Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypertech Speedometer Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hypertech Speedometer Calibration

I am debating on getting the hypertech to re calibrate my speedometer after larger tires, but the warranty issue is a big deciding factor. While I know no answer other than my dealership is definitive, I am just curious on others experience with the hypertech/speedometer calibration and warranty issues?
Old 03-03-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jsf1089
I am debating on getting the hypertech to re calibrate my speedometer after larger tires, but the warranty issue is a big deciding factor. While I know no answer other than my dealership is definitive, I am just curious on others experience with the hypertech/speedometer calibration and warranty issues?
They can not see that is is there. On my F250 I had one installed for the larger tires and my buddy at the dealership said there was no way for him to see it electronically. He would have to be in the dash for some reason.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in the same boat too deciding. I actually tried ordering one from a vendor a couple weeks ago and they ended up cancelling because I am in California. I asked them but didn't get an explanation why it's not allowed. Assumed it was something with CARB. (if anyone knows I am curious).

Before that I actually had a Service Manager at a local dealership tell me he could do it so I brought my truck in for it. I only went from 265/60/18 to 275/65/18 which are both OEM sizes. Later he found from his techs they couldn't do it on these 2015+ model.
Warranty wise he did tell me as long as I stay within OEM I should be good on coverage for what that is worth.

I don't mind short term but eventually I'd like to be putting mileage on this truck so want speedo and odometer to be fairly accurate. And I like my new 'bigger' tires and don't want to go back down.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 3,522 Likes on 1,689 Posts

If you are worried, just return it to "stock" before you take it to the dealer. Two minutes to download.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe when you flash for different tire sizes. It's through the PCM not the ECM. It should not show up as a flash count unlike if you have a programmer that flashes for additional hp to minipulate the fueling through the ECM. Maybe an actual Ford Tech can chime in.

I have utilized the Hypertech the past few trucks for 35" tires. Never an issue. As for not able to purchase the Hypertech speedometer calibrator in California, because CARB feels tire size affects emissions. No joke.....thier was an article a couple years back about CARB and oversize tires to be looked at because of wasted fuel produce more emissions.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP...I think I read the Hypertech saves your default size or settings. As someone mentioned you can flash back and forth as needed. I guess for warranty purposes it would matter if Ford said the bigger tires caused transmission or some other drivetrain issue.

mill72 thanks for the info. CARB being illogical. If they did ban a calibrator tool to adjust for bigger tires but any tire store or dealer for that matter will put whatever size tire you want to buy in California then what's the point really.
I'm a passenger riding on the highway now and I lost count how many trucks with bigger than OEM size we saw.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:13 PM
Gunner Retz

Received 103 Likes on 44 Posts

Folks, Ford can not void your warranty for recalibrating your speedometer. The only way they can void your warranty is to prove that the part(s) that you installed was the cause of the failed part. Here is the Federal Trade Commission ruling on it - Moss-Magnuson Act
Old 03-04-2017, 06:06 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by mill72
I believe when you flash for different tire sizes. It's through the PCM not the ECM. It should not show up as a flash count unlike if you have a programmer that flashes for additional hp to minipulate the fueling through the ECM. Maybe an actual Ford Tech can chime in.

The Hypertech Speedometer calibrator for 2015+ F150s adjusts the tire diameter in the BCM - not the PCM.

Edit: the above statement in not entirely complete or accurate. The Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator flashes the PCM as well as the BCM. That is why there is no DTC when it is done. It counts as a flash as well - as all PCM flash activity is as such. And altered data is there for all to see if one goes looking for it.

Last edited by tmcolegr; 03-04-2017 at 11:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mill72 (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 07:46 AM

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcolegr
The Hypertech Speedometer calibrator for 2015+ F150s adjusts the tire diameter in the BCM - not the PCM.
Interesting, does it shows a DTC also like ForScan then?
Old 03-04-2017, 08:04 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by sticker500
Interesting, does it shows a DTC also like ForScan then?
I have no idea - never checked but I would assume there is. No CEL so I really don't care if there's a DTC.
The following users liked this post:
sticker500 (03-04-2017)