Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 07:35 PM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Default need some tire advice

so my 2015 3.5EB w/ 3.55 gears is due in next month. im going to see if i can work something out with the dealer to give me some credit on the oem tires and get me some aftermarket tires. im going to do a 2.5 level kit and a +1" block in the back. so i will want to get slightly taller tires. now here is the twist mpg is a concern and i know whats coming, if i care about mpg go buy a prius not a pick up but i need a truck for what i do and want to keep good/decent mpg. the stock tires are only 41lbs. i want to stay the same width to keep the rolling resistance down. a tune is in the future so i know that will help get back what i lose but that may not be right away. so i am looking at these 4 tires as they seem to review awesome, look great, and have low weight in their category

275/60/20-Goodyear Duratracs @ 46lbs
275/60/20- BFG KO2's @ 55lbs
275/65/20-Goodyear Duratracs @ 57lbs
275/65/20-BFG KO2's @ 57lbs

does anyone have experience with these tires and/or weight tires and their effect on mpg? i rather run the 275/65's for the height but if it will hurt mpg that much ill step down to the 46lb duratracs that are an inch taller than stock i guess. also any input on how these tires performed and held up for u is welcome. in the mean time ill be searching on how these tires reviewed.

TIA
Old 03-07-2015, 09:01 PM

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by NickPic83
so my 2015 3.5EB w/ 3.55 gears is due in next month. im going to see if i can work something out with the dealer to give me some credit on the oem tires and get me some aftermarket tires. im going to do a 2.5 level kit and a +1" block in the back. so i will want to get slightly taller tires. now here is the twist mpg is a concern and i know whats coming, if i care about mpg go buy a prius not a pick up but i need a truck for what i do and want to keep good/decent mpg. the stock tires are only 41lbs. i want to stay the same width to keep the rolling resistance down. a tune is in the future so i know that will help get back what i lose but that may not be right away. so i am looking at these 4 tires as they seem to review awesome, look great, and have low weight in their category

275/60/20-Goodyear Duratracs @ 46lbs
275/60/20- BFG KO2's @ 55lbs
275/65/20-Goodyear Duratracs @ 57lbs
275/65/20-BFG KO2's @ 57lbs

does anyone have experience with these tires and/or weight tires and their effect on mpg? i rather run the 275/65's for the height but if it will hurt mpg that much ill step down to the 46lb duratracs that are an inch taller than stock i guess. also any input on how these tires performed and held up for u is welcome. in the mean time ill be searching on how these tires reviewed.

TIA
I've seen a few guys sell their original rims & tires on here or craigslist. Probably will get more for your money compared to what a dealer will offer you . Just thought I would throw that out there
Old 03-07-2015, 11:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I currently have a 2013 xlt screw 4x4 ecoboost with 3.31's and I have a set of 275/60r20 BFG KO2's and I love them. I've put almost 10,000 miles on them so far and they still look new. Didn't really see much of a mpg drop so far maybe .5 mpg if any so not really much to be concerned with. My suspension is stock as well. I definitely will be putting a set of these on my next truck which I plan to purchase in the fall. We just got anywhere from 10"-20" inches of snow this past week in my area and these tires are amazing in the snow. I've never felt as confident driving in the snow as I do with these tires. I can't speak for the duratracs but highly recommend the BFG's.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:36 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm no expert but I'm thinking that the difference between the tires you mentioned, not the difference between one of those you mentioned and the stock tires, but the difference between them as far as fuel consumption is concerned is going to be minimal. I would look more at which gives you the look and/or performance you want.

With that said I too can vouch for the BFG's in performance. I got more miles out of those tires than any other before or since. I never got a flat with them even in the back country on some pretty bad roads. The traction in the snow and ice was not too far behind the top rated dedicated snow tire the Blizzak.

I think when you factor in the quality and lifetime of a good tire it can offset any negative impacts to your mpg.

Just my .02.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:27 AM

Received 368 Likes on 157 Posts

I have a set of duratracs on my Explorer I will be trading, and they have been a really good set of all seasons that look pretty good. With that said, they did seem to hurt mpg by about 10% (give or take).
Old 03-08-2015, 06:12 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I want Dick Cepek Fun country LT275/65R20 (34X10.50R20) tires at 59 pounds each.....

You can also have your tired sipped, when they are sipped it increases the traction dramatically....and even can extend the life of your tire...

Quick Reply: need some tire advice