Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jcat's mini-build...'15 4x4 SCab XLT 302a

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 225 Likes on 141 Posts

Default jcat's mini-build...'15 4x4 SCab XLT 302a

Figured I'd start a little build thread to keep track of my progress on this thing. I recently traded a 2014 Ram 1500 Express 4x4 Crew Cab Hemi for my 2015 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercab. The difference is night and day. I liked the Ram, but when you can lower your lease payment for a truck that has much more equipment and build quality, while getting your property taxes rolled in? You do it.

So, here's the specs as I picked her up:

2015 F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4
5.0L V-8, 6spd auto, 3.31 rear axle (non-locking)
Race Red over Charcoal interior
302a luxury, trailer tow package, appearance package

Factory options of note: wheel-to-wheel chrome sidesteps, in-bed LED lighting, backup camera and sensors, 8" MFT

The truck is leased, so there won't be a whole heck of a lot going on with it. I know there will be plenty of people who can't wrap their heads around why on earth I'd mod a leased truck, and people who believe the BS that you'll void your warranty or break contract by modding the truck, but I don't want to hear it. It's all BS. Chrysler told me getting out of my lease early would appear similar to a repo on my credit, which clearly wasn't the case (I had 20 months left on a 36 month lease). I'm also a volunteer firefighter and so this is likely to be my primary response vehicle particularly in poor weather as I won't be driving my 04 grand marquis beater in the winter.

My plan is to just bring the truck up to the same functional level I had in the Ram, and then I can start playing. I've put about 600 miles on the truck since taking delivery and am going to go until about 1500 before I drain the factory fill and replace it with full synthetic and a good filter.

Functional items:

-Bedliner (added, drop in duraliner)
-Tonneau Cover (TonnoPro LoRoll, in the process of buying)
-HID Headlights and fog lights (ordered)
-AVS Tape on Vent Visors (ordered)
-Window Tint, 15% to match factory rear windows (Scheduled for Sat 9/26)
-LED Reverse, plate, and Cargo bulbs

I'll also be adding some discrete warning lights at some point, probably a few LED modules mounted behind the grille, one in each rear side window and another few in the rear window as well. Before any Debbie Downers show up, yes, I am 100% legal to run these lights in my state and town.

Beyond that, as a more long term plan I'll be looking to add the following items that are less of a need and more of a want:

-Corsa sport exhaust ($$$ restriction here)
-LED aux reverse lights
-2" front level
Attached Thumbnails jcat's mini-build...'15 4x4 SCab XLT 302a-img_0157.jpg  
Old 09-24-2015, 01:05 PM

Somehow my original post got cut off.

An additional item I'm going to be working on is figuring out a way to integrate a toolbox into the boxlink system. I haven't really decided whether it'll be a small single box that can be attached to one of the boxlink brackets, or a larger unit that will sit up and over the wheelwell and attach to both brackets. This is being driven out of downsizing from my crew cab to a supercab and not really having much room for stuff under the seat. What I'd like to be able to keep in there is a couple chains, tow straps, various attachments for the hitch (ball mount, recovery ring etc.), set of work gloves and that kind of stuff. I think the boxlink system presents a really nice opportunity to build up something just right for the purpose rather than some of the more generic options out there. I had originally looked at a swingcase type box but that blocks the bed LEDs and doesn't play so nice with a drop in bedliner, so that went out the window.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:35 AM

Quick update, the following items have been installed:

-AVS visors
-LED plate lights
-Husky wheelwell liners (forgot that in the first post)
-Covercraft carhartt rear seat cover kit (factory ford)

I have to say I'm thrilled with the seat cover kit. I originally was going to pass on it because it was up around $250 from realtruck and the other aftermarkets, and even covercraft themselves. I was able to find it listed on partscheap.com as a factory Ford part for $168, with $15 shipping and I decided to jump on it. The fit is great, even has headrest covers, and doesn't obstruct seatbelt buckles like the generic seatcovers do.

I started a separate thread on my HID install. I've got the driver's side done but need to wait for the relay harness to get the other side finished and working.

Tonneau cover should be here tomorrow I believe, and the HID parts I need will be here by the weekend. At which point I'll get those things in, and start the next phase of ordering. I'm in line to win a set of blue 'powered by ford' coil covers on ebay at which point I'll be ordering the ball studs to install them on the motor and add a little bling to the engine bay.

Last edited by jcat; 10-06-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:10 AM

Tonneau cover is installed. Going to adjust the positioning of the clamps this weekend though. Super happy with it, excellent quality and easy install.

Low beam HIDs are installed. Makes a massive difference, couldn't be happier. Might tighten up some wiring this weekend also.

Received the correct bulbs for my fogs, but will need another relay harness to install them. Only problem with that is I can foresee running that wiring being a difficult task, which has me reconsidering whether I should think about LEDs.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:32 AM

resurrecting this from the dead.

