Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle fuel burn

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Idle fuel burn

Short question - Does anyone have a sense for the fuel burn per hour for a 3.5 ecoboost at idle?

Longer explanation as to why - I am going on a ski trip with my son this weekend with a fairly nasty forecast. Very cold temps while we are skiing and the potential for a major snow storm about the time we are heading home. If the forecasts are correct (yeah right) I would be foolish to try and drive home, I would not do anything foolish. However, I really should be back at work on Tuesday so I might have a bit of a tendency to roll the dice this time. My question really comes down to (and this is me going to the extreme of having made a stupid decision to drive home) if we hit bad weather and there were no hotels available or we were stuck on the road, how long can I run my truck before I worry about having enough gas to stay warm. I hope with a 36 gallon tank kept in the 2/3 full range that I would not have to worry for a day or so. I would just rather be prepared should such a situation arise.

Last edited by bojans; 01-24-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:42 PM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,504 Posts

The old 4.6 CVPIs were claimed by Ford to be 0.6gph at no load idle. Obviously, running things like additional equipment, emergency lights, air conditioning, etc. would dramatically increase this number. If you calculate for 1gph, you should be safe. Depending on what you're doing, you can also shut the truck down from time to time to save fuel. And take insulated sleeping bags so you don't have to keep the interior hot all the time.

Do keep in mind that catastrophes typically don't occur because of one big screwup. They occur at the end of a chain of little screw-ups. You've already started this chain (desire to go on a trip despite a nasty forecast... acknowledging that you might "roll the dice" - pressure to get back to work soon... good chance of no hotel availability) - don't turn yourself into a statistic.

Make sure you consider other things like food and water.
The following users liked this post:
bojans (01-23-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:29 AM

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

I think what tvsjr said pretty much sums everything up. Be prepared for worst case scenario with the proper equipment to keep you warm including food/water or plan on staying there until the end of the storm to be able to get home safely.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:11 AM

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

They sell small heaters for golf carts if you're really worried. Under a 100 bucks and can use them on the course if you golf.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:10 AM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

Most engines are at about a half gallon per hour. + or - one.

Get you a Scanguage or similar engine monitoring device and you'll know for sure. I've had one for about 20 years and wouldn't own a vehicle without it.

Last edited by msgtord; 01-24-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

As others mentioned, keep warm sleeping bags / blankets in your truck to keep warmer if needed.
Bring some food / water in case you are stuck for longer than planned.
There are a number of ways to heat a vehicle with no fuel (candles / small heaters / etc), but they all have pros and cons (produce carbon monoxide / fire danger).
As others mentioned you will likely have a burn rate of 0.5 - 1.0 gph.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:37 PM

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,195 Posts

Take sleeping bags, pillows, and pads or cots. Should you get caught in shelter in place conditions, a hotel will let you bed down in the lobby or dining area (after guests have cleared out) if they have no rooms available.

But really, this is just winter camping. If you don't have cold weather bags, bring an old comforter, some fleece garments, and wool socks. You won't need to run the truck at all.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:16 PM

Received 410 Likes on 292 Posts

It's obvious your have ski gear and know how to stay warm. Would just fill up 2 Jerry cans of extra fuel and secure them in the bed of the truck for EM piece of mind. One note you did not mention the year of your 3.5 Eco boost. Reason some years have condensation issues in the inter-cooler with extended idle time. Here is a link and probably many more on this issue out there.

Go enjoy the ski trip.

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/there-...ild-up-353664/

Old 01-24-2019, 02:47 PM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,504 Posts

If you're taking fuel, make sure you have the proper funnel as well. It would be embarrassing to have fuel on board, but no way to get it into the tank.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:11 PM

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tvsjr
If you're taking fuel, make sure you have the proper funnel as well. It would be embarrassing to have fuel on board, but no way to get it into the tank.
I thought all F150s had the funnel extension under the rear seat?( SCAB and SCREW)

Quick Reply: Idle fuel burn