Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-Oxygenated Gas....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 12:36 AM

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts
Default Non-Oxygenated Gas....

I don't do this regularly but today I went to go fill up at BP. It was completely packed with no stalls open except for one. I drove up to it and noticed that for whatever reason, the premium was out...but non-oxy was available instead. I figured...what the hell, why not...and filled it up with non-oxy. I was actually amazed at how much better my fuel economy was. I expected a slight increase, but was getting 24 consistently going 75 MPH with a light tail wind. Typically, I can get 21-22. I was pretty impressed...

Anyway, my question is...anyone else put this in their vehicle regularly? I realize in most states, it's illegal, but I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone actually getting checked for this. For me, in the small town where I live and know the people at the gas station, I'm thinking about filling up with non-oxy more often. My truck sits for longer periods of time...so other than the gas mileage improvement, there are some advantages to using that over the "regular" stuff.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:44 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

No secret you get better mpg's with non oxy. I'd use it if I could get it. I thought the Tree Huggers had made it extinct.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:51 AM

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by idrive
No secret you get better mpg's with non oxy. I'd use it if I could get it. I thought the Tree Huggers had made it extinct.
Yeah, honestly, while soot and CO are reduced with oxygenate additives...I think it's more of a ploy to encourage reduced dependence on gasoline...and it gives a nice kick-back to the ethanol plants as a bonus. I always knew non-oxy would give me improved mileage, I was just surprised it was close to 10%.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

I was able to fill up with what a gas station called, "Pure Unleaded" once. It was 89 octane with no ethanol added. This was at a small town in Utah while making a road trip last summer. Prior tank of gas on that trip was 91 octane with 19mpg seen averaging 75-80mph highway driving. That tank of gas had a measured 24mpg. Wish I could run on that all of the time.

So here's the question, it oxygenation is supposed to reduce emissions, is there any reduction when one burns more fuel?
Old 07-03-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 178 Likes on 125 Posts

Depends on whether the price difference makes it worth it or not. Rough math says you got a 15% fuel mileage bump. If the price was 15% higher or less, then it would make sense for fuel mileage.

As it turns out, most of the time non oxy premium is priced much higher than that here...
Old 07-03-2017, 10:45 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

So...Here's my take. Ethanol blends are added to gas (thereby actually reducing the amount of gas sold, profits higher, that's another story) for "emissions" purposes. Everybody knows you get better mpg with pure gasoline fuel versus ethanol blends. So, theoretically since you're burning less of the fuel per mile, it should be better on emissions.

Ethanol, further, causes more damage than good in fuel systems, unless specially prepared for ethanol such as flex fuel compatible systems.

So I still am not understanding how e10 blends are better for anything aside from the feds helping the gas companies line pockets? Oh, and the feds subsidizing corn farmers heavily for growing corn for ethanol production...that too.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:52 AM

Received 565 Likes on 403 Posts

E10 has nothing to do with gas companies but everything to do with big ag, ADM and Cargill.
The following users liked this post:
DaveInMn (07-06-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 12:15 PM
5.0 DOHC V8

Received 1,587 Likes on 974 Posts

So here's the question, i[s] oxygenation is supposed to reduce emissions, is there any reduction when one burns more fuel?
Out here in southern California, oxygenated pump gas has been the norm for years, and for lower emissions. I get what you're suggesting about the lower mpg but I don't think the two cancel each other...

What really sucks is the current rate of +/- $3.20 for 91...
Old 07-03-2017, 12:28 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

They sell ethanol-free gas in Tulsa Oklahoma. I buy it when I'm up there. Typically, where I live (Dallas area), the fuel is E10. I did get about 5% better mileage with the ethanol-free fuel. However, I don't know if that is because of the wind, the temperature, the humidity that day, or the fuel.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 565 Likes on 403 Posts

I know when taking trips to NC in my wife's Hemi powered Magnum always see a nice bump in fuel economy due to the non ethanol fuels. Usually 4-5 mpg better.