Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Package questions and engine picture requests

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Package questions and engine picture requests

I have a few questions regarding what certain packages actually contain.

Snow plow prep package: what exactly does this package consist of?

Heavy duty payload: does it come with heavy duty springs in the front as well? Any other differences not listed on the build site such as frame wall, etc?

Does anybody know if snow chains will fit on the new F150s?

I also have a question directed to Ford, why can't I have a fully loaded Lariat HD payload pkg F150? I want my cake and to eat it too. Ideally, I want a Lariat, sport pkg with just about everything except a sunroof. Why can't we get that?

For the picture requests, I would like to see some clear shots of the 3.5 EB intercooler and intake plumbing and under the hood.

Is the PCV system any different on the 2015s?

I traded my 2012 in July due to multiple issues I was having. I honestly wrote Ford MoCo off due to all the issues I was having and issues my sister was having on her fusion. To be fair, I didn't really give Ford much opportunity to fix the issues as I was extremely busy the last half of the year and the local dealer is incompetent so any dealer I "trust" is about 90 miles away. Anyway, these new 2015s have my attention and I honestly miss the torque from my 2012 EB when it was new but I'm not sure I want to go down the same road if Ford hasn't really changed the intercooler, PCV system, and the oil dilution problems that plague some of the older EBs.

Last edited by Watt-maker; 01-06-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:04 PM

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm also very interested in any changes Ford might have made to the Ecoboost 3.5l. I'm sure that information will come in time but as of now I'm resigned to the need for a high quality catch can to reduce risks of oil dilution and other issues that have plagued many EB users. It's a fairly expensive addition and definitely a regular maintenance item but a direct injection boosted application with a highly questionable PCV design pretty much requires one if you're going to be keeping your vehicle past warranty.

I doubt if Ford has changed the PCV system this year as to really fix it would require some pretty major changes and I haven't heard of anything. Essentially the problem is that the PVC system only evacuates the crankcase at idle and deceleration.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:23 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

I had dual catch cans on my 2012. The can off the PCV never really had more than a half ounce in it. The other can off the valve cover breather to the turbo inlet ( this is the side that vents the crankcase under boost conditions) could easily fill in 300 miles. I even added a remote reservoir to extend drain intervals. I could get about 12-16 ounces off that side in 100-1500 miles just before I traded it in. Honestly, it was a pain but the engine ran so much better the cans. I think my case was on the extreme side and was getting worse though. I also drilled a 1/16" hole at the bottom of the IC. Depending on the climate, a little condensation would come out but would make my garage wreak of gas/oil. I could also smell it in the cab after a while. This and some other issues made me through in the towel.

I drove the truck for a while without the cans (and the IC hole plugged) just before I traded it and it was clearly running worse and basically trying to drown itself with all the crankcase vapors collecting in the IC as I had a stumble issue in fairly dry weather on some steep hills.

If I were to purchase a new boosted vehicle, I would probably add a catch can or two regardless of the PCV design just as a prevention measure.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Scary stuff there Watt-maker. And it isn't just the amount you catch that's important but rather the amount that gets by and gets ingested anyway. That's more a function of how efficient a particular catch can design is and some just aren't very good although any can is better than none.

I'm wondering what's going to happen with the 2015 installation because the optimal place to put a catch can is where it's cool and ventilated and accessible for draining. Out somewhere in front of the radiator was the best spot but now the grill doesn't open with the hood and there are active grill shutters to deal with.

Quick Reply: Package questions and engine picture requests