Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ridge Grappler vs Duratrac.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 12:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ridge Grappler vs Duratrac.

Anyone have experience with either of these? Personally I'm looking at 285/70/17. Duratracs are a D rated in that size and Ridge Graplelrs are a C but similar weight between the two
Old 02-13-2017, 12:24 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a fantastic experience with my Duratracs - put 63k miles on them and they were great in rain, snow, ice, dirt and did okay in mud. Definitely would recommend.

Search the forums. The common complaint with the Duratracs is a soft sidewall. Personally, I never had any trouble in that area (no punctures, tears, or "squish" for me).

On Ridge Grapplers, I looked at those too as a possible replacement for the Duratrac. The aggressive sidewall makes them interesting. They look more aggressive than they actually are and make you think you'll get better road manners out of them. So, I asked a friend with a tire shop, and he told me to stay away from them (that his shop/customers had trouble with them). That was enough for me to stay away.

Here's what it comes down to for me: The Duratrac is a snowflake rated tire and the Ridge Grappler is not. If you live somewhere that gets snow, ice, slush - that should matter.

These are just my opinions. I'm sure people have had great success with Ridge Grapplers or terrible luck with Duratacs. However, for me the clear winner is Duratrac.

Edit: Here is my thread with my experience with the Duratracs: https://www.f150forum.com/f38/new-p-...255960/index8/

Good luck!

Last edited by Remi; 02-13-2017 at 12:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
freman dave (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Remi
I had fantastic experience with my Duratracs - put 63k miles on them and they were great in rain, snow, ice, dirt and did okay in mud. Definitely would recommend.

Search the forums. The common complaint with the Duratracs is a soft sidewall. Personally, I never had any trouble in that area (no punctures, tears, or "squish" for me).

On Ridge Grapplers, I looked at those too. The aggressive sidewall makes them interesting. They look more aggressive than they actually are and make you think you'll get better road manners out of them. So, I asked a friend with a tire shop, and he told me to stay away from them.

Here's what it comes down to for me: The Duratrac is a snowflake rated tire and the Ridge Grappler is not. If you live somewhere that gets snow, ice, slush - that should matter.

These are just my opinions. I'm sure people have had great success with Ridge Grapplers or terrible luck with Duratacs. However, for me the clear winner is Duratrac.

Good luck!
Thank you for the info! I live in the mountain west and usually have snow on the ground from Nov-March. I ran the KO2 with the snowflake and they were ok but not very aggressive looking.

What size duratracs did you run? Load rating? How often did you rotate? How did they affect mpg? Thanks again!
Old 02-13-2017, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Remi
I had a fantastic experience with my Duratracs - put 63k miles on them and they were great in rain, snow, ice, dirt and did okay in mud. Definitely would recommend.

On Ridge Grapplers, I looked at those too as a possible replacement for the Duratrac. The aggressive sidewall makes them interesting. They look more aggressive than they actually are and make you think you'll get better road manners out of them. So, I asked a friend with a tire shop, and he told me to stay away from them (that his shop/customers had trouble with them). That was enough for me to stay away.

Edit: Here is my thread with my experience with the Duratracs: https://www.f150forum.com/f38/new-p-...255960/index8/

Good luck!
Thank you for the addtional info/link!
Old 02-13-2017, 08:51 AM

Bunp
Old 02-13-2017, 01:17 PM

Bump
Old 02-13-2017, 01:22 PM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

I have the Ridge Grapplers size you mentioned. They're a dream. Quiet (and I mean zero noise over OEM), excellent grip on everything, a significant improvement over OEM in the snow - although not a snow tire, mind you, and they look great. They're heavy, especially when paired with a 17x9 rim, but my MPG did not decrease.
The following users liked this post:
SPOAT (02-13-2017)

Trending Topics

Old 02-13-2017, 07:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Love the Ridge Grappler

They are quiet as can be. Look great. No complaints.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:53 PM

Looking to order either the duratrac (D rated) or ridge grappler (c rated) tomorrow due yo a local tire sale... what's your guys thoughts?? They are the same price in 285/70/17
Old 02-14-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 3,522 Likes on 1,689 Posts

I'm partial to the Ridge Grapplers. I'm not a fan of any Goodyears baised on my past experiences with them. However, never owned any Duratracs.

Hopefully, Goodyear's warranty is better now than it used to be.