Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a couple things...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 06:05 AM

Received 366 Likes on 225 Posts

Default Just a couple things...

While installing step tubes yesterday form my Ford Dealer ....I was looking under the truck. I noticed the gas tank looked 5' long tucked inside the frame. Unfortunately my tank is 23 gallons I believe not 34 like my 2010 had. But the tank is plastic. A lot of molded indents to strengthen it. But long and plastic. I don't go off roading. But have seen enough road debris in my life that could bump up and puncture the tank. Anyone looking to buy. I'd get the off road skid plates had I known the tank is so exposed.
And in front of the tank along the frame towards the tranny is a lunch box size plastic electrical box. Yes plastic box flush with the bottom of the frame.
I see a stick or limb kicking up and ripping that box out of there. At the back of the tranny there is a cross frame brace. And the next location of the next cross from brace ?? Any guesses ?? That would be the rear axles and spring hangers. I certainly see how 700 lbs has been shaved out of the truck weight. Don't get me wrong...I love my truck. But a lot of changes underneath I hope aren't issues in the years to come.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by stainlessman
While installing step tubes yesterday form my Ford Dealer ....I was looking under the truck. I noticed the gas tank looked 5' long tucked inside the frame. Unfortunately my tank is 23 gallons I believe not 34 like my 2010 had. But the tank is plastic. A lot of molded indents to strengthen it. But long and plastic. I don't go off roading. But have seen enough road debris in my life that could bump up and puncture the tank. Anyone looking to buy. I'd get the off road skid plates had I known the tank is so exposed.
And in front of the tank along the frame towards the tranny is a lunch box size plastic electrical box. Yes plastic box flush with the bottom of the frame.
I see a stick or limb kicking up and ripping that box out of there. At the back of the tranny there is a cross frame brace. And the next location of the next cross from brace ?? Any guesses ?? That would be the rear axles and spring hangers. I certainly see how 700 lbs has been shaved out of the truck weight. Don't get me wrong...I love my truck. But a lot of changes underneath I hope aren't issues in the years to come.
That's why I got the RCI skid plate system. If something rips through that I probably have bigger problems to worry about...
Old 09-12-2015, 08:23 AM

Received 366 Likes on 225 Posts

I agree.....Thanks to another member for sending me a body off pic of the frame showing more supports then I had seen.....

Quick Reply: Just a couple things...