Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow 12279 vs 12579

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Magnaflow 12279 vs 12579

Hello all, I've done some research here and there are threads where these two mufflers are compared to other brands, but I'm wondering if anyone can share what the practical differences are between these two specifically (5x8x24 vs 5x11x22), from a volume, drone, tone, etc.. standpoint. I'm looking at doing a muffler swap, and I'm looking for something barely louder than stock, with zero drone whatsoever.

Any info into how these two mufflers compare is greatly appreciated.

I also gather that the Borla 400500 / 400436 HD truck muffler is comparable, but it may come with a higher chance of drone?

ETA: The main reason for me asking is I've seen people who have either of these post on here, and both cases went either way - some say they experienced drone while others say no done at all. Just trying to get a realistic idea of the best option for me.

Last edited by TheBoo; 04-26-2024 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:14 AM
No fart cans allowed

Received 1,463 Likes on 969 Posts

Drone is dependent on each person's tolerance/viewpoint. My Corvette had a Billy Boat PRT exhaust on it when I bought it that was not supposed to drone. My best description of drone is a vibrating/buzzing at certain engine load/rpms that will give you a headache after a short while. ​​​​Unfortunately the BB PRT had that "tone" at Interstate highway speeds; it sounded great around town.

I dumped it for an OEM NPP system that has vacuum controlled valves; with an aftermarket controller I control whether the exhaust is loud or stock silent. This exhaust is louder than the BB PRT when open and has more drone at certain points in town but I can make it disappear by pushing a button.

All of that explanation to say your perception of drone is what matters, so your choice is to try one of the mufflers out. Or try to find someone with the same engine and the mufflers you are considering and go for a ride; probably not too likely. In my experience, chambered mufflers like Flowmaster typically tend to have less drone than straight through mufflers like Magnaflow or Borla.

Last edited by BadAV; 04-27-2024 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:57 AM

Received 549 Likes on 328 Posts

Those 2 part numbers for Magnaflow are functionally the same. They're made for the same sound level with moderately different dimensions for packaging under the vehicle

Keeping the resonator is the best way to minimize drone
Old 04-30-2024, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that, but they are physically different, so I'm wondering what the real world experiences are with each. Nuances seem to matter with these things.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by BadAV
Drone is dependent on each person's tolerance/viewpoint. My Corvette had a Billy Boat PRT exhaust on it when I bought it that was not supposed to drone. My best description of drone is a vibrating/buzzing at certain engine load/rpms that will give you a headache after a short while. ​​​​Unfortunately the BB PRT had that "tone" at Interstate highway speeds; it sounded great around town.

I dumped it for an OEM NPP system that has vacuum controlled valves; with an aftermarket controller I control whether the exhaust is loud or stock silent. This exhaust is louder than the BB PRT when open and has more drone at certain points in town but I can make it disappear by pushing a button.

All of that explanation to say your perception of drone is what matters, so your choice is to try one of the mufflers out. Or try to find someone with the same engine and the mufflers you are considering and go for a ride; probably not too likely. In my experience, chambered mufflers like Flowmaster typically tend to have less drone than straight through mufflers like Magnaflow or Borla.
Thanks for that explanation, however I don't necessarily agree that drone is subjective. Tolerance of it may be, but drone or resonance is something that either exists or doesn't exist in your system. I used to have a magnaflow muffler in my old chevy s10 back in the early 2000's. That was so long ago I don't remember which one it was, but there was zero resonance at any rpm. Also had a buddy with a shorter magnaflow and it would resonate your fillings out of your teeth cruising at 1600 RPM. I'm looking for zero resonance, or at most the same amount of resonance as my stock exhaust..
Old 04-30-2024, 10:26 AM

Received 549 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBoo
Thanks for the feedback. I understand that, but they are physically different, so I'm wondering what the real world experiences are with each. Nuances seem to matter with these things.
Marginally physically different with near identical internal volumes. While I haven’t had both those 2 PNs specifically back to back, I’ve had enough of greater physical difference to tell you they’re the same real world

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 12279 vs 12579