Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Katzkin Limited Leather in a 2018 F150 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 02:43 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Default Katzkin Limited Leather in a 2018 F150 XLT

I recently (finally) finished up my diy katzkin leather install in my 2018 XLT 302a and thought I'd share a couple pictures. This is the Limited style in stone grey with the red stitching and black accents. The style of the leather completely restyles the seat and gives the boring XLT grey interior a whole lot more pop in my opinion, and the stone grey is a great match to my grey door panels and the black ties into the dash and other areas, with the red tying in a little contrast.

I have the 40/20/40 split bench seat and instead of re-wrapping the factory console lid I opted to go with a factory Ford black leather console lid from a Lariat package. It's a cleaner look this way and much less headache trying to hot glue the chunk of fabric they supply onto your factory lid. Fitment is good, however if you are installing yourself make note of the top corners of the front seatbacks as well as the bottom corners of the rear seat to ensure everything is adjusted properly and you have no strange wrinkles. I will have to go back and do some readjustment at some point perhaps with some steam. I also opted out of cutting out the holes for the headrest in the jumpseat because the headrest has been out since day 1.

Overall I'd recommend against doing this install yourself. There's a TON of time that goes into it especially if you're busy like me. It took me almost a month from start to finish to pick away at this, so just pay someone to do it in a day and move on with life. It's not a DIY job you'll enjoy especially if you have the jumpseat. I got the kit from CanadaSeatSkins and it was just under $1,000 for everything.

If you do decide to install yourself, you'll save yourself a whole lot more time and headache cutting off the factory cloth at the seam where the plastic clips meet the fabric. Factory cloth is useless so it's not worth saving and you won't want to tear your truck apart to go back to stock.

I will be painting the cupholder trim and side trim plastic on the jump seat black to match the fabric better which I believe will give it a much cleaner look.
The following users liked this post:
leamdav (06-07-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 03:18 PM

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Great...something else to lighten my wallet
Old 05-09-2018, 03:45 PM
TOTM Sept. '18

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by HCFX2013
I recently (finally) finished up my diy katzkin leather install in my 2018 XLT 302a and thought I'd share a couple pictures. This is the Limited style in stone grey with the red stitching and black accents. The style of the leather completely restyles the seat and gives the boring XLT grey interior a whole lot more pop in my opinion, and the stone grey is a great match to my grey door panels and the black ties into the dash and other areas, with the red tying in a little contrast.

I have the 40/20/40 split bench seat and instead of re-wrapping the factory console lid I opted to go with a factory Ford black leather console lid from a Lariat package. It's a cleaner look this way and much less headache trying to hot glue the chunk of fabric they supply onto your factory lid. Fitment is good, however if you are installing yourself make note of the top corners of the front seatbacks as well as the bottom corners of the rear seat to ensure everything is adjusted properly and you have no strange wrinkles. I will have to go back and do some readjustment at some point perhaps with some steam. I also opted out of cutting out the holes for the headrest in the jumpseat because the headrest has been out since day 1.

Overall I'd recommend against doing this install yourself. There's a TON of time that goes into it especially if you're busy like me. It took me almost a month from start to finish to pick away at this, so just pay someone to do it in a day and move on with life. It's not a DIY job you'll enjoy especially if you have the jumpseat. I got the kit from CanadaSeatSkins and it was just under $1,000 for everything.

If you do decide to install yourself, you'll save yourself a whole lot more time and headache cutting off the factory cloth at the seam where the plastic clips meet the fabric. Factory cloth is useless so it's not worth saving and you won't want to tear your truck apart to go back to stock.

I will be painting the cupholder trim and side trim plastic on the jump seat black to match the fabric better which I believe will give it a much c
eaner look.
Looks good...I have an RC so I only had to do the front 2 seats and the jump seat. IMO the hardest part was the jump seat too. I was getting close to giving up on getting the two clip rails to meet in the back. It seemed like they were just to short. I just kept working it and eventually got them clipped together. Took me a full weekend, for everything except the console lid. I had to order the correct staples and stapler for it. When I first started the console lid I said to myself...WTF is this? Turned out pretty good actually.

I'm with you on paying someone if you can be SURE they would do a good job. Frankly I've seen a few "Professedly" done seat that don't look as good as mine and that would have been a real disappointment.

Mine are not the Limited which I wanted unfortunately they didn't make them for an RC so I settled for a pattern that similar, but now extremely happy with what I have.

