Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Protection

Just got my 2016 XLT SE a few days ago, and during the paperwork the dealer was trying to sell me on a spray on paint protection that would keep the paint perfect for 5 years. All I needed to do was wash it. Seemed too good to be true. Anyone have any experience with this, or know what it is they were going to spray my truck with?

While I'm on the topic, what is the best way to protect the paint on these? How good is the factory protection? Does it need waxed right away?
Old 08-15-2016, 09:08 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Perfect in terms of what? Chip free? A lot of people think that. Or just free from waxing and such?

Neither exist. I use to apply that snake oil at dealers. Glorified baby oil. I repainted many cars because of that crap. I also use to do PPF. That's really the only thing that will protect your paint. We did spray on one's. But I prefer the "decal style" ones.

Clay and wax right away. That whole "wait 30 days"thing is for body shop paint.

Last edited by 21RRF150; 08-15-2016 at 09:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
digitaltrucker (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 09:08 AM

Received 85 Likes on 52 Posts

spray on? I'd want to know the details of the product. There are a number of coatings that do a good job in terms of protecting the paint and keeping it beading for a long duration (multi-year) - I'll be installing CQuartz in a few weeks - and there are "installer only" versions that are a bit more durable supposedly - however they are not spray on - rather wipe on and off - and you want to do a paint correction to remove any swirls / defects in the paint before applying - not something I'd really want the dealer installing for me - unless they are subbing out to a true high-end detail shop.

Then there is paint protection film - a clear "wrap" that goes on the hood, bumpers, grill, etc - to protect against rock-chips and even minimal scuffing and such - the coatings above won't do much to protect against that. Again, not a "spray"

I'd suggest passing on the dealer option and check out what a good tint shop and detail shop can offer you.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

He was trying to sell you a product called "Simonize" - it is a chemical coating that bonds with the paint. Its the real deal - but it doesn't protect it from rock chips etc.

Simonize is like a chemical glass that will cover the paint and protect it from UV sun and every day dirt etc. Good product - but I didn't buy it this time either. Today's modern paint should last longer than 5 years - when was the last time you saw a new truck with peeling paint?
Old 08-15-2016, 10:24 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Originally Posted by Brass Monkey
- when was the last time you saw a new truck with peeling paint?
My brother in laws 2012 Ram has been peeling since he bought it
Old 08-15-2016, 10:45 AM

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by mbullock
My brother in laws 2012 Ram has been peeling since he bought it
Keyword- Ram. 😂
Old 08-15-2016, 10:57 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Seen Ford's too. It happens
Old 08-15-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts

Spray on is a wax or sealant product, I prefer to immediately clay bar, wax and seal.

If you want rock/chip then a PPF Film applied like a screen protector on a smart phone is the way to go. It works great. I have the entire front of my truck with PPF film.

Done right you can barely see it but it stops the chip/rock damage. I did front of truck & headlights.
The following users liked this post:
lumpythetexan (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 05:30 PM

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mwf5888
Spray on is a wax or sealant product, I prefer to immediately clay bar, wax and seal.

If you want rock/chip then a PPF Film applied like a screen protector on a smart phone is the way to go. It works great. I have the entire front of my truck with PPF film.

Done right you can barely see it but it stops the chip/rock damage. I did front of truck & headlights.
Did the same thing on my 16 Lariart and my wife's 300s. I also did the headlights, door trims, and under the door handles to give it a little more protection. And wax about once a month or so to help protect it from the Tucson sun even though both are in the garage most of the time. Definitely worth the money I spent.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:14 PM

Received 333 Likes on 214 Posts

Be very cautious regarding the inflated price you'll pay at a dealer for aftermarket 'protection' due to the commission that the dealer receives. While I was picking up my new 2.7, I noted a local vendor applying PPF film in a bay the dealer made available to aftermarket mobile installers. I wandered over to talk to the vendor, who was reluctant to discuss pricing with dealer personnel within earshot, but gave me his business card & suggested I call for a personal quote. The dealer had quoted $1,100. When I called the vendor he quoted $900 for the same application, but with a cash payment when the job was finished, we negotiated a price of $700. So, the commission to the dealer would have been ~ 20% at least. If the PPF application had been included in the financed cost of the vehicle, the dealer's deal would have been expensive indeed.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection