Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panoramic Roof Nightmare Saga

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 02:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Panoramic Roof Nightmare Saga

This will be a long rant. I'm putting a very brief summary at the top to gloss over if you're not into reading this type of thing. Please read ahead and offer me any advice or condolences you can. Even after all this I love my truck, and I just need this issue resolved.

*Summary*

Panoramic Roof was sticking. I thought it was just tacky weather stripping. It eventually stuck closed and wouldn't open.

Dealer discovered broken plastic tracks and replaced them.

Problem is happening again.

*End Summary*

My truck is a 2015 F150 Lariat that I ordered before they were on the dealership lots. Lariat - 2.7, 4x4, Panoramic Roof, Nav, Tailgate Step. I received my truck in March of 2015. This is my second new Ford.

I only have my truck serviced at the dealership. It's not the best price/convenience, but if anything ever happened to my truck I knew I would be taken care of. There are 3 dealerships within driving distance of me. They all take 2-3 hours to do an oil change, but only one of them has a downtown to walk around in. I go to that dealership. None of them seem any better than the others.

During the summer of 2016 I noticed my sunroof was sticking when I'd open it. I don't generally open the roof. After having owned the truck for over a year I imagine I'd opened the roof maybe 15 times. It gets hot where I live (Bay Area California). I figured the roof was sticking, because the weatherstripping was getting hot and tacky.

I'd press the open button and the roof would make noise, and seem like it was trying to open, but it would be stuck. I'd press the button a few more times, maybe try the vent option instead of open a couple times, then it would eventually break seal and open. I kinda always thought to myself "I should lube that stripping," but I worried it would cause a leak at some point and I'd be S.O.L. on warranty if I could have caused it with the lube.

In December of 2016 the roof eventually stuck closed and wouldn't open. I figured I'd just wait to bring it to the dealership in a couple weeks, because I was almost up for another Oil Change. Truck had like 20k miles on it at that point.

I brought the truck to the local dealership in January 2017 for an oil change and a roof inspection. The truck is in the shop for 6 hours before I'm called. The tech took the entire roof apart and discovered the plastic track it opens on was broken. He even handed me a broken piece of the track. First I was super pissed off that the roof would use a plastic track. I understand cost savings and all, but this thing will for sure wear out or break at some point on ALL of the roofs (see attached picture).

After talking with the tech for a few minutes I find out the roof replacement will take 2-3 days of work in the shop. If I wasn't under warranty this would be a $2500 fix. They also don't provide a rental or courtesy vehicle for warranty work. I figured out transportation with my wife, and I brought the truck to the shop a couple weeks later for the roof track replacement. I get a call at the end of the third day telling me the truck is ready and I can come get it.

When I arrive at the dealership they are slammed busy as usual. They try to get me to sign for my truck and hand over the keys, but I want to look at it first (smart move).

A guy comes to take me to my truck. We walk out in the parking lot, and my truck is all they way at the end of a row. It's parked so close to another vehicle I can't even see down the side of it. I also notice the truck is really dirty...I mean like construction site dirty. The employee tells me they didn't have time to wash it, because they knew I was in a hurry to get it back. I can't get into the driver side door, so I walk around to the passenger side to climb over and drive.

When I get to the passenger side of the truck I immediately notice a large swirl of wiped off dirt on the passenger side door. I'm super upset about it, because rubbing dirt into paint is a great way to scratch it. When I look closer at the dirt swirl I notice what looks like a HORRIBLE door ding. When I look closer at the ding I can see it's not a dent, but a big gouge out of the paint straight down to the metal. I get into the truck and pull it forward, so I can look at the driver side. When I'm climbing over the console I notice oily finger prints all over my headliner. Not just a few, but it looks like someone did an oil change and then didn't change gloves before reinstalling my headliner.

I get out of the truck and slam the door just in time to see a manager across the parking lot. I ask the employee to go get some managers for me. When the guy walks away, I start inspecting the driver side of the truck. I'm beyond livid mad when I see the exact same paint gouge on the driver side of the door. I was like "HOW ARE THEY GOING TO HIT THE TRUCK WITH THE SAME THING TWICE!"

Now, I was already mad when I had to bring the truck to a shop for 3 days without a loaner car to do a warranty repair. Especially on a sunroof I wasn't sure was a good idea in the first place. There were 3-4 managers looking at me, and I was fuming inside. I stayed completely calm, relaxed a few moments, and spoke absolutely professionally with them. One of the managers, a service manager I believe, apologized to me profusely. He told me he had seen those types of markings on my doors before, and they weren't from door dings. The manager stated whatever technician worked on my truck left the doors open onto the metal support beams for the hydraulic lift. As the tech worked on the truck causing it to move around a little the metal lift beams wore holes in the door paint.

I was actually happy to see there was no argument over who's fault the paint damage was, and who was going to fix it. The manager told me he would set me up with a dealership loaner vehicle, and they would fix the paint and all the other issues whenever I had time to leave it with them for a week or so. I told the manager that whatever technician worked on my truck knew the damage was there and didn't tell anyone about it. That technician has no integrity, which is a huge deal in my line of work. If I was told about the damage over the phone before coming down I would have still been mad, but it wouldn't have been such a horrible ordeal. The manager agreed with me, and told me he would be 'speaking' with the technician about it.

I had to do a family trip I needed the truck for. I told the manager that I would take the truck for about a week, but then I could bring it back for the repairs. I also thought it would be a good idea to test out the roof for the week to make sure the repairs were correct, and also see if there was anything else damaged on the truck.

Over my one week of use I noticed there were some other damaged items: scratched sunroof paint, scratched A-Pillar interior plastics, damaged/torn sunroof cover liner, damaged headliner. When I returned home from my trip I called the manager and talked to him about the damage. He told me no problem, they'd take care of it but he'd need at least a week. I said no issue at all as long as they were getting me a car to use.

I brought the truck in early the next week. I pointed out all of the little details to the manager. He agreed with me that they were caused at the dealership, and he'd fix them right up. He gave me the keys to a basically brand new Ford CMax, I swapped my car seat over, and I drove away.

The dealership had my truck for about 10 days before I got a call from the manager. He told me the paint was done, but they were waiting on a part for the sunroof shade that they weren't able to get for another week or so. He wanted me to come get the truck and bring it back when the part was in stock. I was pretty upset. It's a hassle for me to get to the dealership during business hours, but I thought it would be nice to see the work quality.

I picked up the truck and found the paint work to be acceptable. The headliner of the truck on the other hand was basically hanging down into the cabin about 5 inches. The manager told me they ordered the wrong part for the cover, and he would also want to farm the headliner job out to an upholstery shop so it would be done right. He said he'd call me when the part came in.

When the part came in I drove the truck back and picked up a second loaner vehicle. Each time he was giving me keys to these loaner vehicles he was reading me a riot act about how I needed to take care of them and he's not supposed to be giving them out and all this stuff. This time he gave me a Ford Fusion with 2 miles on it. I was happy to have a free car, but I felt like I wanted to tell him to be careful with the $50k truck they already broke.

My truck was at the dealership for another week to get the headliner, sunshade, and other interior pieces fixed.

When I arrived at the dealership I was told the manager was in a meeting, and I wouldn't be able to speak with him for an hour. I went and looked at the truck. There were still some spots on the headliner that looked creased/dirty, but I just wanted to be done with this process. I sat in the truck for an hour and a half before almost leaving. The manager came out and finally greeted me.

I told him I was satisfied with the work, but not completely pleased about the spots on the headliner and scratches on the sunroof metal pieces. The manager told me there was no way to have it perfect. He then wanted to show me inside the shop how they went out and spent like 30k or something stupid on rubber pads for the sides of their hydraulic lifts. I danced around a little bit looking for some type of compensation for all this hassle, but I was shut down numerous times.

