Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rancho Rear Shock Boot Filled w/ Water…

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 02:33 PM

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts
Default Rancho Rear Shock Boot Filled w/ Water…

Yesterday I noticed what looked like rust on the top mount of my rear Rancho 9000XL shock (installed when I put in the front Rancho Quick Lift’s). Upon closer look, I could see that the boot had slipped down off the top off the mount and what looked like rust was an orange like film. As I went to grab the boot to try and secure, water shot out. Darn-near the whole boot was filled w/ water!

I cut the zip tie that was securing the boot on the bottom of the shock and the rest of the water drained out. I dried everything off as best I could and then sprayed some silicone spray over everything. I’m really hoping that this didn’t cause an issue and/or shorten the life of the shock. I checked the other rear shock and that looked fine. I put a zip tie on the top of both of them so the boot hopefully won’t slip down.

After a quick google search it sounds like this isn’t the most uncommon thing. It sounds like a lot of guys don’t even use the boots for this exact reason of them filling w/ water/mud. Anyone have thoughts on using the boot?

Shock boot post water drain and after putting a zip tie on it to prevent it from slipping down again.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:41 PM

Received 877 Likes on 568 Posts

I've always removed the boots. Seems like it would hold moisture and mud.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:07 PM

Received 260 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm surprised that the boots didn't have drainage holes in them - all of my do. Or were the boots mounted upside down, with the drainage holes now up on top letting in water but with no way for it to drain? But I would never remove the boots - they are there for a reason, to protect the chrome shaft. Not many paved roads where I live, and after a couple hundred miles of high-speed travel on dirt/gravel the paint on the front-facing portion of the rear shocks is nearly gone, blasted off by the gravel.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:31 PM
T_R

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

Poke a drain hole in the boots at the bottom.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:36 PM

Received 178 Likes on 125 Posts

No experience with that particular product - but as was mentioned - check that the boots were installed with any drain holes on the bottom to allow drainage out. If there isn't one, make one.

And yes, that is exactly why many people run without the boots. And why I'm not a fan of a shock that uses that type of boot.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:40 PM

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it. I don't believe they were installed upside down as the top of the boot is fitted/formed differently so it will sit snug on on top of the shook - Obviously not snug enough as it slipped off/down.

I'm going to keep an eye on it for now. I lean towards leaving them on for protection but if I run into more issues I'll either cut a whole at the bottom for drainage or remove. I'm hoping the additional zip ties do the trick.

Other folks with similar shocks may want to double check theirs.

Quick Reply: Rancho Rear Shock Boot Filled w/ Water…