Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED Headlight Question

Hi all,

I have just purchased some CREE LED headlight bulbs from amazon that god pretty good reviews. I installed them in the truck last night and when i turned the lights on they shined beautifully. This morning driving to work i noticed the right headlight was out. It seems that when the truck is on, and in auto only the left works. And even when i try to turn the lights to the on position, the right bulb will flicker then immediately turn off..

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2019, 02:13 PM

Received 3,164 Likes on 2,193 Posts

1) Cree doesn't make and bulbs with LED's small enough to accurately simulate the diameter and length of a halogen filament. While the light output might look great to you, it is most likely generating glare for other drivers. I'd take advantage of the failure you are having to return the bulbs, then purchase a set that uses Phillips Z-ES LED's in a single row arrangement of 3 LED's per side.

2) You didn't mention which bulbs you purchased. There are a ton of bulbs with the cheapest available drivers. Failures are common.

3) Many have had luck with sinoparcel (or any other brand with exact matching design, they are made by the same mfg regardless of the naming convention). I'm running sino's for both dipped and full beams, no issues in about a year of use, no flicker or color fade or lumen loss. Come with a two year warranty.
The following users liked this post:
mbrick (05-31-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 04:35 PM

Received 194 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Flamingtaco
1) Cree doesn't make and bulbs with LED's small enough to accurately simulate the diameter and length of a halogen filament. While the light output might look great to you, it is most likely generating glare for other drivers. I'd take advantage of the failure you are having to return the bulbs, then purchase a set that uses Phillips Z-ES LED's in a single row arrangement of 3 LED's per side.

2) You didn't mention which bulbs you purchased. There are a ton of bulbs with the cheapest available drivers. Failures are common.

3) Many have had luck with sinoparcel (or any other brand with exact matching design, they are made by the same mfg regardless of the naming convention). I'm running sino's for both dipped and full beams, no issues in about a year of use, no flicker or color fade or lumen loss. Come with a two year warranty.
I upgraded to Techmax Mini LED bulbs around 6 months ago. Very similar to Sinoparcel...maybe the same manufacturer like you said.

Anyway, no issues at all since the install. I would 85 mm dustcaps though. I went with 83 mm and they were harder to install than the actual bulb! Especially on that upper (lowbeam?) bulb housing.

I would not recommend omitting the dust caps.

Quick Reply: LED Headlight Question