Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Looking for opinions

I am looking for some opinions on what others would do. I had my truck for 8 hours when the back passenger window blew out for no reason and caused three very tiny chips in the paint on the door. My dealership replaced the window with no problem and even pointed out the chips. I have had the truck about three months now and just had it in to dealer to have chips looked at by body shop as well as some other minor things. The dealer is bending over backwords to make it right and will do anything needed with no problem but my question is they said they have to remove the door from truck remove all parts off the door remove paint sand and repaint. I am wondering if i should just live with the chips as opposed to having problems with the paint not matching or the door not lining up right and having problems with the seal because right now the seal is tight. Any help is appreciated. I would post pictures but they are small and wont show up with my phone camera. Thank you.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Purely my truck only here...I would just have them touch up the chips, no repaint. Had a fender repainted once turned into 3 more trips back and a repaint. Fender gap was off, left a line down the top edge cause they tape off each side? No idea why. However maybe ask for a bedliner since you took it easy on them not having to repaint.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Default Looking for opinions

Originally Posted by mudmedic
I am looking for some opinions on what others would do. I had my truck for 8 hours when the back passenger window blew out for no reason and caused three very tiny chips in the paint on the door. My dealership replaced the window with no problem and even pointed out the chips. I have had the truck about three months now and just had it in to dealer to have chips looked at by body shop as well as some other minor things. The dealer is bending over backwords to make it right and will do anything needed with no problem but my question is they said they have to remove the door from truck remove all parts off the door remove paint sand and repaint. I am wondering if i should just live with the chips as opposed to having problems with the paint not matching or the door not lining up right and having problems with the seal because right now the seal is tight. Any help is appreciated. I would post pictures but they are small and wont show up with my phone camera. Thank you.
No need to remove the door for 3 chips. Never heard of that, that's overkill. A hood, sure, I would rather have a hood removed to repair chips. They're only 4 bolts.

Handles and moldings should always be removed so not too have tape lines.

Color match would depend on colors. Silver, white pearl? One of those and I'd live with the chips. Even if they keep the color small, an extra 2 coats of clear on those colors can cause a color shift called the "swimming pool effect." Called that because the floor of a pool is one color, but looks darker in the deep end.

My opinion, as a painter myself. Some people are more particular, and would want it fixed, and that's fine, but I'd brush touch them, and wait until you have some real damage to repair. Like a scratch, or a dent.

Last edited by 21RRF150; 09-17-2015 at 02:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
130428 (09-17-2015)

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions