Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A New TPMS Issue that the relearn procedure doesn't fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 08:37 PM
RBA

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A New TPMS Issue that the relearn procedure doesn't fix

Hi Folks,

I just purchased new tires and wheels for my 2017 F150. The shop installed the tires with new TPMS sensors and threw my old tires and wheels into the bed. They mentioned that the sensors had not calibrated yet, potentially because the old tires and wheels were in the bed with the old TPMS sensors throwing them off. At that time my dash had a low pressure warning light for all four wheels, showing 11 lbs, 9 lbs, 9lbs and 10 lbs.

As soon as I got home, I removed the old wheels and tires and proceeded to drive the truck around, hoping the sensors with resync. After 10 miles of driving I gave up. After coming back home I did the usual search on youtube and found the procedure for the TPMS sensors to relearn. I turned on the ignition, hit the hazard light 6 times and heard the honk. The dash showed me the instructions on how to proceed.

That's when things got interesting. The process didn't work. No matter how much air I released from the front left, the horn never honked to tell me the process was successful. I tried twice and neither time did it work. The following morning I drove the truck some more but now the instrument cluster shows "--" for each wheel. Not even the 11, 9, 9 and 10 it did the day before. I tried the relearn process again but that didn't work.

I took the truck back to the shop but they're baffled. Their first inclination was to connect to the obdII port and start looking for issues. They found none...So $320 for new sensors and none of them work. My old sensors worked perfectly. Is there a trick here that I'm not aware of? Do the sensors need to be reset or cleared before the relearn process??

thanks in advance!
Old 05-31-2019, 09:05 PM

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

$320 ??? I think You got ripped off bud. What tire shop was it?

I purchased and installed a new set of Fuel Wheels and Nitto tires at Discount Tire last week. They did want to sell me their sensors for $40 each, but I instead Purchased set of 4 OEM Ford Sensors from Ebay for $50 ahead of time while I was waiting for Wheels to arrive.

Ebay OEM Ford TPMS Set of 4

Discount Tire Installed Sensors, Mounted and Balanced tires. Threw OEM Tires and wheels back in the bed of the truck. Whipped out OBDII type tool of some sort and programmed new sensors in couple of minutes.

What I am saying is if They are a Tire shop. They should know what they are doing.

Buy set of OEM for $50. Take truck back and get refund for $320. Have them install OEM and program them.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:06 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Who supplied the sensors?

When you did the relearn where were the old tires? If they were reasonably close your truck was still sensing them which is why no honk when you let air out of the new tires.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:39 AM
RBA

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by idrive
Who supplied the sensors?

When you did the relearn where were the old tires? If they were reasonably close your truck was still sensing them which is why no honk when you let air out of the new tires.

The tire shop supplied the sensors. The old tires and wheels were about 60 feet away. I assumed that was far enough but perhaps I'm wrong??

Normally I buy my tires at discount tire but decided to try Tire Rack. I ordered the tires from them and used the shop they recommended for installation. Aside from getting ripped off, they are really nice and trying/willing to do what it takes to fix the issue but not able to, in the hour that I had to spare.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:49 AM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by RBA
Aside from getting ripped off, they are really nice and trying/willing to do what it takes to fix the issue
Then bring the whole enchilada back to them, have them install your OEM sensors on your new wheels, and give you your money back for the problematic ones they bent you over on sold you
If they told you the OEM sensors wouldn't work on your new wheels, they're full of ****.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:56 AM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

I had a similar problem when I had new wheels, tires and sensors installed. I bought 4 new OEM sensors from Ebay for $50 and had the tire shop install them when they mounted the new tires on the new rims. I then drove home 35 miles with the old wheels, tires and sensors in the bed,About 10 miles into my trip the TPMS light came on. I figured the old sensors being in the bed was messing with the new sensors learning. So after I got home I got the old wheels, tires and sensors out of the bed and drove the truck thinking that the new sensors would learn but they didn't. I tried the procedure that is in the owners manual a few times and that didn't work. Finally after a week I had a chance to stop at the dealership where I bought my truck. They went around my truck with their hand held relearn tool and that didn't work. The next day I stopped at a larger Ford dealer and they took my truck in on a Saturday with no appointment. They found one bad sensor and had the TPMS system working again in about an hour. They charged me $90 for a new TPMS. I didn't even complain because they got me in without an appointment and got rid of that annoying light on my dash so I was happy.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:55 AM

Received 617 Likes on 287 Posts

Any chance they installed the wrong sensors?
Old 06-01-2019, 10:40 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by RBA
Is there a trick here that I'm not aware of?
Yep, there was a trick involved... that's how they got you to pay $320 for a set of sensors. I would order the proper sensors, have a reputable shop install them, then take that bill to tire shop #1 and demand they pay it plus refund the $320.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:46 AM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

The last sentence in post #5 is right.

And...there's nothing wrong with the vehicle; futzing around with a DTC reader is a waste of time.

When I got new tires for my 2017 Escape, I procured 2017 FoMoCo sensors and had my shop install them, but the Escape refused to see them. (And btw, be aware that - just because the vehicle will enter 'learning mode' does not necessarily mean that it can program/pair incorrect sensors) They tried their remote programming tool as well, and yeah - the tool saw the sensors - but they still wouldn't pair with the car. It turned out that the CORRECT sensors needed to be from a MY2014 Escape! Lesson learned.

I'm with Mister post #7.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 497 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by nassty
i had a similar problem when i had new wheels, tires and sensors installed. I bought 4 new oem sensors from ebay for $50 and had the tire shop install them when they mounted the new tires on the new rims. I then drove home 35 miles with the old wheels, tires and sensors in the bed,about 10 miles into my trip the tpms light came on. I figured the old sensors being in the bed was messing with the new sensors learning. So after i got home i got the old wheels, tires and sensors out of the bed and drove the truck thinking that the new sensors would learn but they didn't. I tried the procedure that is in the owners manual a few times and that didn't work. Finally after a week i had a chance to stop at the dealership where i bought my truck. They went around my truck with their hand held relearn tool and that didn't work. The next day i stopped at a larger ford dealer and they took my truck in on a saturday with no appointment. They found one bad sensor and had the tpms system working again in about an hour. They charged me $90 for a new tpms. I didn't even complain because they got me in without an appointment and got rid of that annoying light on my dash so i was happy.
this!!!!!

Quick Reply: A New TPMS Issue that the relearn procedure doesn't fix