Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Sludge at 28K on my 3week old CPO 2015 Platinum...?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 06:03 AM

Received 64 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Oil Sludge at 28K on my 3week old CPO 2015 Platinum...?!

First off I am new to this forum and I'm not excited for this to be my first post. I am a new Ford F150 owner. It is my first truck and I am hoping this will not be a sad and frustrating experience. I picked up my Certified Preowned 2015 F150 Platinum from a dealer in NY (I am in PA). I drove multiple Platinums and this was the best one by far, clean, ran great, functioned well, minor scratches, clean underneath, clean under the hood, and clean vehicle history report. I mean Ford is certifying it right!? 27,000 miles on it. I have had the truck for 2-3 weeks and I love it! SO here is where things get interesting.

The morning after I brought it home I got in and started it up, cold morning, and it just made a loud rattling noise for 3-5 seconds. I thought "that was odd?". So I use forums all the time because they are great for information and help from people that have seen it all. I found that it the noise, most likely was caused by timing chains from TSB - 15-0131. So, I said okay, no problem. Ill get into the dealer and let them know in a week or so. Not a big deal. It didn't happen all the time and it SHOULD be covered under warranty.

REALLY INTERESTING...I ordered a AFE DRY filter to replace the nasty dirty one that the dealer in NY did not replace when they did their "172 point inspection". Still not a big deal it was $70.00. I also had read that ford was gapping their plugs too high .040 and a stock none tuned 3.5L ran better at .030. SO I said no problem, I went and got Ford plugs and new boots. I was real excited to get my truck running smooth and in optimal efficiency and too my surprise when I removed the oil cap to take off the engine cover...OIL SLUDGE...Like really thick...I though man thats crazy...WHAT THE HELL???

I went ahead and did the plugs and the filter but then pulled the dip stick and it was caked with sludge...I cleaned it off and stuck it back in and pulled it out...about an inch of sludge on the bottom of the stick and NOTHING ELSE! Now, I'm panicking....and can't sleep (5am est). I did put 3 quarts of 5w30 in it and at least got it on the stick and showing full. I am going to call one of the local dealers here today and see when I can get it in, but I'm afraid from reading some other threads my motor is trashed and the dealer is going to fight me on it as a "neglect of the previous owner". I have the Carfax on the truck showing it was serviced by a Ford dealer at 14K Looks like first owner didn't take delivery until 4K (probably a demo) and again 25K. When i picked up the truck it had 99% oil life and 0 hours on the new oil...

SO here are my questions -

Do I attempt to do an oil change or is FORD going to try and use that to void my warranty? Or are they going to try and use the neglect (I mean the guy did have it serviced) of the previous owner to void the warranty?

Do I stop driving it till it gets in to not do anymore damage? But I need to drive to work...???

Do I just say F*** it, its going to be covered and I need to drive it.

Do I start looking for a good lawyer cause Ford is just going to give me the BS run around...

I am new to Ford and new to the truck scene, but I am not new to cars or domestics...owned multiple Saturns, Chevys, VW, Chryslers, Audis, etc. But I was really worried about this when I sold my Audi SUV and I'm just hoping someone can give me some input on their thoughts and maybe a ray of hope that this isn't going to be a s***show getting this taken care of.

Thanks for any input or help with this. I just really thought I was buying a great truck and I still hope it is and that FORD will come through and take care of this and back their product and their warranty.

I've attached the pictures I took as well. Thanks again!
Attached Images     

Popular Reply

05-30-2017, 03:44 AM
CarbonRaptor34

Originally Posted by zukmeister
Skip the dealer detail. That poor black paint
i asked them to hand wash if needed. No machine wash because of the black paint.

oh oh yeah and I did forget to tell everyone...I pulled the dipstick...oil looks good lol...I'm being serious...lol
Old 04-27-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

A little early to be looking for a lawyer. Take it to the dealer and see what they say.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:47 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Please read...

I realize the document references HEV/HPEV vehicles but the same principles apply to vehicles in cold climates w/short drive cycles.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
G0000100.pdf (387.5 KB, 398 views)

Last edited by tmcolegr; 04-27-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

I'd get to the dealer as soon as you can and see what they think. Just start there, it's still covered under a warranty.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:15 AM

So I called a local dealer here and they said they couldnt do anything with the warranty because it was previous owner neglect. However I told them I had the carfax that shows maintenece and service done on it and they said "okay...I guess we can use that" not too reassuring...I also called the dealer I got it from and I am waiting for a call back.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

Considering it is an certified preowned truck and still within the bumper to bumper warranty, I don't think any dealer can turn down warranty service regardless of a previous owners maintenance habit. I also think you get an additional warranty since it's a CPO, right?
The following users liked this post:
UncleFester (05-03-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

^ Exactly right.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:02 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

I wouldn't have added any oil and had the dealer come and get it or tow it in yourself. It seems obvious they did nothing to "certify" your truck or at the very least the oil and air filter would have been changed.

I'd immediately get FORD (not just the dealer) involved.
The following 3 users liked this post by idrive:
Apples (04-30-2017), Enoch (04-28-2017), tomjv (04-28-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by idrive
I wouldn't have added any oil and had the dealer come and get it or tow it in yourself. It seems obvious they did nothing to "certify" your truck or at the very least the oil and air filter would have been changed.

I'd immediately get FORD (not just the dealer) involved.
Agreed. I don't think you did yourself any favors by covering their tracks, but also understand the need to just get stuff done so you can drive it. At least hang on to those receipts and the old air filter, if it's not too late.
The following 2 users liked this post by fsae150:
Enoch (04-28-2017), idrive (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 11:15 AM

Received 1,267 Likes on 843 Posts

My question is how did all this sludge form in the three weeks after you bought the truck.. Surely you checked the oil before buying and driving the truck home?
The following 2 users liked this post by Livoniabob:
Aj06bolt12r (04-28-2017), rsylvstr (04-30-2017)

Quick Reply: Oil Sludge at 28K on my 3week old CPO 2015 Platinum...?!