Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leer 100XL Bed Topper - Full Review w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 11:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Leer 100XL Bed Topper - Full Review w/ Pics

I recently purchased a Leer 100XL bed topper along with a Bed Rug. I wanted to do a full write up for anyone else considering a bed topper.

In Colorado, the bed topper is the way to go. I had a Roll-n-Lock on my '05 but it froze shut too many times so this time around I went with a bed topper.

Options I looked at were the Leer 100XL, A.R.E. Z-Series, and SnugTop Super Sport. Ended up with the Leer because of pricing and its reputation. The result? Expensive and not up to my expectations with quality.

$2,000 for the base topper, another $500 in options including the roof rack rails ($200), automatic lock ($200), and Tilt-Down Front Sliding Window ($100). Tack on another $425 for the Bed Rug (love it!) and I'm out $3,000. Paint is color matched, but be warned that although the paint is the same, you can definitely tell it isn't factory if looking closely, mainly because of how light hits the topper.

Fortunately the functionality of the bed topper is amazing. The amount of covered space back there is ridiculous, especially with camping gear, bikes, skis, etc. And secure. Lock is synced with the OEM remote. And doesn't look too bad.

Only downside was dealing with Leer. The dealer ordered the right options, but Leer built the topper with the wrong side windows. The upside is now I can share photos of what it looks like with the 100R side windows (hint: the metal frame doesn't look as good as the full glass; you can save some money, but it shows). The downside is I had to go to the dealer twice to get it installed. They also had to replace the struts for the back window.

Another concern is the amount of space between the bed and the topper. One side was 0.5" and the other was 0.25" - yes, the dealer installed it off center (and they have been doing this for 20 years). After several attempts to find out what the tolerance should be, neither Leer or the dealer was willing to tell me how much room there SHOULD be. But, I got it reinstalled and the gaps went down. Not sure what they did, but it worked.

Also worth mentioning, the lip on the back glass isn't too bad. It is definitely huge, but it is a good fit and doesn't look weird.

Below are some photos of the 100XL (full glass side windows) and the last photo is the 100R (metal frame).
Attached Thumbnails Leer 100XL Bed Topper - Full Review w/ Pics-100xl-full-quarter.jpg   Leer 100XL Bed Topper - Full Review w/ Pics-100xl-back-half.jpg   Leer 100XL Bed Topper - Full Review w/ Pics-100xl-back.jpg   Leer 100XL Bed Topper - Full Review w/ Pics-100xl-gap.jpg   Leer 100XL Bed Topper - Full Review w/ Pics-100xl-lip.jpg  

Leer 100XL Bed Topper - Full Review w/ Pics-100r-full.jpg  
The following 5 users liked this post by danemv:
Flogson (04-02-2016), HappyChappy (01-26-2017), Jason_Larsen (11-17-2015), slc (04-06-2018), Tideline77 (09-24-2022)
Old 07-23-2015, 11:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a photo of the Bed Rug
Attached Thumbnails Leer 100XL Bed Topper - Full Review w/ Pics-bed-rug.jpg  
Old 11-17-2015, 12:47 AM

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Thank you for the review. I am leaning towards the leer 100r as the sliding windows are better leaving a dog inside. Have you had any issues after having it for a few months now?
Old 11-17-2015, 01:56 AM

Received 120 Likes on 98 Posts

Good to know nothing has changed with Leer. I had pretty much the same things to say with my 06 topper 100XQ. I ordered a new one and can expect to be less than thrilled again with the build quality. The trouble is nobody else builds a topper with good build quality either. :-( Man I wish some company would step up to the plate and knock it out of the park. I have not owned a topper yet where I said wow this is just well made and the details are dead on. Leer - passable, Jason - well I got what I paid for, can't say much beyond that. ARE reading seems to be a worse build quality than Leer.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:01 AM

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Rontbeamer
Good to know nothing has changed with Leer. I had pretty much the same things to say with my 06 topper 100XQ. I ordered a new one and can expect to be less than thrilled again with the build quality. The trouble is nobody else builds a topper with good build quality either. :-( Man I wish some company would step up to the plate and knock it out of the park. I have not owned a topper yet where I said wow this is just well made and the details are dead on. Leer - passable, Jason - well I got what I paid for, can't say much beyond that. ARE reading seems to be a worse build quality than Leer.
I've looked at ARE snug top and leer. Still have some more shopping to do but leer for the money fits what I'm looking for. I wish the 2018 expedition was here already.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:07 AM

That's why I end up with Leer. The build quality is not great. Jason the build quality was poor.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:34 AM

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Agreed with above findings - my Leer had windows that leaked like they were open. The gaps between the window edges and the fiberglass top were huge. Had it shipped back to Leer, and they did not completely correct the issue. They were awful to deal with, and talked to me as if the problem was my fault. Will just do a tri-fold bed cover on my next truck...
Old 11-17-2015, 11:53 AM

Received 108 Likes on 85 Posts

in all my price shopping for caps I found the ARE Z series to be only $100 more with the same options that a LEER would be. I went ARE and haven't had any of the issues people are mentioning above. color match is pretty darn close (mines magnetic so its got metallic in it) fit is good, and that back glass with no "mount points" going through it looks real nice.

a few of the places I got prices from sell Leer and ARE and all of them said for how close they are in price that the ARE was the way to go in respect to overall quality.
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (01-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2015, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by gsxr1216
in all my price shopping for caps I found the ARE Z series to be only $100 more with the same options that a LEER would be. I went ARE and haven't had any of the issues people are mentioning above. color match is pretty darn close (mines magnetic so its got metallic in it) fit is good, and that back glass with no "mount points" going through it looks real nice.

a few of the places I got prices from sell Leer and ARE and all of them said for how close they are in price that the ARE was the way to go in respect to overall quality.
You hunt around this forum there are quite a few paint complaints with ARE.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:54 AM

Received 108 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Rontbeamer
You hunt around this forum there are quite a few paint complaints with ARE.
And there are ones about LEER, Jason, Century, ETC for the same paint complaints.

Quick Reply: Leer 100XL Bed Topper - Full Review w/ Pics