Continued on second post holy cow.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:02 AM

I've had my truck home for 3 months. Since it's been back I've noticed it's now leaking oil. My once clean driveway now has a mass of little drip spots. I'm hoping it's just the oil drain plug, but I haven't crawled under the truck to look yet.

Today I attempted to open the sunroof. The roof is sticking again. I'm still under warranty for a year or 14k miles, but I don't want to deal with all this again.

I'm attaching a few photos, so people and see some of the things I've dealt with.
Attached Thumbnails Panoramic Roof Nightmare Saga-plastic-roof-track.jpg  
Old 05-01-2017, 03:06 AM

more photos. had to resize them smaller
Attached Thumbnails Panoramic Roof Nightmare Saga-gouge-up-close.jpg   Panoramic Roof Nightmare Saga-pillar-scratch.jpg   Panoramic Roof Nightmare Saga-driver-side-gouge.jpg   Panoramic Roof Nightmare Saga-headliner.jpg   Panoramic Roof Nightmare Saga-passenger-side-gouge.jpg  

Old 05-01-2017, 05:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't give up man, if you're still under warranty go right back. Hell at this point if I were in your shoes I'd buy the extended warranty...it's the whole reason for having one. Of course not everyone will agree with me here, but I would refuse to stop taking it to them. Until I was completely satisfied and things work like they're supposed to.
The following 3 users liked this post by ifineed2:
2016BoostedGreyGoose (05-02-2017), Persi (05-01-2017), Vinkim70 (04-26-2023)
Old 05-01-2017, 06:03 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by Persi
I've had my truck home for 3 months. Since it's been back I've noticed it's now leaking oil. My once clean driveway now has a mass of little drip spots. I'm hoping it's just the oil drain plug, but I haven't crawled under the truck to look yet.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tsb15-0183.pdf (68.0 KB, 818 views)
The following users liked this post:
Persi (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Crap. I drop my truck off today for the same sunroof issue and an oil change. You've got me paranoid.

I would take your truck back, demand a loaner, and tell them not to call you until it's perfect.
The following users liked this post:
Persi (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 08:29 AM

I had the exact thing happen to my pano but only broken tabs on one side. With this problem they have to replace the entire trac assembly and remove seats center console and trim. I also had a wrinkled sunshade after the fix apparently it's hard to get it perfect after it's been removed. The fix was order a new shade by dealers suggestion and now I'm in good shape.

This outsourcing of sunshade is bologna tell them to order you a new shade and be done with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by DualAction:
Persi (05-01-2017), Vinkim70 (04-26-2023)
Old 05-01-2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rotordrew
Crap. I drop my truck off today for the same sunroof issue and an oil change. You've got me paranoid.

I would take your truck back, demand a loaner, and tell them not to call you until it's perfect.
That's the thing. If it's warranty work they will refuse you a loaner. I could see the dealership possibly loving you and giving you one of their pool cars to drive, but this is a 3 day job. I don't see that happening.

Hopefully your tracks don't need to be replaced. I'm just cringing at the out of warranty fix cost of over $2500.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by DualAction
I had the exact thing happen to my pano but only broken tabs on one side. With this problem they have to replace the entire trac assembly and remove seats center console and trim. I also had a wrinkled sunshade after the fix apparently it's hard to get it perfect after it's been removed. The fix was order a new shade by dealers suggestion and now I'm in good shape.

This outsourcing of sunshade is bologna tell them to order you a new shade and be done with it.
Yeah they ended up putting in a new shade. They needed to install a new one anyway since the tech tore holes in the old one running it back and forth over some exposed pieces or something.

It worked well for a month or two but the first warm day it was sticking again.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:46 PM

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Where exactly did the broken pieces come from?

Quick Reply: Panoramic Roof Nightmare Saga