Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need tutorial on how the 4x4 system works...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 373 Likes on 248 Posts

Default Need tutorial on how the 4x4 system works...

I don't plan to do any work on it, I'd just like to have a good idea of how the 4x4 system in our trucks works. For example, which parts are spinning at all times? Which parts only spin when in 4x4 mode, and how does actuation of the 4wd work, exactly?
Old 04-23-2018, 05:41 PM

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts

If you have an open rear diff, you have 2 wd. 3 wheel drive if you can lock the rear.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by UncleG
If you have an open rear diff, you have 2 wd. 3 wheel drive if you can lock the rear.
I was really thinking more in terms of which shafts are turning when in 2WD vs. 4WD Hi or 4WD Lo.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:23 PM

Received 268 Likes on 209 Posts

For an XL/XLT, when you turn the **** to 4 high an actuator in the transfer case moves to engage the front output and spin the front driveshaft. At the same time a vacuum solenoid under the hood engages both front hubs (integrated wheel ends in Ford speek). Power is split evenly front and rear with no differential action, so use only on loose surfaces. When you select 4 low a shift fork moves a set of gears in the transfer case to enable more gear reduction. You have to be going slow and in neutral to let it engage smoothly.

On lariat or higher trucks they use a set of clutches on the front output of the transfer case to send power to the front diff. In 4 auto the computer uses sensors to decide when to engage and when to disengage, allowing use on pavement without binding or other wear. In 4 high lock the clutches engage and stay engaged, for all intents and purposes acting the same as the lower level trucks. Same with 4 low. These trucks have the same vacuum actuated IWE setup as the XL/XLT.

All can be combined with an electronic locking rear diff that will send power equally to both rear wheels at lower speeds, automatically disengaging at higher speeds.

The rear transfer case output is always physically connected unless you select the neutral position on the tc, and this is only used for towing behind an RV.

Last edited by stowaway; 04-23-2018 at 09:26 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by stowaway:
bambbrose (04-24-2018), DaveInMn (04-28-2018), feesh007 (04-24-2018), Firerunner (04-24-2018), mbrick (04-24-2018), rsylvstr (04-24-2018), UncleG (04-24-2018), Whysoangry (04-23-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-23-2018, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by stowaway
For an XL/XLT, when you turn the **** to 4 high an actuator in the transfer case moves to engage the front output and spin the front driveshaft. At the same time a vacuum solenoid under the hood engages both front hubs (integrated wheel ends in Ford speek). Power is split evenly front and rear with no differential action, so use only on loose surfaces. When you select 4 low a shift fork moves a set of gears in the transfer case to enable more gear reduction. You have to be going slow and in neutral to let it engage smoothly.

On lariat or higher trucks they use a set of clutches on the front output of the transfer case to send power to the front diff. In 4 auto the computer uses sensors to decide when to engage and when to disengage, allowing use on pavement without binding or other wear. In 4 high lock the clutches engage and stay engaged, for all intents and purposes acting the same as the lower level trucks. Same with 4 low. These trucks have the same vacuum actuated IWE setup as the XL/XLT.

All can be combined with an electronic locking rear diff that will send power equally to both rear wheels at lower speeds, automatically disengaging at higher speeds.
So, when I'm in 2WD (XL truck), the front forward drift shaft and the front half-shafts are NOT spinning at all? I'm just ascertaining what are the parasitic losses of the 4x4 system when highway driving.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 268 Likes on 209 Posts

Correct. Unlike other systems that have the front axle always spinning and use a disconnect elsewhere, this minimizes power loss and improves fuel economy.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:37 PM
Turbo --> :-)

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroTX
So, when I'm in 2WD (XL truck), the front forward drift shaft and the front half-shafts are NOT spinning at all? I'm just ascertaining what are the parasitic losses of the 4x4 system when highway driving.

Weight and friction inside the transfer case.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:46 AM

Received 300 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleG
This is such a terrible response, I hope no one takes it to heart.

Zero TX posted a great summary.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:33 AM

Received 629 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by A/Ox4
This is such a terrible response, I hope no one takes it to heart.

Zero TX posted a great summary.
His response is technically correct, but not he explanation OP was looking for. Open diffs and 4wd are just not great at all.

As stowaway said: The short answer was already covered, but fortunately by design when in 2WD, the front driveshaft and half shafts are not spinning. The front hubs disconnect, and the transfer case disconnects.

I too am surprised the spinning mass in the transfer case is good for a 1-2mpg loss.

Last edited by mbrick; 04-24-2018 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:35 AM

Received 300 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mbrick
His response is technically correct, but not he explanation OP was looking for. Open diffs and 4wd are just not great at all.

The short answer was already covered, but fortunately by design when in 2WD, the front driveshaft and half shafts are not spinning. The front hubs disconnect, and the transfer case disconnects.

I too am surprised the spinning mass in the transfer case is good for a 1-2mpg loss.
I didn't say it was a bad answer, I said it was a bad response. It conveys all of the wrong information.

Yes, you may not always get power to all 4 wheels, but that's not the end of it.

Quick Reply: Need tutorial on how the 4x4 system works...