Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing decision - Higher mileage Platinum or Lower mileage XLT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Question Purchasing decision - Higher mileage Platinum or Lower mileage XLT?

Just looking for opinions about my current purchasing options. Due to multiple things going on with my vehicles and traveling for work I am looking at used 2015+ trucks with either eco engine (prefer the 2.7 a little). I have budgeted up to about 35k and will be trading in my 12 Raptor (which I love but don't drive it much).

I am set on getting an Eco, I had a 12 for a couple years and had great luck with mileage and loved the power delivery. I hated the sound and spent a lot of money on downpipes and exhaust but was never happy, I have learned my lesson and this time I will leave the exhaust stock and quiet.

I am seeing a wide swing in options of course. Originally I was only looking at XLT's with most options which would keep me happy and keep the price down. I found some with lower miles and below my max price. However I am finding lower end models for much cheaper, which is a little tempting but I don't think I would be happy long term so I am not taking those too seriously. The other things I am seeing are higher mileage Platinums decked out, every option I could ever want, within my price range as well.

The higher mileage by itself doesn't totally scare me away like it may some, but the extra risk I take driving it daily and no warranty does concern me some (or should I do a Ford ESP if I can?).

I found a really nice loaded 2015 Platinum, 94k miles, it looks new inside so I am guessing someone drove it a lot for a couple years then traded it off. It has to be highway miles and from the look of it it's been well taken care of.

So now I am torn between getting a 2016 XLT with the 2.7 I prefer, that is decked out, with 28k miles, or go with the 2015 Plat with the 3.5, that is also decked out but with 94k miles. Price is about the same on both. I guess all the fancy options of the plat are really making me want to go that route, but is it worth the risk? I realize that is a lot of miles, but they do have it priced about 10k lower than low mile platinums so I feel its a fair price.

I know the engines in these newer trucks can be good well past 200k, but I start worrying more about all of the electronics failing at some point. Not sure how high of mileage you can get a Ford ESP warranty (125k? 150k?), but I wouldn't be totally against that (drivetrain only or go for the premium one?).

Opinions? Other things to note that maybe I hadn't thought of?
Old 10-08-2017, 01:13 PM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Did you test drive the Platinum? If you do alot of driving, the comforts of the Platinum might be worth strongly considering. As far as the mileage, it is always a risk. I dot have to tell you, proper maintenance and addressing an issue immediately should lower the risks.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Did I read that right that your budget is 35k? I bought my new Lariat with the 2.7eb for 36k. I'd recommend finding a leftover 2017 XLT new.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:34 PM

Received 248 Likes on 156 Posts

I think he's right a leftover 17 maybe the perfect answer!
Old 10-08-2017, 01:38 PM

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd buy a new Ford F150 with a warranty. Up you budget just a bit and a 2017 is right there. I wouldn't gamble on a high mileage Ford with no warranty. That's truck suicide
Old 10-08-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerhat
Did I read that right that your budget is 35k? I bought my new Lariat with the 2.7eb for 36k. I'd recommend finding a leftover 2017 XLT new.
Was going to post the same thing. Do you own the raptor outright? If so, you might be able to pick up a 17 plat new for 36ish after trade in.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

split the difference maybe? here's a couple of lariat's with lower miles for around the same price.

http://www.woodhousechryslerdodgejee...d17cd982c2.htm
https://www.andersonoflincoln.com/in...stock-l19380a/
http://www.fdford.com/Certified-2015...IA/vd/40867691

Trending Topics

Old 10-08-2017, 01:55 PM

The loaded XLT's that I am interested in are 50k+ MSRP for 2017, and looks like they are around 40k+. I do see a few below 40k but none that tripped my trigger and loaded like I want it.

My "real" budget is 30k, but I was willing to stretch it closer to 35k, i guess I should have stated that. To stretch it again to 40k isnt going to happen. I did that last time and ended up with a Raptor lol. 3 years later I am selling it. I am trying to break the cycle and get something I will enjoy AND drive every day AND get really good mileage on my work commute.

Last edited by dajohu; 10-08-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:57 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

if you're having to stretch your budget to $35k, i damn sure wouldn't buy the platinum. those tech features are nice when they're new, but i wouldn't want to have to pay to fix them when they get some age on them.
The following users liked this post:
dajohu (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 02:16 PM

Thanks guys, I will spend more time looking at new ones. I can't believe I am looking at a new truck when I really don't NEED one, but you are right if I can get it for the same price why the hell not!

https://www.andersonautogroup.com/in...-stock-s16539/

This one is pretty close to what I want, except I hate white. Man, full warranty, brand new for about the same price I was looking. It is about 3k higher than the 2016 with 28k but I could live with that I suppose. I will have to research any changes to the 2.7l or the truck in general between the years.

Anyone ever get a truck of a color you didn't like and it grew on you? Maybe since I am sitting in it and can't see much of the paint maybe I wont care what it looks like from the outside lol.