At this point, I've installed the HMSL/cargo lamp LED kit from F150leds as well but not much more progress than that.

One of my plate lights went out....have a couple spare LEDs so I'll have to get that sorted.

After months and months of agonizing over which exhaust I wanted, it came down to the flowmaster american thunder, and the Solo Mach 40. In the end, I had missed the deadline for the Solo group buy and was able to find the Flowmaster kit on Ebay for $625, so I pulled the trigger. I'll take some pics when it comes time to install it, and hopefully a couple videos of exterior and interior sound levels.

I had been extremely concerned over drone, but the more I thought about my driving, it's all city 8.5 miles each way to work at around 40mph most of the way, and then about 50-60mph heading to the station. The truck will be sitting around 1200rpm most of the time and shouldn't drone. The few times I actually do get on the highway, I'll figure out a way to deal with it.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat
resurrecting this from the dead.

At this point, I've installed the HMSL/cargo lamp LED kit from F150leds as well but not much more progress than that.

One of my plate lights went out....have a couple spare LEDs so I'll have to get that sorted.

After months and months of agonizing over which exhaust I wanted, it came down to the flowmaster american thunder, and the Solo Mach 40. In the end, I had missed the deadline for the Solo group buy and was able to find the Flowmaster kit on Ebay for $625, so I pulled the trigger. I'll take some pics when it comes time to install it, and hopefully a couple videos of exterior and interior sound levels.

I had been extremely concerned over drone, but the more I thought about my driving, it's all city 8.5 miles each way to work at around 40mph most of the way, and then about 50-60mph heading to the station. The truck will be sitting around 1200rpm most of the time and shouldn't drone. The few times I actually do get on the highway, I'll figure out a way to deal with it.
jcat
How do you like the TonnoPro Lo Roll tonneau cover? Did you install it yourself? Was the install difficult? and Does it leak? Do you get any water in your bed? I'm thinking of a lopro cover for my next truck, but unsure of what brand.
Thanks for any info you can provide.
By the way beautiful truck. I like the race red with the chrome. Many happy miles.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:14 PM

Couldn't be happier with the LoRoll. IMO, best bang for the buck in a tonneau. Under $300, does exactly what I need it to.

I did install it myself, and in about 20 minutes. The longest part is adjusting the tension which is as simple as bolting and unbolting the adjuster plates. The instructions included with the cover are great.

It doesn't leak any appreciable amount, I don't really look in my bed all that often but I haven't noticed any water in the bed. The way it's designed, there are flaps at the front and rear that make it near impossible for water to get in. The sides are velcro and overlap the bed rail caps so nothing can get in there either. Come to think of it, when it rains I notice a TON of water on the bed rail caps but not in the bed.

Add to that, their warranty is far and away much better than any other similarly branded cover.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat
Couldn't be happier with the LoRoll. IMO, best bang for the buck in a tonneau. Under $300, does exactly what I need it to.

I did install it myself, and in about 20 minutes. The longest part is adjusting the tension which is as simple as bolting and unbolting the adjuster plates. The instructions included with the cover are great.

It doesn't leak any appreciable amount, I don't really look in my bed all that often but I haven't noticed any water in the bed. The way it's designed, there are flaps at the front and rear that make it near impossible for water to get in. The sides are velcro and overlap the bed rail caps so nothing can get in there either. Come to think of it, when it rains I notice a TON of water on the bed rail caps but not in the bed.

Add to that, their warranty is far and away much better than any other similarly branded cover.
Thanks jcat! Now to shop for the best prices.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lariat_D.B.P.M.
Thanks jcat! Now to shop for the best prices.

I purchased the one I put on my previous Ram at realtruck.com, who usually has pretty good sales.

This time around, I bought on ebay and was able to save a few bucks compared to the usual suspects.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:07 AM

Received my Flowmaster exhaust yesterday, cracked the box open and so I'll post some opening impressions. Hoping to get it put on the truck on Saturday.

First, the flowmaster kit is really well made. Bends are nice and smooth and everything looks great. One thing I will say is the welds on the muffler are kind of sloppy but it's under the truck so I don't really care that much. Tips are great looking polished double wall stainless.

Sumbitch was heavy. Shipping weight was listed at 75lb, but I guarantee it was more than that. Box is about 5'L x 1' w x 1' h, poor bastard UPS driver must have had a hell of a time with it.

Instructions were included, but they're black and white which kills any useful info in the pictures. But, they're readily available online and I've studied them enough to know what to do.

Slightly disappointing was that for the $600+ you pay for this kit, you don't get any Flowmaster swag. Not that I'd be plastering stickers all over my truck, but a couple goodies might have been nice.

Hoping to have it installed Saturday, at which point I'll take some videos.

Quick Reply: jcat's mini-build...'15 4x4 SCab XLT 302a