Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an oil separator a must-have?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 03:57 PM

Received 205 Likes on 131 Posts

Default Is an oil separator a must-have?

Totally forgot about this until this afternoon when I was reading something else.

On the Mustangs I know a lot of people put on the oil separators because of the PCV system- on mine, there was so much crap in the manifold shortly after I got it that it was throwing a code for low idle. Had to pull the throttle body to clean it and the back was caked with oily gunk, so I've had an oil separator on it ever since.

I'm assuming the new 5.0 is no different- what are you guys running, and which side is the one you definitely need the separator for, driver's side or passenger side?
Old 05-10-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Short answer is no. Scroll down a few pages. There is a advertisement on one. Read it
Old 05-10-2018, 04:23 PM

Received 232 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ghunt81
Totally forgot about this until this afternoon when I was reading something else.

On the Mustangs I know a lot of people put on the oil separators because of the PCV system- on mine, there was so much crap in the manifold shortly after I got it that it was throwing a code for low idle. Had to pull the throttle body to clean it and the back was caked with oily gunk, so I've had an oil separator on it ever since.

I'm assuming the new 5.0 is no different- what are you guys running, and which side is the one you definitely need the separator for, driver's side or passenger side?
You dont need an oil separator on a 5.0 they are meant for the Ecoboost because the turbo's are run off the exhaust and some oil blow by (if that is the right term) might/will get into the intake air. That is why the second gen ecoboosts are port&direct injected. To solve carbon build up around the valves
Old 05-10-2018, 04:59 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Oil separators catch the oil that gets by the vents from the valve covers (blow by). They really have nothing to do with a turbo. If you have a bad seal in a turbo car a catch can will not help, you will just coat all our charge pipes, IC, TB and IM.
I have always used them on just about every car I have had, I even need to get one for my Harley.
You don't need one but they will keep oil from inside the intake tube, throttle body and the intake manifold.
On my 2016 Mustang GT I would get a few ounces of oil in the Ford Racing catch can every other oil change.

Herb
Old 05-10-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 205 Likes on 131 Posts

Well, that's why I was asking- I get tons of oil from the PCV system in the catch can on my Mustang, so I figured the 5.0 was probably the same way.

On your Mustang do you run one on the driver's side or passenger side? Just wanted to check, on the 4.6 you want the driver's side unless you have forced induction, didn't know if the 5.0 was the same or not.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ghunt81
Well, that's why I was asking- I get tons of oil from the PCV system in the catch can on my Mustang, so I figured the 5.0 was probably the same way.

On your Mustang do you run one on the driver's side or passenger side? Just wanted to check, on the 4.6 you want the driver's side unless you have forced induction, didn't know if the 5.0 was the same or not.
On the 4.6L Mustang I had a custom one that tied into both the driver and passenger side, I had a Procharger on it. That one got some really nasty chocolate milk looling stuff.
On the 5.0L Mustang I had the Ford Racing one that goes on the passenger side. This one I got clean oil in it.

I know on the GT350 Ford Racing has kits for both the driver and passenger.

I liked the Ford Racing one and hoped it would work on the F150 but I didn't get a chance to try it out.

Herb
Old 05-10-2018, 07:10 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a catch can on my Mustang on the passenger side. From all I’ve read one is not really needed on the driver’s side. If one is useful for a Mustang, it makes sense that it would be useful for an F150. It’s basically the same engine.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:12 PM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Default Is an oil separator a must-have?

If it was a must have it would have came with one from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
UncleG (05-11-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 08:18 PM

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

^^^^^ bingo ^^^^^^

Old 05-10-2018, 08:27 PM

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by NASSTY
If it was a must have it would have came with one from the factory.
Originally Posted by Stricnine
^^^^^ bingo ^^^^^^

Just like the blown out spark plugs on tritons, terrible and unreliable focus and fiesta dry dual clutch transmissions, 6.0 nightmare. How about the new 10 speed disasters? The engineers know exactly what they are doing.

Quick Reply: Is an oil separator a must-have?