Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Headlight Retrofit Technical Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 05:52 PM

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Default LED Headlight Retrofit Technical Help

Need some technical help from you guys. I'll try to be short, but it may not work out well. I have been running the retrofit LED headlights in my truck for a while now. I had the silver ones originally and then changed to the blacked out ones. The problem I experience is that my driver side headlight low beam will randomly turn off. Once this happens, it will not turn back on unless I cycle the headlight switch from on to off and then back on. It then turns right back on and never goes out... Until a few weeks later. The problem only happens every 2 weeks or so. Let me be clear here. I NEVER use the auto lamp feature, as the vendor stated it would not work. I also have the DRL disabled. So it's not an issue with those. I bought a second retrofit harness just to try, and things worked well for one month, but then it happened again. It's not an issue with the harness. And it's always a problem on the driver side only. No problem with high beams, signals, etc... Just the low beam. I troubleshot the wiring, BCM, etc... Found no issues. I put my halogens back in and never had a problem again. I used a cheap code reader and found that the BCM has an error code of B1D00, which is a driver headlight low beam short or some fault. I bench tested the LED's and ballasts and never had a single problem running them straight from a 12V battery in my basement. I compared amperage and resistance between the two lamps / ballasts and they are all the same. The service manual sucks when it comes to troubleshooting these headlights. It basically says to try to replace the ballast and if that doesn't work, try to replace the entire light. (LED headlights are no longer serviceable, like they were in the originals. They changed the design.) I'm thinking my truck is just super sensitive to the electronics in the harness that tries to fool the BCM into thinking the halogens are still there. Or, with the PWM that the BCM uses, the halogens don't experience problems, but the LED's do. Any suggestions would be awesome. I'm really stuck here as I love these SE LED's, but hate having to deal with this. I'm almost ready to run the LED's from a relay like a lot of guys run HIDS, but I've heard that doesn't always work either. I've already invested a ton into this retrofit and it sucks not getting the results intended. Vendor has been no help at all, so that's out. Thanks guys.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:06 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Boy, thats a Long sentence!
Old 11-04-2016, 06:33 PM

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Who made the harness?
Old 11-04-2016, 06:47 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

First of all...you need to tell us what you are running. you just said "vendor" are these Dawnson's lights? If so, what did Dawon have to say?

I'm guessing you need a CANbus Anti-Flicker harness... with our LED Conversion Kits we're finding SOME model 2016's need these... so if my customers need them on SOME (not all) 2016's my guess is YOU need it on... well whatever contraption you have lighting up there..

maybe you can be a bit more specific and let us know exactly what you are running in there?
Old 11-04-2016, 07:14 PM

Received 134 Likes on 123 Posts

Are you talking about the Halogen to OEM led swap. I've had my lights for over a month now and this has happened twice already. I have mine set on auto and no problems whatsoever. I just cycle through manual turn off and back to auto and it's back to normal. I purchased my harness from the retrofit source and there was a minor hiccup from the beginning but I got that all resolved. Maybe it's normal? I know with drls it runs at a lower amperage rating as opposed to full power.

Last edited by ricky81; 11-04-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm about to buy a Lariat and found s great price on one with a 501a package.... no LED headlights or taillights. Can you upgrade to them simply by purchasing the OEM ones that come on with the 7k 502a package??
Old 11-04-2016, 07:46 PM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tmh23
I'm about to buy a Lariat and found s great price on one with a 501a package.... no LED headlights or taillights. Can you upgrade to them simply by purchasing the OEM ones that come on with the 7k 502a package??
No you need to purchase a $350 harness from raptor retrofits for the headlights. You also need an adapter harness for the taillights.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:46 PM

Received 134 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tmh23
You can purchase these after. With the headlights you'll need a harness and with the rear you will need to build your own. There is a thread on this. I heard from another member that a vendor is gonna start selling the blacked out OEM LEDs for $2500USD. Prior to that he was selling for $1650USD.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:56 PM

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Ok. This could get pricey and add a plethora of electrical issues. Ford is retarded...just put the LED's on the whole line!!
Old 11-05-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

This is the OEM retrofit conversion. The $1600 one. There was only one vendor selling it when I purchased them, so I'll just leave it at that. It seems that this is just something you have to live with if you want the OEM leds. It just sucks paying that kind of money for a product that doesn't always work. And the harnesses actually come with the "canbus" fix built in. They have the sealed box with the capacitor and resistor. And the even stranger thing is, I've run drop in LED bulbs in my halogens with the canbus fix and never had this issue.