Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOT HAPPY with my New 2018 XLT 4x2 5.0!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 06:47 PM

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Default NOT HAPPY with my New 2018 XLT 4x2 5.0!

This is my fourth F-150 in fifteen years and all have been gems and ran perfectly. Now I think I have a lemon.

I purchased this truck just last month, on August 21. After a few hundred miles I noticed the truck bucking and hesitating while accelerating from a stop or just from any speed to to a faster speed. Sometime it is subtle and sometimes it's very blunt. It's really annoying! Feels like a fuel or air issue to me, It's also very sluggish and does not have near the get up and go that my 2014 5.0 had. I have taken it to the dealer three times so far and the last time, ten days ago, they kept it but could not find anything obviously wrong. No codes. They still have it. They do agree there is a problem though. They have gone back and forth, they say, with Ford engineering who gives them suggestions on settings and things to change but so far no luck. Today they told me they are trying another series of settings just receive from the Engineering people to be followed by tests and it will be next week until they know something.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

What do I do if they just can't get it right? I have a feeling this dealership will only go so far before they tell me, sorry, we tried and tough luck. Maybe the Lemon law will be an option but at present I don't know much about it. People tell me to demand they replace the truck. It's only a month old with 800 miles on it. Would a dealership to that? I can't imagine it. I can't live with paying $42,000 for a truck that runs like sh*t!

Any advice would be appreciated.

JA
Old 09-28-2018, 08:16 PM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

I agree a brand new truck that runs like schlitz would have me fuming also.

The bright side, the dealership confirms the problem which is kind of a big deal and apparently is still trying to solve it.
Give them some time and after a while if the problem isn't solved, i'd escalate to the next level.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:03 PM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

You paid 42k for a 2wd 5.0 xlt?
Old 09-28-2018, 09:28 PM

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts

I don't know how slow your truck is to get up and go, or how much of a problem you really have or not. I know that some people make up a tear from a small scratch. Not really pointing at your case, but I'm a bit (ahem, a lot!) OCD and I have to fight my first impulses really hard to be patient on an outcome. That being said, this is my experience:

My previous 2013 5.0 was a beast! The tires would let me know they were there many times, almost every day, even on dry pavement. Not that I was stomping on the pedal every time, but I do drive on a fast pace (not over speed limits), I use the advantage of the higher driving point to anticipate the traffic flow and leave behind the bunch of morons that were offered a driver's licence but don't have the ability to drive safely or defensively. They just love to clog the road.

Anyway, I do remember my '13 changing "atitude" after the engine break-in (mileage improved drastically and mechanically everything got more loose over time), This is not a myth!

My new vehicle is 10 months old now and still has 6,700 Kms. I do notice the same kind of gradual mechanical improvement I registered on the previous one, however the 2 transmissions send us a completely different feeling of acceleration. My older heavier truck would push me against the seat while accelerating and you could feel the speed and hear the engine roaring superbly. This one accelerates very smoothly, without the awesome roaring (it honestly is quieter) or pushing me against the seat, but if you look at the speedometer it does gain speed quickly - sometimes it's scary, because I'm not aware of the real speed...

I am now anxiously expecting for this engine to finalize it's break-in (I have the belief that this is a programming to help every moving parts to tune for a period of time or miles).
Transmission improved every week and within the first 3,000 kms was operating super smoothly without ever having a TSB done.

So my advice to you is, if your dealer does not find anything obviously wrong with your truck, just let it "loosen-up". You can sense if improvements are being evident or not and if not, there are other members here that for a reason or another were in your shoes and can give you better advice on lemon laws, etc.

Good luck and happy trucking!!
Old 09-28-2018, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by WildernessLVR
So my advice to you is, if your dealer does not find anything obviously wrong with your truck, just let it "loosen-up". You can sense if improvements are being evident or not and if not, there are other members here that for a reason or another were in your shoes and can give you better advice on lemon laws, etc.

Good luck and happy trucking!!
Thanks very much and I appreciate you taking the time to type up your thoughts.

Ok, maybe it will run "differently" until it's truly broken in but it should not run like crap, which it does. The bucking and hesitating is almost unbearable. What convinced me I truly had a problem was I drove another identical truck at the dealer when I dropped mine off and it was like butter, day and night awesome! Power! Spooled right up, zero hesitation and shifted smoothly. I asked the sales mgr if I could drive one for comparison and he was happy to let me. I left my truck there and told them to call me when it was running as well as that one I just drove.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by AricsFX
You paid 42k for a 2wd 5.0 xlt?
Not to derail the subject matter but yes and I got a deal. Have you seen what these things cost? Lol!!

Sticker was $50,800. 302A package. Locking 3.55 rear, twin panel moonroof, sport package, 20" wheels, 36 gal tank, tailgate step, Navigation, Max trailer tow pkg, XLT power group and a bunch more.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 416 Likes on 229 Posts

Seems like there was a TSB for early 2018 5.0's experiencing a miss with hesitation/bucking.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:28 PM

Received 416 Likes on 229 Posts

maybe this
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB 17-2262.pdf (288.7 KB, 324 views)
The following users liked this post:
John Adams (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 10:41 PM

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by John Adams
Thanks very much and I appreciate you taking the time to type up your thoughts.

Ok, maybe it will run "differently" until it's truly broken in but it should not run like crap, which it does. The bucking and hesitating is almost unbearable. What convinced me I truly had a problem was I drove another identical truck at the dealer when I dropped mine off and it was like butter, day and night awesome! Power! Spooled right up, zero hesitation and shifted smoothly. I asked the sales mgr if I could drive one for comparison and he was happy to let me. I left my truck there and told them to call me when it was running as well as that one I just drove.
Hmmm, if you noticed that much of a difference, then I'm honestly sorry for your headache. I've always had good luck with cars and motorcycles (knock on wood!) but I really feel someone else's pain as I would not want to be in those shoes. As I said OCD as I am, I'd go nuts and most likely would get rid of the vehicle trying to loose the less money possible. I would not be able to even look at the problem. On the other hand, I get attached to them and take very good care of each one. I miss a lot my '13. Loved that truck for every great family and work moment it gave me. Hope the new owner is taking good care of it!

The new one is very well put together and fun to have the gadgets helping feeling safer in this jungle here , but doesn't have yet family miles with it, so I'm just happy with it, Planning several winter trips to strengthen the bond...

If your dealer admits that something is not right I think they will do whatever necessary to fix it and keep their ego intact.
The following users liked this post:
John Adams (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Munkeebutt
maybe this
Great find, Sir! Thank you! I just forwarded it to the service advisor who is handling my truck. It certainly sounds like a big part of what I am experiencing. What are the chances my truck built in July has an engine built pre-November 2017? I know they build and stockpile a lot of components well in advance of assembly. I guess the dealer can tell by the engine data/serial numbers etc.

JA

Quick Reply: NOT HAPPY with my New 2018 XLT 4x2 5.0!