Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**SMARTLINK** 2016 f150 Success

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post **SMARTLINK** 2016 f150 Success

Hi everyone, new to the forum so I apologize if I do something wrong. I've been reading these forums forever; however, finally joined. I wanted to just put my two cents out there about the new Smartlink. I've read several post about it and everyone seems to be very confused and unsure of the product and capabilities. I bought my Smartlink mid October of 18, I purchased it from Fairway Ford in Ohio. You can buy it on ebay or just call the dealer directly like I did. If you call just ask for parts dept. and they will transfer you to the guy that handles all the Smartlink stuff. I ordered the part over the phone and it came in a couple days. I then contacted my local ford dealer and discovered like many have that they had no clue what I was talking about! Then they wanted to give the speech about having to buy it from them and part and labor would be around $600! I then called another ford dealer about 10 more miles away and they were much more willing to help me. Side note. When you get the part the parts guy will send you an email with everything you need to install the part. You can have the Smartlink up and running almost completely by following the instructions he provides. The only thing you can't do and need a dealer for is the last 10 min part where you need fords IDS. You can use the APP for everything minus the Keyfob Feature until its programmed by IDS. The dealer I went to was still unfamiliar with Smartlink but after I explained to them that all they needed to do was hook IDS up and program it like a Bluetooth key fob they were more than willing to give it a go. If the continue to give you a hard time just explain how you know the process only requires them to use IDS with the OBDII port and program a new fob. If they keep giving you a hard time just threaten to call Ford directly explain to them that a dealer refuses to install a Genuine Ford part that you bought, they will give in. A few days later went to my appointment and 10 minutes later it was done and completely installed for $50.00. The Fordpass app works really well in my opinion. You can lock, unlock, sound horn, start vehicle, stop vehicle from anywhere in the world as long as you have service. It also can send emails, texts, or both for notifications. For example it can send you notifications about Alarm activation (you can adjust sensitivity), High RPM, High Speed, location of your vehicle on a map (essentially lojack). You can even set up a boundary on the map to be notified if it leaves a 50 mile radius if you lend your vehicle to someone. And for me it more peace of mind that I can know what a mechanic did on a test drive haha. Recently I actually had my check engine light come on and the app told me that it was my Bank 1 O2 sensor. Made it super easy to schedule a replacement (under the factory emissions warranty). So that's my two cents on Smartlink hope this helped some people out.
The following users liked this post:
jim80018 (11-17-2021)
Old 10-31-2018, 10:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi there

Do you have a list of all the parts you would need to add this to a truck? I have a 2015 Lariat 502a with Sync 2 if that matters at all.

Regards
Old 10-31-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

What trim level is your truck? Does it require some other package to be preinstalled?
Old 10-31-2018, 10:17 AM

Sonic366, and Gatorguy, I believe the only requirement is that you have a 2015-17 f150. It installs into the OBDII which all the trucks have. Google that Fairway Ford in Ohio and call them. Ask to talk to parts and then explain you are interested in the Smartlink, the guy that handles Smartlink knows a lot about it. He could give you the for sure yes or no if your truck can get it. As for my truck level its a 2016 Supercrew Platinum, I upgraded it to the sync 3 after I bought it way back when.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright thanks, I'll have to look around and do some more research. Sync 3 is on my list of things to upgrade but the $1,400 price tag some of these online places want is steep. I'll probably go try to scavenge a Sync 3 unit from a junkyard from either another F150, mustang, Explorer, etc. at some point though.

Thanks again
Old 10-31-2018, 10:21 AM

Also I did purchase this T Harness off Amazon so that I could hide the Smartlink up and away from me accidentally kicking it or something. Plus if a shop needs access to your OBDII it allows them to access it without disconnecting your Smartlink.

bbfly-A9 OBD II OBD2 16 Pin Splitter Extension 1x Male and 2X Female Extension Cable Adapter (2FT/60CM)
Old 10-31-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

My dealer quoted me 385.00 part/installation. They told me they're going through training on installation and to give them a bit to get up and running, so I'm going in after the 1st of the year.

**SMARTLINK** 2016 f150 Success-5fardr8.jpg

Trending Topics

Old 10-31-2018, 10:26 AM

My bad I guess I did already have Sync 3 what I meant was I upgraded to the Apple play USB port and downloaded the really big update. Yeah that's a steep price if you don't have Sync 3, definitely check some scrap yards it is a plug and play system. Good luck!
Old 10-31-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by sonic366
Alright thanks, I'll have to look around and do some more research. Sync 3 is on my list of things to upgrade but the $1,400 price tag some of these online places want is steep. I'll probably go try to scavenge a Sync 3 unit from a junkyard from either another F150, mustang, Explorer, etc. at some point though.

Thanks again
If you dig around ebay, you can get one with NAV for about 700-750.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 52isntbigenough
My dealer quoted me 385.00 part/installation. They told me they're going through training on installation and to give them a bit to get up and running, so I'm going in after the 1st of the year.

That's really good, wish my close dealer was a reasonable one....

Quick Reply: **SMARTLINK** 2016 f150 Success