Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius Radio Gripes

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 07:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sirius Radio Gripes

Has anyone figured out why Fords are being plagued with the worst signal in satellite radio history? If so - Id love to fix it... very frustrating!
Old 01-22-2019, 09:01 AM

Received 205 Likes on 131 Posts

I never have a problem with mine unless I'm between high rise buildings or next to big hills with a lot of trees on them.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:09 AM

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

i dropped mine with the ability to stream anything on your phone these days... it always sounded "tinny" and "shallow" to me, never understood why fm radio sounds 10x's better than sirius.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:19 AM

Received 128 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm not all that impressed with the sound I get from my 302A as well, sounds tinny, shallow, etc. I've played with the sound settings and it improved it some, but have found that if you turn the volume up to 8-9, it sounds better but there are those crappy OEM speakers. The speakers sound better to me at a higher volume (8-12) but dont like to listen to every song at that level. I do plan on upgrading the front speakers in the spring with warmer weather.

Wife's Lexus ES has the Siriusxm as well, and it sounds much better even with the OEM speaker setup, and wish the truck sounded that good. Don't know if it's the quality of the receiver or the speakers, or a combo of everything.
The following users liked this post:
Ohsix (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 09:23 AM

Received 497 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by butcher73
..... it always sounded "tinny" and "shallow" to me, never understood why fm radio sounds 10x's better than sirius.
Compression, Although the FM signals do not have the bandwidth they once did since they have all added HD as a carrier on their frequency, most stations still have better signal quality than Sirius. If you are streaming over your phone you will find the same. Pandora is unlistenable to me any more. If you have a CD player still try playing just a redbook CD vs. an audio stream. If you really want to hold your ears play MP3 formatted material.

Last edited by Wicked ace; 01-22-2019 at 12:32 PM.
RN2013 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by StonedFX4
Wife's Lexus ES has the Siriusxm as well, and it sounds much better even with the OEM speaker setup, and wish the truck sounded that good. Don't know if it's the quality of the receiver or the speakers, or a combo of everything.
It's mostly the speakers. The amp definitely has limitations in power but that can be dealt with to some extent. I bought front and rear replacements during the Black Friday sales and it was a worthwhile investment. Those OEM are crappy speakers. Also disconnected the center speaker in the dash for a noticeable improvement. I have a Kicker hideaway sub waiting to be installed. I think after that it will be quite nice. It won't rival my home stereo but will be enjoyable considering the amount of time I spend in the vehicle.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by L1M1T3D
Has anyone figured out why Fords are being plagued with the worst signal in satellite radio history? If so - Id love to fix it... very frustrating!
I really think it's the antenna they use. I have Sirius in my Grand Cherokee as well and I don't get half the drop outs that happen in the F150. The GK has a shark fin on the back rather than the blob on the roof.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:38 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Sirius has always sounded like it is under water, some stations worse than others, and all three trucks in the past 4 years (What?! I went through 3 in 4?) have all had the sirius drop out while driving. I don't recall it dropping out in the cars like this, but all have had the underwater sound.

Nothing sounds better than full HD streaming, but you just can't get that quality with a satellite signal unless they upgrade them. I doubt that will ever happen due to the cost of getting them up there.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:43 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by L1M1T3D
There I a TSB out on the antenna. When you are close to a cell phone tower, somehow it interferes with the antenna. I complained to the dealer and they replaced it. It fixed the issue.
JonDW29 (01-27-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 09:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked ace
I really think it's the antenna they use. I have Sirius in my Grand Cherokee as well and I don't get half the drop outs that happen in the F150. The GK has a shark fin on the back rather than the blob on the roof.
At least im not the only one

Quick Reply: Sirius Radio Gripes