Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shackle vs block?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 11:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Shackle vs block?

What are your opinions on shackles vs blocks to add 1-1.5" leveling? Specifically in regards ride quality. Will shackle stiffen or be smoother?

Assuming to make a shackle lift rear it would be shorter correct? Trying to figure out how the different geometry would affect ride etc...?
Old 01-16-2017, 12:13 AM
Fake Ballin for da Gram

Received 434 Likes on 366 Posts

It should be a shorter shackle than OEM, but the factory shackles are already short as-is. I have done both the larger block and the shackles. Maxtrac has a 1" shackle but after it settled it was closer to only 1/2"

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/maxtr...ackles-359959/

If I were you.. I would do a taller block. Its quicker to install and easier. I had to drop the spare tire to get the shackle bolts out.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:51 AM

Those are the ones i was looking at or just a 1" trailer block:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/FORD-F150-2004-2016-REAR-LIFT-KIT-4-TAPERED-FABRICATED-STEEL-BLOCKS-4WD-USA-/201630800085?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

either will accomplish the same thing, just want whichever will yield smoother ride.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:48 AM

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

You didn't ask, but if you haven't considered it perhaps you look into an add a leaf. Blocks and shackles don't do anything but add height. The add a leaf will also decrease sagging with a load. If you are considering a block then you would take apart the leafs anyways so the install wouldn't be dramatically different.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:11 AM
Fake Ballin for da Gram

Originally Posted by SlyFX4Guy
Those are the ones i was looking at or just a 1" trailer block:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/FORD-F150-2004...ATCHING_ACTIVE

either will accomplish the same thing, just want whichever will yield smoother ride.
Since you are looking at 4" blocks I'm assuming you are replacing a smaller block. You probably won't notice a difference in the ride. I would just do the taller block. You could do the add-a-leaf as kkline mentioned which would probably add a little stiffness and maybe some load capability. I do not recommend the shackles since they do not give the advertised amount of lift.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:18 AM
Fake Ballin for da Gram

Originally Posted by Kkline
You didn't ask, but if you haven't considered it perhaps you look into an add a leaf. Blocks and shackles don't do anything but add height. The add a leaf will also decrease sagging with a load. If you are considering a block then you would take apart the leafs anyways so the install wouldn't be dramatically different.
I've done add-a-leafs before and every set i've seen requires you to take apart the leaf pack and you have to clamp them back together. I think its quite a bit more hassle than just replacing the blocks and u-bolts.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:22 AM

Thx for input. I'm not doing add a leaf due to stiffness. Ordered a 4" block to replace the 3".
Old 01-16-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a small difference in geometry between them.

With blocks, you little just adding height, wheelbase stays the same and the length of the driveshaft needs to increase slightly - though it may not make a difference. Becasue you're moving it straight down, you also shouldn't have to worry about pinion angle with a single cardan driveshaft.

A shackle lift geometry is similar to having your suspension drop. Since the axis of rotation is on the front of the leaf springs, the net effect is that as you extend the shackle, the axle also move forward slightly. Since the shackle is at the back of the leaf, a 4" longer shackle will not net you 4" of lift. Probably about half that.

If you want 4" of lift, use blocks or a new spring pack. And new spring will probably require new shackles anyway to allow maximum articulation without inverting the leaf inverting itself
Old 01-16-2017, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hurricane77
There is a small difference in geometry between them.

With blocks, you little just adding height, wheelbase stays the same and the length of the driveshaft needs to increase slightly - though it may not make a difference. Becasue you're moving it straight down, you also shouldn't have to worry about pinion angle with a single cardan driveshaft.

A shackle lift geometry is similar to having your suspension drop. Since the axis of rotation is on the front of the leaf springs, the net effect is that as you extend the shackle, the axle also move forward slightly. Since the shackle is at the back of the leaf, a 4" longer shackle will not net you 4" of lift. Probably about half that.

If you want 4" of lift, use blocks or a new spring pack. And new spring will probably require new shackles anyway to allow maximum articulation without inverting the leaf inverting itself
thx for info. I was just looking for 1" addtional so was going to get 4" block to replace the 3" or 1" lift shackle and was just debating which would provide smoother ride and just wemt with the block