Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roush Phase 1 crazy gas mileage!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Roush Phase 1 crazy gas mileage!

Ok not crazy, but for 600 hp, this truck is pretty impressive. I took a trip this weekend which is about 460 miles total round-trip. Speeds range from 45 to 70 on the highway. I reset the gas mileage before we left on purpose as the first tune Roush had in the truck was giving me drive-ability issues. The new tune was installed earlier in the week and I have to say most if not all of the issues are resolved. Apparently a side-effect is better gas mileage. I have a Roush Phase 1 Supercharger kit installed. That is the only modification to the power-train. I also added 2 10" JL subs with an 800 watt amp in a custom box below the back seat. I will update later with a pic of that. Bedrug...Hard tonneau cover and that is about it for the mods so far. Almost forgot...Did the Anzos with high and low 55W LEDs. Not quite done with mods though... That 36 gallon tank makes this what..an 800 miles range? That will be nice when towing since gas mileage suffers.
Anyone have any suggestions for raising the truck up about 2 inches all around? I tow and I want to keep the raked look.

Last edited by Zxlr88; 10-24-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:19 PM
J15
Certified Cow Porker

Received 360 Likes on 246 Posts

1.5" AS level in the front with Roadmaster active suspension in the rear will boost you up, maintain an acceptable amount of rake, and keep your CV angles in a healthy range.
The following users liked this post:
Zxlr88 (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 863 Likes on 588 Posts

Dang that's a good looking truck! As far as raising the truck 2", I did a Pro Comp 2" front spacer, and replaced the 1" factory rear block with a 3" ReadyLift rear spacer. That with some 35's and I got 2" of lift, plus an extra inch from the tires!

I love whoring my truck out with tons of pics
Attached Thumbnails Roush Phase 1 crazy gas mileage!-f150-factory-5.jpg   Roush Phase 1 crazy gas mileage!-f150-factory-7.jpg   Roush Phase 1 crazy gas mileage!-f150-5.jpg   Roush Phase 1 crazy gas mileage!-f150-3.jpg   Roush Phase 1 crazy gas mileage!-f150-4.jpg  

Zxlr88 (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 1,267 Likes on 843 Posts

Seems odd to me not seeing the radiator and transmission temps along with what gear you are in displayed on instrument panel..

Now to see your actual hand calculated mileage..
Old 10-24-2016, 12:57 PM

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

question... on the highway at ~70 does the truck stay in 6th and boost when you hit small hills or resistance? Or does it kick down to accelerate (similar to stock)?
Old 10-24-2016, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer15
question... on the highway at ~70 does the truck stay in 6th and boost when you hit small hills or resistance? Or does it kick down to accelerate (similar to stock)?
It will drop a gear. It seemed like 5th gear was almost locked out before. You had to press the accelerator down 3/4 before it would shift down and when in cruise at 70 it would not shift and cause some powertrain shaking like it was under extreme load. With the new tune, it will not need to shift down unless it is a pretty steep hill and when it does, it goes to 5th.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Livoniabob
Seems odd to me not seeing the radiator and transmission temps along with what gear you are in displayed on instrument panel..

Now to see your actual hand calculated mileage..
OK, Bob. You seem like you doubt the results. Are you trying to say the pic is photo-shopped then? The truck's own meter shows 430 miles left with a half tank gone. If I was a gumshoe, I would realize that if I photo-shopped part of it - the gas mileage...I probably would not be smart enough to photo-shop the remaining miles to empty. As far as the reason you don't see the gear you are in and the temps...don't know. I could pull up the gears when in manual mode or by hitting the gear stalk selector. I didn't realize temps show up besides the dummy meter.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:14 PM

Received 1,267 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by Zxlr88
OK, Bob. You seem like you doubt the results. Are you trying to say the pic is photo-shopped then? The truck's own meter shows 430 miles left with a half tank gone. If I was a gumshoe, I would realize that if I photo-shopped part of it - the gas mileage...I probably would not be smart enough to photo-shop the remaining miles to empty. As far as the reason you don't see the gear you are in and the temps...don't know. I could pull up the gears when in manual mode or by hitting the gear stalk selector. I didn't realize temps show up besides the dummy meter.
Nope it was a hint that you should read the Forscan sticky thread and learn how to get the temps displayed. For your next mod!!

As far as the mpg like I said would be interesting to see how close the lie-o-meter is to the actual mpg with the blower.. my stock on reads 0.8 mpg better than it is.

Last edited by Livoniabob; 10-24-2016 at 01:19 PM.
kendive (10-25-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 01:21 PM

Nope it was a hint that you should read the Forscan sticky thread and learn how to get the temps displayed. For your next mod!!
I actually have read the thread.(forever long btw) I have sync 3 and a with a 16...not sure if others have been able to mod sync 3 successfully. I saw someone had been able to...but I kind of doubt the results. I bought 2 different adapters..a bluetooth and a wifi adapter for the purpose. I was able to interface the truck, but it would not take any changes. I am all ears if you know it is possible.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:26 PM

Received 863 Likes on 588 Posts

As far as the mpg like I said would be interesting to see how close the lie-o-meter is to the actual mpg with the blower.. my stock on reads 0.8 mpg better than it is.
Those damn lie-o-meters! Haha. I always hand calculate on every tank, but for fun I compare to my gauge to see what it reads. It's always high, anywhere from 0.75 - 1.5. Lately I've been averaging 16 MPG and my cluster will read 17 MPG.