Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Line-X vs. Factory spray in bedliner

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 09:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Line-X vs. Factory spray in bedliner

From what I gather, the quality of the Line-X liner appears to be better. With that said, I'm wondering is if the factory liner would be less likely to involve problems during the application process? It seems like the application would be more controlled and less apt for screw-ups coming from the factory. I am particular about my vehicles and do not want my truck scratched or find over spray all over the place.

I can only assume the quality of the Line-X liner varies greatly from place to place. However, the fact that the liner is much thicker though makes me want to go the Line-X route. Another thing that gets me though is Line-X removes the bed bolts for install. The ford service manual says the bed bolts are 1 time use. Is this a concern?

The prices are similar which makes the decision even harder. What are everybody's thoughts?
Old 11-14-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I had my Line-X done at a Line-X shop. Very professional people. They explained exactly what would be done. How they’d prep the bed, which pieces would be removed and sprayed separately, and where they’d take the liner to. I was and still am very impressed with the quality of work. Plus they have a lifetime warranty against their product delamination, cracking, bubbling, etc.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:35 PM
Lurking Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

not sure if ford warranty covers repairs to the bed liner if you damage it, but line-x is lifetime warranty good for repair at any dealer coast to coast.
The following users liked this post:
UncleG (04-28-2018)
Old 11-14-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 248 Likes on 127 Posts

I had my '15 SCREW Short Bed done as a factory order. The quality to me is top notch. Why not have it done by the place that does it for thousands of the same vehicle?
Check it off the list and spend time getting that level kit on.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just traded in a Ram with a factory spray in liner. 5 years old and still perfect shape after fairly light use. My Lariat didn’t come lined and I had the Line X guys do it a few weeks ago. The Line X feels thicker to me and more of a rubber coating, where the factory Ram coating almost felt like it had sand mixed in for a little better skid resistance. I don’t know what the F150’s have but the F250 I drove had a factory liner that also felt slightly grittier than my Line X. The only complaint on my factory liner was it could be stained by oils easily.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:29 AM

Received 428 Likes on 293 Posts

Factory spray in DOES NOT fully protect between the end of the bed and the tailgate. The factory liners I've seen do not protect that section which I believe is important. Watch the posted video and you can CLEARLY see there is a fairly large difference between LineX and factory....
Old 11-15-2017, 07:17 AM

Received 268 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Haasguy
Just traded in a Ram with a factory spray in liner. 5 years old and still perfect shape after fairly light use. My Lariat didn’t come lined and I had the Line X guys do it a few weeks ago. The Line X feels thicker to me and more of a rubber coating, where the factory Ram coating almost felt like it had sand mixed in for a little better skid resistance. I don’t know what the F150’s have but the F250 I drove had a factory liner that also felt slightly grittier than my Line X. The only complaint on my factory liner was it could be stained by oils easily.
ram spray in liners are line-x. But not full thickness like independent shops do. They paint the beds and then ship them across the street to have them sprayed, then roll them back across for final assembly.

http://www.gfxltd.com/products-services/sub-page?pg=chrysler
Old 11-15-2017, 08:34 AM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by jserr68594
With that said, I'm wondering is if the factory liner would be less likely to involve problems during the application process? It seems like the application would be more controlled and less apt for screw-ups coming from the factory.
no, the bedliners arent actually installed at the factory, the trucks are shipped through the off site installer (ground effects ltd) if you look at the window sticker on each one with the factory spray in.

The following users liked this post:
cthusker (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Line-X is better (durability and warranty).

I have the factory spray-in bedliner and there is a huge gap between the end of the bed and the tailgate. Will most likely end up scratching it and it will oxidize at some point.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 3,324 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by SCrewYou
no, the bedliners arent actually installed at the factory, the trucks are shipped through the off site installer (ground effects ltd) if you look at the window sticker on each one with the factory spray in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgK-nwjcLug

That's Kansas City. At Dearborn, they are driven to an off-site location for application. Can't remember the name of the company, but it's not Ford. Ford, however, does install the plastic bedliner at the factory.