Mike
Old 05-09-2018, 03:46 PM

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I am doing mine this week. I already did the rears. I don't like the orange clips as some of them don't have much "hold" and come unclipped as you are working on the seat. I think hog clips would have been better. I am still working on the wrinkle from the factory on the back seat lower corners that you mentioned. I also could not get the plastic clip to hold on the bottom larger back seat in the rear corner where the zipper stops. Just continually comes undone. I may stick a staple through the plastic to hold it.

It is possible DIY solo... just time consuming and aggravating. I found using a plastic interior panel tool the easiest to undo the orange clips... saves fingers.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:00 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Originally Posted by OCMike
Looks good...I have an RC so I only had to do the front 2 seats and the jump seat. IMO the hardest part was the jump seat too. I was getting close to giving up on getting the two clip rails to meet in the back. It seemed like they were just to short. I just kept working it and eventually got them clipped together. Took me a full weekend, for everything except the console lid. I had to order the correct staples and stapler for it. When I first started the console lid I said to myself...WTF is this? Turned out pretty good actually.

I'm with you on paying someone if you can be SURE they would do a good job. Frankly I've seen a few "Professedly" done seat that don't look as good as mine and that would have been a real disappointment.

Mine are not the Limited which I wanted unfortunately they didn't make them for an RC so I settled for a pattern that similar, but now extremely happy with what I have.

Mike
It's funny you mention that seat bottom on the jump seat. I had a hell of a time as well but ended up using steam and a big flat screwdriver & chisel and finally got it to clip in. The biggest pain was actually getting the one-piece leather cover to fit over the massive piece of foam. It took HOURS of working it on there a little at a time with the odd blast of steam from my iron before I finally got it all the way on.

Originally Posted by Kanadian-kaos
I am doing mine this week. I already did the rears. I don't like the orange clips as some of them don't have much "hold" and come unclipped as you are working on the seat. I think hog clips would have been better. I am still working on the wrinkle from the factory on the back seat lower corners that you mentioned. I also could not get the plastic clip to hold on the bottom larger back seat in the rear corner where the zipper stops. Just continually comes undone. I may stick a staple through the plastic to hold it.

It is possible DIY solo... just time consuming and aggravating. I found using a plastic interior panel tool the easiest to undo the orange clips... saves fingers.
I agree. I actually tore one orange clip out of the foam on my driver's seat but it hasn't caused an issue so far. For the whole back seat I ended up just slicing off the cloth at the seam where the plastic rail is fastened and slid the plastic rails out of the clips rather than unclipping them. Much easier on the fingers.
OCMike (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OCMike

Mike
I think your seats look great Mike! I like that style. I'm getting the same seats except all black leather with red stitching to match the red stitching that comes with the Special Edition package. I can't wait see my truck on Monday. I ordered my SCAB and it came in Friday and I'm waiting on the leather to be installed. The dealer is 90 miles away, so I'm getting pretty antsy.
OCMike (05-09-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 03:35 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

It looks good! I just finished installing Katzkin leather today. I spread it over 4 days because the seam clips are hard on the fingertips. I bought the “SEMA” black and grey. It looks good with the black and grey in the interior and cost just over $500. I’m really glad I found this post. I’m not impressed with the black vinyl piece for the armrest. I was thinking of options but hadn’t thought about an OEM leather lid. I just ordered one. Thanks for the idea!
Old 05-27-2018, 07:49 PM
TOTM Sept. '18

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by chadfo
I’m not impressed with the black vinyl piece for the armrest. I was thinking of options but hadn’t thought about an OEM leather lid. I just ordered one. Thanks for the idea!

chadfo,
I wasn't impressed either, I was very surprised at how good you can make it look if you take your time and have the right tools.. If you want to give it a shot don't remove the cloth cover put it over the top. You will need a pneumatic stapler, the right staples and a good steamer. You can see how mine came out a few pictures above.

I saw your pictures in the what did you do with your truck today thread...Looks good!

Mike

Last edited by OCMike; 05-27-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stone vs ash

Any conclusion on if the xlt black interior with stiching on center console and shifter boot matched ash or stone?.. Or some other variation they have lol. Probably going to just order a book to make sure but was curious to opinions..

Also can anyone let me know the quality of the suede wings or by chance the gel inserts.. Thanks
Old 05-14-2019, 05:19 AM

Received 373 Likes on 153 Posts

Looks really good. I'm usually a DIY'er but I paid to have mine installed. Dropped the truck off and 6 hours later it was finished.

Quick Reply: Katzkin Limited Leather in a 2018 F150 XLT