IMO they don’t need to know more than me. I am the one making a $30-60k decision, plus accessories. It’s nice to run across one that does know more but not required in my book.

JMO
Old 06-19-2018, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does it cost to install smartlink?
Old 06-19-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

jcb206 is right, however the issue is certainly not unique to Ford dealers. But for Ford it might get better as they stop selling those pesky cars, there will be less for the employees to remember.
When I was going through my shopping experience it became obvious that Ford makes it difficult for the salespeople on purpose. I visited 3 local dealers and none of these so-called "experts" could explain the option packages, trim levels, what the difference in roof top antennas is, why some have a sliding rear window, how do you get bucket seats, etc. Ford even lists wheelbase vs box length on the sticker. I had to do my own research and still needed to see the fleet salesman at a large dealer in Atlanta to get some ground truth.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:45 PM

Received 257 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Blacker
What does it cost to install smartlink?
Too much, for what it is and does!
Old 06-26-2018, 07:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same experience. My sales guy who sold me the 150 2 years ago said they probably wouldn't be carrying it. The parts guy finally told me that Ford had a buy in of 10 units and they didn't want to commit. I echo the comment above - I know more about my Ford than the damn dealer. It's so annoying that Ford has some great ideas, like Smartlink, and makes it almost impossible to get your hands on them. Dealers are about as useful as a pocketful of paper a-holes.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 647 Likes on 340 Posts

If a dealer has no clue tell them to visit www.smartlinkinstallationinstructions.com
If they can login they might get some useful info.

Last edited by jm061; 06-27-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Smartlink....not so smart dealers