Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Relay or Fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 08:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Power Steering Relay or Fuse?

Ok so today I went out to my truck (2017 F150 XLT Super Cab 2.7 4wd) and I got a warning message in my cluster for electric power steering assist fault and hill start fault. power steering is completely down. Drove the truck 180 miles yesterday with no problems. Truck is still under warranty but the nearest dealership is over 80 miles away so before I try to either drive the truck 80 miles with no steering or pay what I am guessing is going to be a couple hundred bucks to tow it 80 miles I was wondering if there were any fuses or relays I should check out. I know some people have had problems with their steering racks but I haven't heard of anyone else having the hill start assist issue as well.

Thanks for any help.
The following users liked this post:
godiswme (08-14-2022)
Old 10-03-2019, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,340 Likes on 2,945 Posts

i would have it towed if you can.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:38 AM

Received 271 Likes on 183 Posts

There is a fuse chart in your manual.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:17 AM

Received 394 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by fright88
Ok so today I went out to my truck (2017 F150 XLT Super Cab 2.7 4wd) and I got a warning message in my cluster for electric power steering assist fault and hill start fault. power steering is completely down. Drove the truck 180 miles yesterday with no problems. Truck is still under warranty but the nearest dealership is over 80 miles away so before I try to either drive the truck 80 miles with no steering or pay what I am guessing is going to be a couple hundred bucks to tow it 80 miles I was wondering if there were any fuses or relays I should check out. I know some people have had problems with their steering racks but I haven't heard of anyone else having the hill start assist issue as well.

Thanks for any help.
The fuses will be under the hood, should be two of them, one low current and one high current. I have a 2015 and I know some of the fuse boxes have changed so won't bother on which fuses they are. Owners Manual will tell which they are. No relays involved.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. I bought the truck used and it didn’t have a manual but I can check each fuse and go from there.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:46 PM

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts

Do a web search for "2017 f-150 xlt manual" Found it real quick. Fuses are on page 309.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the help and advice. Not sure how I forgot to look for the manual but I found it. I located a fuse for power steering and checked it. Turns out is was blown. Replaced it and steering works. I took a quick drive around town and everything seems to be working. Not sure how steering effects hill start but I wasn't able to find a fuse that specifies that so hoping everything is ok now. I will monitor it just in case there is a deeper issue but for now I am hoping I got it sorted.

Last edited by fright88; 10-03-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:15 PM
2018 XLT FX4

Received 647 Likes on 401 Posts

Thanks for the help and advice. Not sure how I forgot to look for the manual but I found it. I located a fuse for power steering and checked it. Turns out is was blown. Replaced it and steering works. I took a quick drive around town and everything seems to be working. Not sure how steering effects hill start but I wasn't able to find a fuse that specifies that so hoping everything is ok now. I will monitor it just in case there is a deeper issue but for now I am hoping I got it sorted.
Always love a good success story, but you may want to look into why that fuse blew. There may be underlying issues. I would take it to the dealer and have them hook up their "big fancy, expensive scan-tool" to it and look for potential issues that could impact you in the future.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:17 PM

Received 271 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott2373
Always love a good success story, but you may want to look into why that fuse blew. There may be underlying issues. I would take it to the dealer and have them hook up their "big fancy, expensive scan-tool" to it and look for potential issues that could impact you in the future.
I second this. There could be some wire chaffing or something worse. Itd be worth the trip out there in my opinion.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:20 PM

Received 394 Likes on 332 Posts

I'm guessing it was the 10amp fuse, I'm not sure what controls the hill start, but the module may get information from the steering system. The electronic systems are all linked together.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Relay or Fuse?