Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

this may be a stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 12:12 AM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default this may be a stupid question

i know that the stock late model f150's are not level- as there are tons of various leveling kits and that there plenty of folks who have installed them- my question is if the truck comes off the assembly line with a lower front end stance from the rear does the oil dip stick compensate for this? and if it does and you subsequently even the front/rear heights would this change the indicated level on the dip stick? again, this might be a stupid question and the answer may be that the shift in the oil pan would be so insignificant as to be negligible as to the level shown on the stick. but i have always taken pains to make sure that any vehicle i was checking was level to start with, to the point of using a spirit level to make sure i was plumb before taking a reading.
just a curiosity on my part.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:57 AM
2018 XLT FX4

Received 641 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by misternatural
i know that the stock late model f150's are not level- as there are tons of various leveling kits and that there plenty of folks who have installed them- my question is if the truck comes off the assembly line with a lower front end stance from the rear does the oil dip stick compensate for this? and if it does and you subsequently even the front/rear heights would this change the indicated level on the dip stick? again, this might be a stupid question and the answer may be that the shift in the oil pan would be so insignificant as to be negligible as to the level shown on the stick. but i have always taken pains to make sure that any vehicle i was checking was level to start with, to the point of using a spirit level to make sure i was plumb before taking a reading.
just a curiosity on my part.
The only dumb question is the one not asked! The factory rake exists primarily for "enhanced aerodynamics". I seriously doubt that you'd throw off the oil level reading to the point that it would actually make a difference. Certainly not to the point that you would need be concerned about over-filling. Use the factory recommended number of quarts, wash your hands and enjoy your truck!
The following users liked this post:
misternatural (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 03:17 AM
Flaccid Member

Received 569 Likes on 358 Posts

I did the trig awhile ago to figure out how many degrees I "turned" the truck with a 2" level and my SCrew wheelbase. Because that's REALLY what you're talking about when it comes to impact on fluid levels: what angle are you imposing on the reading. Actually, it's so easy, I'll do it again here:

tan-1 ( 2 / 145 ) = 2.15 degrees

FWIW, that change didn't register on my "off-road display," either.
gatorblue92 (08-20-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 03:20 AM

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts

No change on DIP
Old 08-19-2018, 03:51 AM

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

The amount of oil inside the truck doesn't change and neither would the dipstick reading.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:58 AM

Received 1,329 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott2373
The factory rake exists primarily for "enhanced aerodynamics".
Would love to see data to substantiate that claim. I always thought the rake was to account for carrying max payload.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:03 AM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta
Would love to see data to substantiate that claim. I always thought the rake was to account for carrying max payload.
to me it looks like it's ready to "spring" on an unsuspecting "bowtie"
Old 08-19-2018, 09:10 AM

Received 701 Likes on 504 Posts

While raising the front might be detrimental to aerodynamics, I don't know how much lowering the rear would hurt. Certainly I don't see any reason the "Wedge" couldn't be built into the body with the same ride height front and rear.

I think the primary reasons for the rake are a combination of ride, payload and step in height. Most of the reasons could be eliminated with a switch to air ride but it would increase complexity, weight and cost.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

While only circumstantial, there is a post on here with guys leveling their trucks by removing the rear block on 4x4’s....they have reported no noticeable change in mpg.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:43 PM

Received 422 Likes on 302 Posts

As long as I can remember trucks have had that rake and I would guess its so they don't sag when load. My Silverado had less rake than my f150 but not by much. That being said the f150 definitely handled 1500lbs in the bed better than the Chevy. Chevy sagged badly while the f150 still had a slight rake. The sagging Chevy wasn't fun to drive.
As for your question. Dipstick is positioned near the middle of the block on the drivers side. Changing the angle front to back will have very little if any effect on oil level reading. But the truck leaning might due to the dipstick being offset to drivers side.

Either way not worth worrying over.

Last edited by KWS 2.7; 08-19-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply: this may be a stupid question