Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light bar and wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 12:02 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Light bar and wiring

I currently have a lightbar wired thru a harness with fuse and relay to a on/off switch. Is there a way to have it also turn on when i turn hi beams on? But still be able to turn on and off for in town driving? I would like to be able to turn it on and off and also come on automatic with hi beams (when i choose) so do i need one of those on/off/on switches? What do i add for wiring or do i just tap in the headlight wire and wiretapp to the lightbar power.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:46 AM
Wait, I can change this?

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

My understanding of wiring can be elementary at best some days but what I would Do is Get a Double Pole Double Throw 3 position switch(the On-Off-On you were talking about)

Then what I would do is on one side of the switch-lets say the up position- I would wire in a 4 pin relay that is obviously connected to the battery and a ground with the activation wire going to to your High beams and the So when you click the switch up the Light bar comes on when you click on your high beams

Then on the other side of the switch-the down side- I would wire in a circuit that just simply gave the light bar power, so its own power,fuse,ground yadda yadda.

Finally then with these two set ups when your in the center of the switch aka the Off Position it would be as if you didn't have a light bar at all and you could run only your High beams.

Hope this helps ya

All Ideas should be taken with the understanding that MouthyMedic is not a Electrician and all of his experience comes from trial and error. MouthyMedic is not responsible for any truck fires

Quick Reply: Light bar and wiring