Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info on my 17 KR thought I would share.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:23 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Info on my 17 KR thought I would share.

Hey Everyone!

I just thought I would share my thoughts on my 2017 King Ranch that I just hit 14,000 miles.
I have the 3.5 ecoboost, 10 speed, max tow package, tow mirrors, and pretty much every other option.
I always run 93 octane, full synthetic oil changes, etc. I take very good care of my stuff.
My daily commute consists of driving about 5 miles one way on 55 and 35mph speed limit rural roads with only about 1 or 2 stop signs, so I usually do about 60/45mph. I would say my typical driving is about 75 percent of what I mentioned.
During the summer I regularly tow my boat, a 25ft Cobalt that fully loaded with trailer, fuel, etc probably hovers around 7000lbs max.

So to date without towing I am getting 15.4mpg on the computer, which is absolutely horrible for what I am driving. In the summer towing the boat at 70-75 I am lucky to get 8. Is this what you guys are seeing? I did a test drive of my commute and some highway with a 2017 similar optioned F250 and it only got 1mpg less which seems crazy to me. I know I would smoke the towing mpg with the F250 also. Everyone says yeah but diesel fuel is so much more, but it really isn't when I am running premium.

Power of the truck is great, even when towing my boat. I mean...everyone wants more BUT I have never felt like the truck is under powered at all. It really pulls that weight well.

Weight of the truck, I wish it was heavier. In the snow the truck seems very skittish and there are times when I am putting it in 4WD that I would have never had to with my past trucks. However, when towing I never feel like the boat is driving me, it is only in the snow. I was originally going to swap out tires like I usually do but I was so disappointed in the MPG that I have held off debating about trading the truck in. I figured these tires would be OK, especially with only 14,000 miles on the truck so I think it is just the weight of the truck.

Room and features are great, with the King Ranch and all the options the truck has, I always joke that it is a country Cadillac. The options and features were some of the main driving forces in my purchase.

Dog friendly for sure, I fold up the back seats and the dogs get that whole area.

I just thought I would share my thoughts and see if you guys had any of the same feelings or suggestions.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you verified the lie-o-meter with hand calc'd numbers?
I can get the lie-o-meter over 20 if I watch the avg fuel gauge and baby it.
I get about 18.7-18.9 if I drive it "normal".

That is with a '16 3.5EB and the 6 speed with 3.55 gears. Same wheel and tire as you.

If I put it in sport mode and have fun, you can forget all that. Also, I haven't hand calc'd it in a while, but I think the lie-o-meter is pretty optimistic.

My driving is all over the place as well. I don't commute and most of my driving is leisure. It can go from highway, rural, and city all in the same day.

If you put the MyView on the Avg MPG, you'll get a bar graph where you can watch what is going on. Then you can see when you're really sucking it down.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Uglyknob
Have you verified the lie-o-meter with hand calc'd numbers?
I can get the lie-o-meter over 20 if I watch the avg fuel gauge and baby it.
I get about 18.7-18.9 if I drive it "normal".

That is with a '16 3.5EB and the 6 speed with 3.55 gears. Same wheel and tire as you.

If I put it in sport mode and have fun, you can forget all that. Also, I haven't hand calc'd it in a while, but I think the lie-o-meter is pretty optimistic.

My driving is all over the place as well. I don't commute and most of my driving is leisure. It can go from highway, rural, and city all in the same day.

If you put the MyView on the Avg MPG, you'll get a bar graph where you can watch what is going on. Then you can see when you're really sucking it down.
Yeah, my hand calculated is pretty close but if anything reality is on the lower side.
I never put it in sport mode because I know that is the devil, LOL!!
Yeah I watch the bar graph especially when I am towing to keep an eye on it and it makes me cry!
Old 01-04-2019, 05:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In regards to the part about MPG while not towing. I know there are tons of opinions out there and lots of different contributing factors, so I'm not saying this is the one single thing. At 5-10 miles, even with a little warm-up before leaving, the engine/trans is maybe up to full operating temperature by the time you reach your destination. I'd be curious if you got the same results if you clocked your trip at full operating temperature. Being in the Midwest, factor in winter temps and fuel too.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:42 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

Raptor owner. My commute is similar. About 7 miles each way 1/2 freeway 1/2 in town. My average is about the same as yours. About what I expect for commuting. On the freeway running 75-80 (not towing) I regularly hit 20mpg. Stop and go traffic is a killer of mpg.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:54 PM

Received 612 Likes on 439 Posts

that's crazy and not my experience at all. My lifetime average TUNED AND RUNNING 50% ETHANOL MIXTURE is at 16.9 mpg. If i reset it and run 93 it's 19.x mpg and the highway mileage skyrockets from 18-19 to like 22-23.

I have a 3.15 rear end and this is probably related lol.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:20 PM

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Just a thought about the fuel your running. Have you ever tried running a tankful of regular through it and see what you get? Now before everyone beats on me about this suggestion I have a 2017 XLT 3.5 3.55 axle and I actually get slightly better mileage running regular. I know FORD RECOMMENDS premium in some situations but in my case it didn't do much but cost me money. Towing the boat would probably be the only time I would use premium. I'm by far not an expert on this but it might be worth a try. BTW not towing anything running regular I see about 17 mpg around town and anywhere from 22 to 24 on the highway at around 65 mph depending the conditions.

Please note: This was in the summer with all conditions favoring good mileage. It drops a couple miles to the gallon in winter driving.

Last edited by Old64; 01-04-2019 at 06:29 PM. Reason: added note
Old 01-04-2019, 06:27 PM

Received 1,042 Likes on 654 Posts

5 miles isn't even long enough for the engine to get to optimal, most efficient temperature. Especially in the winter time. Engines will use more gas until they reach optimal running temp. That is where most of your gas mileage is going.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:32 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Using premium is not "taking care" of your truck.

Winter in Wisconsin, winter gas, 5 miles. I bet you get 14 or lower doing that drive.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I’m pretty disappointed in my mpg too. I’ve got the 2.7 and I don’t know if I’ve got a heavy foot or what but my lifetime mpg is 15.7 after 15k miles, regular fuel. Most fill ups I get about 16, max 18 if I baby it. All hand calc, but the computer is not far off. Typically drive 100 miles a day, mix of city and hwy.

I agree your short commute is killing your mpg here, truck is not even warmed up yet. But maybe you got a heavy foot too like me ��

Quick Reply: Info on my 17 KR thought I would share.