Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Screech / Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Intermittent Screech / Squeal

Ok it seems like I have an issue that stumps the Ford mechanics. Driving along at a constant speed as soon as you step on the gas i.e.: to pass, go up hill the truck lets out a loud screech / squeal ( best way I can think to describe it ) its very intermittent and can't always get it to duplicate. It also doesn't seem to matter speed as long as its constant. Has anyone had this issue that might be able to lead me in a direction to point these guys in?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:20 AM
Moddicted

Received 388 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by squirrelyyy
Ok it seems like I have an issue that stumps the Ford mechanics. Driving along at a constant speed as soon as you step on the gas i.e.: to pass, go up hill the truck lets out a loud screech / squeal ( best way I can think to describe it ) its very intermittent and can't always get it to duplicate. It also doesn't seem to matter speed as long as its constant. Has anyone had this issue that might be able to lead me in a direction to point these guys in?
my first thoughts are a belt is a little loose. But more information is needed like what engine do you have.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:33 AM

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I have had that happen 2 times. Dealer can't duplicate it so they don't even bother looking into it. 5.0 with 3.31
Old 05-30-2017, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by ABF150Fan
my first thoughts are a belt is a little loose. But more information is needed like what engine do you have.
I'm sorry 5.0. it almost sounds like metal grinding sound it's weird. I figured out how to duplicate so I took mech for a ride and when it happened he looked at me like deer in the headlights lol he said they might have to get ford engineers involved that he's never heard that before
Old 05-30-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

I've had a similar noise and struggle to duplicate it so won't bother with the dealer. Mine seems to occur when accelerating lightly around 35mph in 4 and it downshifts to 3. it sounds like a grinding kinda buzz horn noise. I'm thinking its a hanging valve in the trans or something.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm sorry 5.0. it almost sounds like metal grinding sound it's weird. I figured out how to duplicate so I took mech for a ride and when it happened he looked at me like deer in the headlights lol he said they might have to get ford engineers involved that he's never heard that before
How were you able to duplicate it?
Old 05-30-2017, 02:42 PM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by reschilling
I have had that happen 2 times. Dealer can't duplicate it so they don't even bother looking into it. 5.0 with 3.31
happened to me yesterday with the same setup.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by reschilling
How were you able to duplicate it?
For me I had to maintain constant throttle pressure say hold at we'll basically any speed just maintain it, slower speeds were easier. then after a couple seconds maybe 10 or more push down on pedal and it would scream. Figured it out quite by accident lol
Old 05-30-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That happened with My 2014 Platinum 6.2 liter! It was like a load grinding/screeching sound. I would roar like a howling monkey when trying to explain it! I tried to bring a mechanic twice when getting a oil change but it never happened when they drove it, of coarse! It only happened randomly and never seemed to cause any problems! But I ended up trading it in after 3 years with only 28,000 miles on it so it never ended up effecting me! But if I would have kept the truck I wonder what would have happened 30,000 more miles down the road? Let me know what you find out! I am now in a 2017 F 150 Platinum with a ecoboost Engine that I'm not very happy with! I rather have my 6.2 liter back with the screeching noise to deal with! At least I enjoyed driving it!
Old 05-30-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I screen shot this from a previous thread. I've had it happen a few times on my 2015 5.0 3.31 4x4. Sounds like it could be it.
Attached Thumbnails Intermittent Screech / Squeal-photo283.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
squirrelyyy (05-30-2017)