Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent Oil Change - '17 SCREW 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Recent Oil Change - '17 SCREW 5.0

Just ranting here...Did the first oil change and needless to say I cussed the group of engineers who thought it be a great idea to place the oil filter directly over the front cross member of the truck.

My '05 Nissan Titan had a similar location with a "ramp" that conveniently loved to splash everywhere as soon as the oil hit it. My experience with the Ford; however ended up with oil leaking from the rear and from the front of the cross member. Cleaning the residue was also a PITA with all the hiding spots the oil leaked into.

I work for an construction equipment manufacture and routinely hear about service issues or the lack of thought that gets put in when designing a product for the end user and or the ease of maintaining a unit. Maybe it is just me! Honestly wish it had a canister design similar to my wife's Grand Cherokee. No mess and easy to access!
Old 10-25-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Dozens of posts on this. Fixes:

1) Put a ziplock bag over the filter and the mount, then unscrew and all mess goes in the bag (note - I could not do this from under the truck on my creeper, probably works fine on a lift or ramps).

2) Stick a Form-A-Funnel under the filter. I will try that next time, I was hoping the bag would work.

3) Put 2 oil pans under - 1 in front and 1 in back.
The following users liked this post:
Rudyj07 (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 08:47 AM

Received 1,224 Likes on 624 Posts

Cardboard is your friend. Make a chute to direct the runoff.

Poorly placed spin on filters are a PITA. Cartridge filters are the best, no mess at all.
Rudyj07 (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 08:56 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudyj07
Just ranting here...Did the first oil change and needless to say I cussed the group of engineers who thought it be a great idea to place the oil filter directly over the front cross member of the truck.

My '05 Nissan Titan had a similar location with a "ramp" that conveniently loved to splash everywhere as soon as the oil hit it. My experience with the Ford; however ended up with oil leaking from the rear and from the front of the cross member. Cleaning the residue was also a PITA with all the hiding spots the oil leaked into.

I work for an construction equipment manufacture and routinely hear about service issues or the lack of thought that gets put in when designing a product for the end user and or the ease of maintaining a unit. Maybe it is just me! Honestly wish it had a canister design similar to my wife's Grand Cherokee. No mess and easy to access!

I couldn't agree with you more !!
Rudyj07 (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

With the front wheels of truck on metal tire ramps, you get much better access and can get up in there and see to wipe out that plastic filter drip tray and filter mounting surface.

Overall room to work is greatly improved.

Two drip pans as others have said.

Chock rear wheels so you dont die if some how vehicle tries to roll.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/pet...SABEgLNrPD_BwE
Rudyj07 (10-25-2017)