Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent power loss, low RPM, followed with P0345 and P0349

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 02:35 AM
N S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent power loss, low RPM, followed with P0345 and P0349

Hi, long time lurker. Scratching my head on the following issue and looking for some guidance, thank you.

Issue: Intermittent power loss followed by P0345 and P0349 DTCs. Has happened on 4 occasions, 3 of the 4 were at altitude of 4k feet (may not be relevant). Symptoms in all cases were experienced immediately upon startup and after driving 20 min or so, turning off the vehicle, letting it rest for 5 min or more and starting it back up, issue seemed to resolve itself and operation as normal.

When accelerating, or going up hill, right at about 2500 rpm the vehicle would feel very slow, boost gauge indicated it started to see boost, but never really continued (both boost and rpm), until you pushed the throttle all the way down and it would seem as if the second turbo would kick in. Not sure if the wastegate was stuck, or if the turbo wasn't spooling - but the experience felt like a loss of power at low end RPM.

Any thoughts, experiences, or guidance on what the issue may be? Thank you

2015 Ford F150 3.5 ecoboost FX4
103k mi

Some work done (just reference if it helps)
- replaced throttle body due to oil leak / throttle position sensor at 70k mi
- replaced spark plugs at 70k mi
- replaced bank 1 (driver side?) cam position sensors (2 of them) at 70k mi
- Boss/Halo leveling kit
- Sway bar end links replaced

Old 12-12-2022, 09:04 AM

Received 648 Likes on 452 Posts

Those two codes describe an intermittent signal and signal loss from the cam positioning sensors on both banks, position A intake cam sensors. Possibly causes include weak connection, open connection, poor ground and bad sensor.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:06 AM
N S

Thank you - I'll start with the sensors and work back through the harness. Any chance its a timing chain signal? At 100k mi I haven't replaced that yet, had to do it in my explorer sport at 80k mi (different DTC though)
Old 12-12-2022, 10:40 AM

Received 648 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by N S
Thank you - I'll start with the sensors and work back through the harness. Any chance its a timing chain signal? At 100k mi I haven't replaced that yet, had to do it in my explorer sport at 80k mi (different DTC though)
You probably mean crank position sensor signal. Lose that and the engine shuts down and won't start until fixed. Other problems associated with cam position errors would be the phasers or solenoids that drive the phasers. The timing can have a part in this to however, the fault signal for that failure is sensed off the cam position sensor when the cam is not in the position it's supposed to be as commanded by the PCM. That fault has its own set of codes and is most common. Your codes have to do with signal loss from the cam position sensor, not a position error.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:34 AM
N S

pinpoint test suggests bank 2 camshaft sensor 1 may be faulty. I know these sensors are both on the driver side back of the engine - I can feel them, but can't see them. I'm assuming 1 is the sensor located more central to the intake and 2 is the sensor more "outboard" on the driver side. I know they're side by side. I bought two sensors as well, thinking I'd replace both.

Its a blind remove/replace - anyone performed this? Any guidance as its a blind disconnect, 8mm bolt removal, insert, connection? Thank you.
Old 12-24-2022, 11:30 AM
N S

Replaced both bank2 camshaft position sensors (3 pin du102) for a 2015 3.5L eco boost. Code cleared, normal driving experience restored.

Its a completely blind job, but wasn't as hard as I expected.

Thank you.
Old 12-27-2022, 03:19 PM
N S

Alright same codes back.

only difference is check engine light is on fully even after code clears.

power loss seems to be below 2k rpm, buddy of mine said the cam in his gt350 was stuck in the “high rpm” lobe/position and was similar.

is this a thing? Something to diagnose? I’m f so how?

thank you

Quick Reply: Intermittent power loss, low RPM, followed with P0345 and P0349