Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kicker Sub package upgrade vs Sony sub?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 05:58 AM

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Question Kicker Sub package upgrade vs Sony sub?

I searched... I swear I did (before the hate messages start) but couldn't find a direct answer...

Has anyone done the upgrade from the optional Sony system with the subwoofer/amp mounted behind the seat to the Kicker subwoofer/amp that is a direct replacement? And if so- was it worth the $$$?

I'm really, really disappointed in the bass levels/quality of the Sony system, even after doing the polyfill mod, it still seems like I get more bass from the door speakers than the sub. I know it'll never rival an aftermarket enclosure/amp, but I really don't want to go that route again, I'd much rather stay plug-n-play factory style. However, I'd like to hear from someone who's upgraded from the Sony sub to the Kicker system first. Also- did you experience the signal loss that those who installed the Kicker to a NON Sony system did?

I appreciate any assistance in advance!
Old 11-24-2016, 06:08 AM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Best bang for your buck is Aftermarket! Both the Sony sub, and Kicker are both 8" subs!

You can easily fit a 10" shallowmount sub, in the same spot. Yet a good aftermarket 10", will hit alot better... You can use the oem sub connector, for the signal to the new aftermarket sub.

Youll just have to run a thicker Power wire, and ground.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:11 AM
One Clean Machine

I went with a Kicker CompR. 10 sub, and a Alpine amp. Also included a pic of the alpine amps bass **** location.

I installed it myself, and cost me 325.00. Vs. The 475.00 the 8"kicker substage costs...

Try searching the Audio Section. Theres a few guys, with Lairiats and or Plattys, that went to aftermarket subs as well...
Attached Thumbnails Kicker Sub package upgrade vs Sony sub?-20161011_233212.jpg   Kicker Sub package upgrade vs Sony sub?-20160925_110831.jpg  

Last edited by Toddman38; 11-24-2016 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice. Did you make the sub box? Looks like you had to cut the carpet out. Does the seat hit the speaker? Did you relocate the Sony amp?
Old 11-25-2016, 12:37 AM
One Clean Machine

Originally Posted by Smanale
Looks nice. Did you make the sub box? Looks like you had to cut the carpet out. Does the seat hit the speaker? Did you relocate the Sony amp?
bought it on amazon, its a RF box that had a RF sub in it. Didnt like the RF sub, so I upgraded to the Kicker. Yes, to fit a 10" sub or larger, youll need to trim the rear wall padding..

I have almost 2" of clearance between the seat, and the sub. When the seats in down position, when the seats up and locked, about 1/4"

I dont have the sony stereo, but yes, most that do relocate the amp somewhere behind the seat. As the sony amp, powers all the door speakers as well as the stock sony sub. Youll still need a aftermarket amp, as the sony amp doesnt have enough power for a good aftermarket sub!

Last edited by Toddman38; 11-25-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll get adventurous and tackle this sometime soon. I like the idea of a 10" sub behind the seat (don't mess with my under seat space) but I was hoping for very minimal modification since I don't have much time and I'm a novice. I have the Sony system and it just sounds so flat and it lacks punch. I'll probably have to upgrade the door +/- center speaker too if I do it.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:11 AM
One Clean Machine

Try adding the aftermarket 10" sub 1st, Sm... Youll be suprised by the results, and may skip the door speaker upgrade.

I did...
Old 11-29-2016, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Toddman38
Try adding the aftermarket 10" sub 1st, Sm... Youll be suprised by the results, and may skip the door speaker upgrade.

I did...
Toddman,
Since you like the Kicker 10", what do you think about this box?
http://www.kicker.com/43TCWRT102

Also, what do you think about drilling a hole in the bottom of the box to let it fit over the bolt and sit lower? Would that allow you to not have to cut the carpet and padding on the back?
Old 11-29-2016, 09:22 PM
One Clean Machine

Originally Posted by Smanale
Toddman,
Since you like the Kicker 10", what do you think about this box?
http://www.kicker.com/43TCWRT102

Also, what do you think about drilling a hole in the bottom of the box to let it fit over the bolt and sit lower? Would that allow you to not have to cut the carpet and padding on the back?
The bottom depth of that box you list is too deep, even if you cut the rear padding, it still wont fit.

My boxes bottom depth is 5 and 1/4, seat folded down, I have almost 2" of space. Folded up 1/4".

You can fit a 8", without trimming the padding, but anything larger requires trimming of the ladding. Some have trimmed the seat belt attachment bolt down by a inch or less, and then sitting the box on top of a 2x4. With a hole drilled in the 2x4 vs the box.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Toddman38
The bottom depth of that box you list is too deep, even if you cut the rear padding, it still wont fit.

My boxes bottom depth is 5 and 1/4, seat folded down, I have almost 2" of space. Folded up 1/4".

You can fit a 8", without trimming the padding, but anything larger requires trimming of the ladding. Some have trimmed the seat belt attachment bolt down by a inch or less, and then sitting the box on top of a 2x4. With a hole drilled in the 2x4 vs the box.
Darn. I was looking for the easy way out. I was hoping that cutting a hole in the box would let me mount it low enough to squeeze it in without padding trimming. I have the Sony system, which has an 8" already. It's just lacks any punch and the system seems muddy and flat. I guess padding trimming will be in my future.