Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud clack upon heavy acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 07:31 PM
Solve et Coagula

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud clack upon heavy acceleration?

Hello. I've been having a strange problem. If I am going along at a normal throttle then accelerate aggresively, I hear this very loud metal clack sound coming from the engine area. It's a one time noise when I slam on the gas, it doesn't continue throughout the acceleration. It also seems to hesitate a bit when I am accelerating. I see the rpms climb but for short bursts it almost feels like the torque isn't making it to the wheels. Instead of a smooth climb in speed and power it has little gaps as its climbing like its slipping or misfiring. There are no codes on the truck.
would that loud clack sound be a bad Wastegate or something? Please help me out if you have any ideas. 17 3.5 EcoBoost.
thanks.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:31 PM
Solve et Coagula

100 views, nothing? Has anyone had a similar problem, or advice what the culprit might be?
Old 08-22-2018, 03:14 PM

Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

I don't believe it's a waste gate. I had a bad waste gate replaced under warranty and it made zero noises and I didn't notice any big power loss. The only reason I knew something was wrong was because it threw an orange wrench icon on the gauge cluster. Does it matter what speed you're going when it does it or do you only notice it at certain speeds or even certain gears?

At the same time, your F150 is a MY2017, so it should still be under warranty. I'd just take it to the dealer and let them chase the noise down.

Last edited by BShadows; 08-22-2018 at 03:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sanguine (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 04:10 PM
Solve et Coagula

Originally Posted by BShadows
I don't believe it's a waste gate. I had a bad waste gate replaced under warranty and it made zero noises and I didn't notice any big power loss. The only reason I knew something was wrong was because it threw an orange wrench icon on the gauge cluster. Does it matter what speed you're going when it does it or do you only notice it at certain speeds or even certain gears?

At the same time, your F150 is a MY2017, so it should still be under warranty. I'd just take it to the dealer and let them chase the noise down.
So is it fair to say that unless I get the wrench icon, it's not the wastegate? It will throw a code?

As far as the gears/speeds, I will have to play around with it more. I've noticed it going lower speeds like rolling 30 then mash on the gas to get up to 60-70, or even when I am going about 50-60 and punch it to get up to 100, it makes that really loud metal CLACK before she really starts to boogie.
The slipping feeling where it's not a constant climb in power thru the RPM is any speed any gear as far as I know. You get bursts of lots of power but little breaks in between where it's not transferring.

I could bring it in for warranty, not really enthused about it. Especially because Ford likes to gived the canned responses "within spec, normal characteristic etc" It's worth an appointment, but I have a feeling the tech will just joyride it around and won't find the noise. I've had this damn thing in 8 times in the year I've owned it. Started a case with Ford, they should extend my warranty or give me a new one. Nothing but problems since the start.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:11 PM

Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

I'd say go for a ride with the tech, you drive and let him sit shotgun this way he can hear exactly whats going on. Like I said, from you description I don't believe it's a waste gate issue. Check Engine Light should come on with a wastegate problem.

The reason it would throw a CEL: "Since the wastegate hose is designed to relieve pressure inside the turbocharger manifold, it is constantly monitored by the vehicle's ECU (engine control unit)".
Sanguine (08-24-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 03:50 PM

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanguine
So is it fair to say that unless I get the wrench icon, it's not the wastegate? It will throw a code?

As far as the gears/speeds, I will have to play around with it more. I've noticed it going lower speeds like rolling 30 then mash on the gas to get up to 60-70, or even when I am going about 50-60 and punch it to get up to 100, it makes that really loud metal CLACK before she really starts to boogie.
The slipping feeling where it's not a constant climb in power thru the RPM is any speed any gear as far as I know. You get bursts of lots of power but little breaks in between where it's not transferring.

I could bring it in for warranty, not really enthused about it. Especially because Ford likes to gived the canned responses "within spec, normal characteristic etc" It's worth an appointment, but I have a feeling the tech will just joyride it around and won't find the noise. I've had this damn thing in 8 times in the year I've owned it. Started a case with Ford, they should extend my warranty or give me a new one. Nothing but problems since the start.
Subscribing. My transmission does this and originally I thought it was due to the torque converter clutch not releasing properly. If you get a squawk sound at all going 40-50 in 5th with light pedal while downshifting quickly to third...it's your overdrive clutch plate. Mine also feels at times like it's not putting power down consistently. I've narrowed it down to either the overdrive clutch plate, the torque converter (and/or low fluid/bad pump), or the throttle body. The snap you might be hearing before it takes off could be a solenoid in the transmission or your throttle body.
Sanguine (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 10:23 AM
Solve et Coagula

Originally Posted by gopherman
Subscribing. My transmission does this and originally I thought it was due to the torque converter clutch not releasing properly. If you get a squawk sound at all going 40-50 in 5th with light pedal while downshifting quickly to third...it's your overdrive clutch plate. Mine also feels at times like it's not putting power down consistently. I've narrowed it down to either the overdrive clutch plate, the torque converter (and/or low fluid/bad pump), or the throttle body. The snap you might be hearing before it takes off could be a solenoid in the transmission or your throttle body.
Thank you for this! I will keep this in my back pocket when I go for a ride with the tech. It's very weird how the power isn't consistent, like either a transmission issue or torque converter like you said. A buddy got the exact same truck brand new and his was so bad it has been sitting in the shop for over a month. They've swapped pretty much everything from the rear axle to the transmission. It was so bad on the highway, if you gunned it, it would shudder and lurch you as it tries to get boogying,

I will setup an appointment. I'd like to get this done before warranty expires, and ensure it doesn't come back before warranty expires.. :/ Thanks for the tip..
Old 08-24-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 178 Likes on 125 Posts

Sounds a lot like LSPI - Low Speed Pre Ignition. I've noted in in similar situations 5 or 6 times (in 33,000 miles) - hitting the throttle hard to accelerate from a lower throttle setting, but only if I really get after it.

The hesitation is the engine pulling power in response to the event. If you monitor the Octane Adjustment Ratio (I do with toque), you will note a huge drop in it shortly after these events.

I've only noted this using 87 octane fuel, and never regularly, happens randomly. Never heard it when towing or burning premium gas. If you use on "brand" of gas, try another. (may vary depending on where you live - there are identifiable sources here with some brands)

If you search for LSPI sound videos, take a look. That's what mine sounds like.
The following 2 users liked this post by MNgopher:
Bubbabiker (08-24-2018), Sanguine (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 11:48 AM
Solve et Coagula

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Sounds a lot like LSPI - Low Speed Pre Ignition. I've noted in in similar situations 5 or 6 times (in 33,000 miles) - hitting the throttle hard to accelerate from a lower throttle setting, but only if I really get after it.

The hesitation is the engine pulling power in response to the event. If you monitor the Octane Adjustment Ratio (I do with toque), you will note a huge drop in it shortly after these events.

I've only noted this using 87 octane fuel, and never regularly, happens randomly. Never heard it when towing or burning premium gas. If you use on "brand" of gas, try another. (may vary depending on where you live - there are identifiable sources here with some brands)

If you search for LSPI sound videos, take a look. That's what mine sounds like.
Very interesting... Never even thought of fuel, I was stuck on the mechanically related side of things. I am using 87 octane at the moment. I will try some 89 or 91 for S's n G's but, would that explain the one-time loud SNAP/CLACK sound that happens? That's the most worrysome part of it all. Thanks, I will look into the videos.

Quick Reply: Loud clack upon heavy acceleration?