Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The plot thickens!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 08:23 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default The plot thickens!!!

As some on here know that have read my other post I am ordering a 19 Lariat with a Tan leather int, console and floor shift, (only way to get this combo) and want to change the bumpers out to PTM units and add a sport pkg mesh grill, reason for this thread is just in case someone needs this info they don't have to go through 10 pages to get it, so doing this opened up some other questions that I hadn't thought about, so here goes.

After placing the truck order yesterday am I called the Ford Body shop manager, (guy happens to be a good friend of mine, we both live in a very small town about 50 miles from the dealer) I asked him to order me a pair of PTM bumpers and a sport mesh grille, (not the Lariat sport grill) easy right?

He called me back on his way home, parts guy is telling him that you can no longer just order parts from Ford you have to have a VIN number to accompany said parts, of course we don't have a VIN yet and even if we did, if would just get us the same chrome pieces that the truck is coming with.

So, we talked about just using a VIN off a sport truck on his lot, here are the questions, Him and I are assuming that 18/19 bumpers are exactly the same?

Is there any difference between the PTM bumpers on say a sport XL truck vs a Lariat truck? Maybe extra holes in one or the other for a snap in plastic trim piece? Or maybe the rubber pad on the rear bumper is different between trims? He has XL/XLT sport trucks on the lot but no sport Lariat to compare.

Of course all of this got me thinking, as long as I am buying PTM bumpers, maybe the best thing would be to see if the sales guy has a Limited on order that we could borrow the VIN from, this would give us 19 PTM bumpers and would also give me the rear exhaust cutouts in the bumper, as I will be changing exhaust as I always do, I know the pitfalls of the rear bumper exhaust when hooking up a trailer, but I don't tow all that often and I have an in front of wheel side exit Dyno max system on my 2014 5.0, it sounds great, BUT, it IS loud, and running long miles it can get tiring in the cab.

So, just looking for opinions, good, bad or otherwise, and maybe someone will throw something out there I hadn't thought of???

Thx in advance,

Last edited by Kansas Transit; 10-25-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts

I think you are referring to the Lariat limited edition mesh grill.

I would order that and front bumper off a truck. Then rear bumper sides off a limited.
The following users liked this post:
Kansas Transit (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 08:43 AM

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

At the cost of stating obvious have you thought about using wrap versus painted bumpers?

i have the sport but if I had chrome I would probably just wrap and see how that solution holds up. You get the painted look with protection of 3m bra for free. Without 2019 vin very tough to know for sure what changes if any for bumper other than the limited dual exhaust upgrade.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:02 AM

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Sometimes Chrome Bumpers are Not Chrome

I ended ordering my 2018 Lariat with two tone paint. I would have gotten sport, but that option was incompatible with other things I wanted more and would've been harder to change. As pictured it had the chrome bumpers and grille. I got an XLT grill off eBay and some mesh that I'm going to combine and have painted. It turns out that with the two tone paint, the bumpers are the lower body color and not chrome, so yay!, one less thing to change.

I don't know if this is an option for you or not, but the 2019's could be the same way.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBoy4fun_wa
At the cost of stating obvious have you thought about using wrap versus painted bumpers?

i have the sport but if I had chrome I would probably just wrap and see how that solution holds up. You get the painted look with protection of 3m bra for free. Without 2019 vin very tough to know for sure what changes if any for bumper other than the limited dual exhaust upgrade.
AND this is why I asked!!! Great suggestion that I had not thought about!!!, I dont know much about wrap but I'm assuming that they could cover the sharp contours of a bumper, would save a ton of money, THX!!!
Old 10-25-2018, 11:33 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Rear exiting exhaust will be a little quieter however when hooked to a trailer the sound will bounce back at you. My experience is it gets old after several hundred miles since the truck will richen up the mixture, normal when pulling a load, and the exhaust will be louder.
Kansas Transit (11-04-2018)