Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light Bar and High beams

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light Bar and High beams

Relatively new here and just purchased 2015 F150 Lariat Sport, I bought a 20" LED combo light bar and was wondering if anyone out there has tried to wire it up to their high beam switch? If so, would you share with me how to do so? Thanks! I plan to document and take photos of my install to share once completed.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 225 Likes on 141 Posts

I thought about doing it, you could probably get a high beam splitter harness and an HID relay harness to make it work.

High beam splitter would split your factory high beam into two connectors, one to the actual high beam headlight, the other to your relay harness input. Relay harness + and - tie direct to battery, one relay harness output wired to light bar input.

That factory high beam signal would trigger the relay to open up 12v to the light bar when you flip the high beams on.
The following users liked this post:
Dexter Michael (11-04-2021)
Old 10-09-2015, 02:24 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

I always wire up my high power lights to switch with the high beams... I do lots of mountain driving and use them frequently, and need to be able to dim them very quickly.

One simple way to do it is to use the high beam wire to feed into the switch input of the relay, and put an on/off switch on the ground leg of the relay. Of course the main power feed for the relay to the lights and ground for the lights should be done with heavier gauge cable and direct to a better power source... The high beam wire and switched ground are only to control the relay, off if you don;t want the light bar to come on with your highbeams. If you always want the light bar to come on with the high beams, you can simplify and eliminate the switch.

In the example below, 86 would go to the high beams, 85 would go to ground, but go through a switch in the cab first to prevent the light bar from coming on if the switch is off. 30 to battery, 87 to light bar, along with another dedicated ground for the light bar.

Last edited by pfbz; 10-09-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:37 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Here's a diagram marked up for the application...

There are a dozen other ways to wire it, but this is 1) simple, 2) high current to lights, 3)only fishing a ground wire into the cab for easy hook-up, 4) extremely low additional current draw on existing high beam circuit

Last edited by pfbz; 10-09-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I hadn't considered doing this method till the other day when a friend of mine mentioned it. Will be a lot easier then having to fumble around for a switch to turn off and on. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 225 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Heliguy
Thanks! I hadn't considered doing this method till the other day when a friend of mine mentioned it. Will be a lot easier then having to fumble around for a switch to turn off and on. Thanks!
Just remember though, the bar will flash when you flash your beams and that could potentially get you in trouble with your local PD and **** off other drivers.
The following users liked this post:
Heliguy (10-09-2015)

Quick Reply: Light Bar and High beams