Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished 2" auto Spring lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 12:23 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Just finished 2" auto Spring lift

Ok so I have a few comments about this. IMO this was much more difficult than I expected and took way longer than I was expecting. The fact that those spacers require you to reinstall the struts 180*out from where they are stock makes it a real PITA!! Also having to loosen the A-Arms so much is also a issue b/c there is no way you can put them back properly which is why I assume you have to get the alignment??
So I'm wondering, are more or all tires shops capable of getting those arms in proper position during alignment, I sure hope so?
Old 09-13-2015, 07:48 AM

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

While it was definitely more work than the previous (09-13) model years, I found the install to be as expected. I did research and found the lower control arm needed to be basically removed, but it was also easier to install them that way on the previous model year trucks. As far as getting the arms back close, all it took was a paint marker line around the nuts on the frame to get mine to within 3 degrees of being right on the camber/caster. I found the most difficult task was breaking the LCA bolts loose, but once the were free it was business as usual.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I appreciate you posting some difficulties installing the spacers. The 2 minute videos put out by the companies that sell these kits make it look like a walk in the park, but having done numerous mods on my Harley - well I had a feeling things were not so simple for a first time installer.

Would this install have been easier with new coilovers vs the spacers?
Old 09-13-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 178 Likes on 112 Posts

I find when doing modifications, multiply the time and cost X3 and I am in the ballpark.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
I appreciate you posting some difficulties installing the spacers. The 2 minute videos put out by the companies that sell these kits make it look like a walk in the park, but having done numerous mods on my Harley - well I had a feeling things were not so simple for a first time installer.

Would this install have been easier with new coilovers vs the spacers?
I doubt it, what I should have done was just remove the LCA's which I was trying to avoid so I fought that piece of the process. I was just trying to avoid moving the LCAs at all cost but in the end I had to just loosen them up so much that I did not avoid the inevitable which was moving those LCAs. I did read in the instructions that I should mark there location but I was not sure what was meant by that, mark location as far as position of the LCA or just mark where the orientation of the bolts? The instructions were not clear on that part so that threw me off. If I were to do this again those would be marked more clearly with a white marker of some kind and then I'd just drop them.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

The only thing I would do differently if I had to do it again would be to break the lower ball joint loose versus the upper and remove the LCA completely.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:28 PM

So I thought I'd add a pic of truck with lift... Looks pretty good to me, I understand after it's aligned the front will drop a little which I hope does happen as it looks a little high to me.

2015 F150 with AS 2" level
The following users liked this post:
kendive (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 04:27 PM

Received 254 Likes on 106 Posts

It took me 45 minutes to install my 1.5" AutoSpring leveling kit. After removing the strut, I removed the 2 studs from the bottom of the strut, then took a wrench & repositioned the lower stud mount to let it go right back into place no problem. Reinstall the strut after bolting the spacers on top, then reinstall the bottom studs & use the nuts to pull them back through tight. Tightened sway bar end links, upper ball joints & tie rods....reinstall wheels & you're done. What's so hard about it ?
Old 09-13-2015, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fasttimez
It took me 45 minutes to install my 1.5" AutoSpring leveling kit. After removing the strut, I removed the 2 studs from the bottom of the strut, then took a wrench & repositioned the lower stud mount to let it go right back into place no problem. Reinstall the strut after bolting the spacers on top, then reinstall the bottom studs & use the nuts to pull them back through tight. Tightened sway bar end links, upper ball joints & tie rods....reinstall wheels & you're done. What's so hard about it ?
Getting the struts out and back in was not so easy, took a lot of work to get them out and back... I've installed full suspensions in less time with less problems..........
Old 09-13-2015, 08:10 PM

Received 141 Likes on 84 Posts

katoom, fwiw...your hardwork paid off. your truck looks great.
The following users liked this post:
katoom (09-13-2015)

Quick Reply: Just finished 2" auto Spring lift