Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moon roof issues need your input

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 04:42 PM
teen +50+ more years

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Moon roof issues need your input

I have got issues with my sunroof too. It did the popping, cracking noise, and now the sunroof will vent but will not retract. Sometimes the locking position will not align properly and it is a hit & miss that scares me thinking of rainy days. So I leave it shut, don't like sunroofs anyway. The truck came with it.

It then developed a noise when bouncing around on bumpy roads (very annoying).
With a lot of effort and frustration, I was able to tighten the rear glass brackets. Noise is gone.
BUT the moon shade would only close halfway leaving the front sunroof open so my head would fry.
Was able to play with it and it finally locked in position properly so the shade would close & open if I want. Broken pieces are likely in there.

A lot of reading later: & the short version of my questions:

1) Can I disable the moonroof motor for the front glass & venting only and still maintain the shade screen open/close function?

2) Has anyone tried a vinyl wrap (with window tinting so I don't cook) on the roof to keep the rain out.

That way I would have a view, not near as much heat with a shade screen option when I want it.

I have no use for a sunroof to be open. EVER.

Thoughts?
Old 09-05-2021, 12:21 AM

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Thisisme2
I have got issues with my sunroof too. It did the popping, cracking noise, and now the sunroof will vent but will not retract. Sometimes the locking position will not align properly and it is a hit & miss that scares me thinking of rainy days. So I leave it shut, don't like sunroofs anyway. The truck came with it.

It then developed a noise when bouncing around on bumpy roads (very annoying).
With a lot of effort and frustration, I was able to tighten the rear glass brackets. Noise is gone.
BUT the moon shade would only close halfway leaving the front sunroof open so my head would fry.
Was able to play with it and it finally locked in position properly so the shade would close & open if I want. Broken pieces are likely in there.

A lot of reading later: & the short version of my questions:

1) Can I disable the moonroof motor for the front glass & venting only and still maintain the shade screen open/close function?

2) Has anyone tried a vinyl wrap (with window tinting so I don't cook) on the roof to keep the rain out.

That way I would have a view, not near as much heat with a shade screen option when I want it.

I have no use for a sunroof to be open. EVER.

Thoughts?
What I did was unplug the fuse for the moonroof and then ran a bead of sealant around the outside of the glass and called it a day.

If you pull the fuse or pull the connector going to the switches, both the moonroof switches and sunshade switches will not work. If you want the moonroof switch to be disabled but the sunshade switch to still function, you have to cut 3 wires at the connector. (See below)

Originally Posted by CJW91
I did this by cutting three wires in the harness that connects to the overhead console. It's not easily reversible as there is not much extra slack in the wires so will be difficult to solder them back to together if needed.

The wires are violet/brown, white/blue, and yellow/orange.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:43 AM
teen +50+ more years

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

I did a post in two areas and got two friendly suggestions. Great site!

I thought I read that that fuse controls other things too? I will go back and read it again.

Thank you for sharing that diagram if I ever have another issue, I will snip 3 wires, take a before / after pic, and put it in with the manual.

Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Thisisme2
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

I did a post in two areas and got two friendly suggestions. Great site!

I thought I read that that fuse controls other things too? I will go back and read it again.

Thank you for sharing that diagram if I ever have another issue, I will snip 3 wires, take a before / after pic, and put it in with the manual.

Thanks again.
there's one fuse that will disable the power windows and moonroof and there is another that only disables the moonroof. You'll have to check the manual as I don't remember off the top of my head.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:58 AM
dmd

Received 301 Likes on 213 Posts

There are also threads on how to get the parts and fix it. Then just lube the seals and leave it shut and you won’t have any leakage problems or other things from broken parts.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

As someone who literally just finished fixing this, if you like the moon roof at all, I would suggest buying the parts from the sunroof doctor. I spend about $165 on the parts and 45 minutes of my time to complete the repair and it was quite simple, it was pretty intimidating at first, but once I got the glass off it was a very simple fix.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First ever post here, but really tired of the sunroof leak. Had water dripping from my sunglass holder today in my 2015 King Ranch. Has anyone every replaced the entire sunroof with one giant piece of glass that does not open? Is that even possible? Just have a huge windshield in the roof with the working sliding sunshade. Thoughts?
Old 10-05-2021, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by mvnole
First ever post here, but really tired of the sunroof leak. Had water dripping from my sunglass holder today in my 2015 King Ranch. Has anyone every replaced the entire sunroof with one giant piece of glass that does not open? Is that even possible? Just have a huge windshield in the roof with the working sliding sunshade. Thoughts?
Just seal around the moonroof glass so it doesn't leak and unplug the moonroof fuse so you don't accidentally open it. Or cut the two wires in the above post I linked so the sunshade still works, but not moonroof.
Old 10-06-2021, 03:44 AM

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

As far as the noise you were hearing while driving on bumpy roads, there is a TSB to fix this issue. It basically calls for cleaning and lubing the seals with some pricey lubricant. Google Ford TSB 16-0020. I just performed this procedure and the noise stopped.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:36 PM

Received 368 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Lux194
As far as the noise you were hearing while driving on bumpy roads, there is a TSB to fix this issue. It basically calls for cleaning and lubing the seals with some pricey lubricant. Google Ford TSB 16-0020. I just performed this procedure and the noise stopped.

Silicone paste does the same thing. No need to buy fords crap.

Quick Reply: Moon roof issues need your input